Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing WW2 photo of damaged plane flying

Options
  • 22-04-2011 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

I don't know anything about aviation, but would it have been very hard for the pilot to fly this plane with about 1/4 of the wing missing ?

niash.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/niash.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's kindof interesting what you don't actually need to fly.

page42-b52notail.jpg

wing.jpg
    (Same aircraft below)
    phz-nowing-f15.jpg
    The IAF (Israeli Air Force) contacted McDonnell Douglas and asked for information about possibility to land an F-15 with one wing. MD replied that this is aerodynamically impossible, as confirmed by computer simulations... Then they received the photo....

And of course, you can always get the convertible versions of aircraft, if you like the open skies.

504x_00000122ad4a832607ee3251004300c0002e001c.Sukhoi_su27_canopy.jpg

safe_aloha.jpg
    (Joking aside, there was a fatality on that one)

Of course, with my luck, if the elevator trim tab falls off my airplane, I'm going to crash and die.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Yep, there's a few stories like these.
    It makes one wonder why are they building them so complicated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

F-8wingsfolded67.jpg

This guy had both wings intact, but forgot to unfold them!

Here's another.

F_4wingfold.JPG

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Here's another.

F_4wingfold.JPG

NTM

Is that an F4 Phantom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

How those jets made it to the WWII is a bit of mystery to me ;)

They were all aboard the USS Nimitz, yes EVEN the BUFF!!!

89808598_a3bc27c306.jpg

Grammar nitpick of the day: One does not use the definite article when referring to a ship by name except for emphasis. "They were aboard USS Nimitz" would be more correct. Otherwise it would be like my saying "I was speaking to the Gatecrash on Boards"

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There was also a partial ejection during vietmam I believe, the co-pilot or navigator accidentally ejected through the sealed canopy which cracked open but caught him from going all the way out.

The pilot then had to return to the carrier with an unconcious, partially ejected co-pilot whose parachute had deployed behind him covering a tail fin and skewing the aerodynamics completely. The footage has been on a few documentaries over the years.

• Advertisement

A6_Landing_LT_Gallagher_1.jpg

http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/

Now, the fun one was the guy who got sucked through an engine and survived when the turbine blades broke, to fall out the other side. I'm trying to find corroboration on that one though, the best I can find is one guy got sucked into the intake of an A6 and got stuck.

NTM

89808598_a3bc27c306.jpg

Grammar nitpick of the day: One does not use the definite article when referring to a ship by name except for emphasis. "They were aboard USS Nimitz" would be more correct. Otherwise it would be like my saying "I was speaking to the Gatecrash on Boards"

NTM

I always thought it was more correct to use the definite article.

I know ships have personalities, same as cars and tanks etc, but i would always use the 'the' ...

From el Wikio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix
    Note that while calling a US ship "the USS Flattop" may make grammatical sense, the preliminary article "the" is discouraged by nearly all style guides, and the U.S. Navy. The U.S. Navy uses ship names without article, except for USS The Sullivans, named for the five Sullivan brothers, all lost at sea during World War II.[citation needed] Its British equivalent ("the HMS Flattop") is also discouraged, since "the Her Majesty's Ship" would be grammatically incorrect

(Which I disagree with, for the record, but it does reinforce the non-use of the article)

From a university website:
    http://writingcenter.unlv.edu/writing/articles.html
    In general, you do not need to use articles when discussing singular proper nouns (those which refer to a specific place, thing or person/people)

Or an English Language website
    http://www.english-test.net/lessons/16/index.html
    Not Used
    Before countries, towns, proper names

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Oh how I love it when a thread turns into a grammar lesson

Heres the lucky guy who got a close up look at the inside of a jet engine running on full throttle and survived! Needless to say the plane wasn't able to fly after the incident, so maybe it doesn't run with the theme of the thread:p

Advertisement