Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portumna 100k, 50k and U-Marathon 18/6/2011

Options
  • 06-04-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Lap course
    Race website
    Last years thread including poll results

Just wanted to restart this thread for this years race. Ill deffo be own there again this year. Most probably the 100k if i get through conn alright.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 15 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    93%
    locteaud11gunnerOisin11178Ath36hot to trotMick Ricejaymack75tratsAimmandoctorchickIrishman99Murphyboyjonny99diddleyland 14 votes
    3 stars (average)
    6%
    broders3 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

I'll probably see you there myself, all going well. Anyone else on for this one. Very well organised last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

4 stars (good)
    I'll be doing it (100k) , but not thinking about it yet, till Conn is out of the way on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Did the marathon last year and really enjoyed it so planning on doing it again this year(if Connemara doesn't finish me off on Sunday). Might consider the 50k if I dont feel up to a PB effort in the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

4 stars (good)
    This year looks better and better, with hopefully a sponsor on the way.

Entries are already bigger than last year......

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭opus

I'd love to give the 50k a go but it's on 13 days after the Cork marathon so don't think I'd be sufficiently recovered in time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Mac Cormaic

I'm hoping to do the marathon here. Like the ideal of a nice scenic run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 den99

When I entered I can't remember if there was an option to select which race you were planning to run, or is this something you decide on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I'm entered on the 50k, just did my first run this morning after the Conn marathon, feels good - in a painful way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

In relation to the 50k what is the thinking in terms of LSR's. I'll have done both the Connemara and Kildare marathons and about 11 or 12 20's since Christmas. I don't really enjoy the 20's so if I could get away without a 22 or 24 I'd prefer to. Having done a good few marathons I've plenty of experience running out of steam with a mile(or more!) to go but I wouldn't like to have to endure 10 or 12 miles like that. Any advice on back to back LSR's as an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

there is no easy way,youl have to put in the miles in,though if ur just after conn maraton u should be at or near ur peak and it could be just a matter of keepin ur endurance up with a few sneaki long ones....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just wonderign if anyone knows what time the 50K is starting at. On the website is says 8am but in the information pack on RunIreland its 6am.

Thanks

4 stars (good)
    Starts will be as follow :

6am for 100km
    8am for 50km
    10am for Marathon
    12am or 2pm for maybe a 5k for the locals

We are working on a new website and will check the details between the two sites.

Thanks for pointing this out

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

locteau wrote: »
    Starts will be as follow :

6am for 100km
    8am for 50km
    10am for Marathon
    12am or 2pm for maybe a 5k for the locals

We are working on a new website and will check the details between the two sites.

Thanks for pointing this out
    I hope you mean 12PM and not 12AM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

4 stars (good)
    Looking forward to this one again this year. If it's anything like as much craic as last year, it'll be a good day out. Am glad to see the sta\rt time for the 50km a bit later this year than last. It was hard to get running at 06:00am last time. With slightly bigger fields this should be a little more competitive this time. Would love to shave some time off my 2010 time if possible. A sub 3:20 run is my target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    Just signed up for the 100k:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Murphyboy

4 stars (good)
    I've also signed up for the 100k and will be flying back from Australia for it. Can't wait!! My first race in Ireland and it sounds like it will be a memorable one :D

4 stars (good)
    Hi Guys just a few queries received by email which might help others :

1) Is it best to come to Galway or Limerick : I would say Galway, Motorway is quicker and bus services. Ballinasloe is the closest town really.

2) Where do I stay ?
    Accommodation we always recommend the Shannon Oaks Hotel as they help us with parking etc.... They have self catering chalets.
    >
    3) Is there bus service to the start from Galway or Limerick.

Kearns Transport (http://www.kearnstransport.com/) do the Galway and Dublin routes.

Other than that all I can mention is ‘The Local Bus’ which is run by South East Galway IRD (090-9741867) and runs between Portumna and Ballinasloe but I think this just runs once per week on a Friday / Saturday and goes further on to Athlone one Friday per month. I think seats have to be booked in advance to use this too but it’s best to contact them for details."

Seb

4 stars (good)
    Hi Guys,

I will organise a training run, nothing serious just for people who want to see or try the course out on Sunday 22nd of May at 2:30pm.

We will meet at the Shannon Oaks hotel in the car park.

you run what ever distance you want......

let me know if you are interested.

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

4 stars (good)
    I will be away in Germany that weekend, so I wont be able to make it, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

4 stars (good)
    I'll try to be there .... Portumna is a beautiful place to run and I certainly don't need much excuse to go out there :-)

Thanks Seb!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Guys,

Just remember this sunday we will be meeting in Portumna to run the 5k loop.

I will only do 4 laps myself but if anybody else want to come along you can run as much or as little you want.

2:30pm We will meet at the Shannon Oaks hotel in the car park.

I will have my Jeep (Nissan terrano 96G)

Seb

4 stars (good)
    This time of the year guys, where you can send me your music playlist and I will play it during the event.

From last year experience, please send it to me as a mp3 or make your list and I will try to get them for you on my itune.

As usual I have a full PPI licence to play it.

Sebastien Locteau

Race Director

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 diy1

Did the marathon last year. Was nervous of the 8 laps but worked out great as it gave a good chance to see the other runners. Also got a chance to see the 50k and 100k guys. I thought the organizing was great, two refreshment tables in the lap and stocked with everything, nice surroundings. Giving the 100k a try this year. Just finished the last of 3 sets of back to back 42ks so beginning to wind down. Will do the Cork marathon on Monday but haven't decided on a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 diy1

Did the Cork marathon in 3:58. It turned out that 2 of the 3 , four hour pacers are also doing the 100k in Portumna. Legs felt tierd at the end but hopefully with a reduction in miles for the next two weeks and a bit of walking on the day the 100k wont be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    diy1 wrote: »
    Did the Cork marathon in 3:58. It turned out that 2 of the 3 , four hour pacers are also doing the 100k in Portumna. Legs felt tierd at the end but hopefully with a reduction in miles for the next two weeks and a bit of walking on the day the 100k wont be too bad.
    Good luck with the 100k. Ill be down there to, so see you there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Mac Cormaic

diy1 wrote: »

Can I still register for the Portumna marathon does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

4 stars (good)
    I hope so , as I'm not committing myself until next weekend . Need to suss out a niggle . Not sure if I am fit to do marathon distance yet. If you hear of an earlier cut off entry date , please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

. Need to suss out a niggle . Not sure if I am fit

h2t...tuttut;).....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Seen on the website - that if you email the organiser 1 week in advance - he will allow arrangements to be made to pick up your number/reg pack on the morning of the race.

Am hoping to run a race the night before - so getting to portumna a day early is not possible for me.

Where can I get an email address - the one I tried from the website bounced back. Will register on RunIreland when I get his all clear.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Yes you can register before the event if not too many are asking for it......

All the info are here :
    https://sites.google.com/a/sebfitness.com/sebfitness/events/portumna-marathon

sebastien

Advertisement