Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HELP!! How can i get rid of ad.doubleclick.net...its ruining boards.ie for me???

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of ad.doubleclick.net as its really starting to annoy me and in particular here on boards it slows pages loading so much that i'm reluctant to go on boards.ie at all...it's so frustrating.

I'm using Mozilla with Windows XP OS on my pc and i've tried going into Tools > Options > Privacy > Remove Individual Cookies (to remove it) and Tools > Options > Content > Exceptions > Block (to block it)

But nothing seems to work - I don't want to start downloading a lot of software as this isn't my pc (but its the main one i use) I've googled this and generally what i've done seems to be recommended but I see a lot of people seem to have problems ridding themselves of this thing.

This is driving me up the wall so any help would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks
    DrF ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

DrFroggies wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of ad.doubleclick.net as its really starting to annoy me and in particular here on boards it slows pages loading so much that i'm reluctant to go on boards.ie at all...it's so frustrating.

I'm using Mozilla with Windows XP OS on my pc and i've tried going into Tools > Options > Privacy > Remove Individual Cookies (to remove it) and Tools > Options > Content > Exceptions > Block (to block it)

But nothing seems to work - I don't want to start downloading a lot of software as this isn't my pc (but its the main one i use) I've googled this and generally what i've done seems to be recommended but I see a lot of people seem to have problems ridding themselves of this thing.

This is driving me up the wall so any help would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks
    DrF ;-)

edit your hosts file and add the following line.

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

a link how to edit your hosts file in case you dont know how

http://www.fpweb.net/support/managed-hosting/hostfile-editing-support.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭francois

Edit your hosts file

c:\windows\system 32\drivers\etc\hosts

open the file with wordpad
    After the last line add this

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

go to start, run, type system32 and press return. double click the folder drivers, then double click the folder etc, right click hosts file or double click it and open with notepad. click your pointer after local host and press ruturn to type on new line this -

Type : 127.0.0.1ad.doubleclick.net

go to file and save. thats it.

also a good app for firefox is adblock plus

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Thanks guys I'll give those a try...hopefully I'll have this problem solved - can't understand why Mozilla have the option to remove or block cookies when it simply doesn't work:rolleyes:

Anyway hopefully your suggestions will do the trick.

Thanks one and all
    DrF ;-)

Hi Guys,

Followed those steps and I think i did it right but I still can't get rid of ad.doubleclick.net.

When I opened it and saved it in notepad it just saved another file beside the host file in notepad like this (see attached image) Is that as it should be (the yellow highlighter is just something i added to jpeg).

And whilst the 127.0.0.1ad.doubleclick.net is visable in the dublicate (notepad version) it's not visable in 'hosts' here's some of my hosts list with the doubleclick stuff:
    10.18.250.4 ad.doubleclick.net
    10.18.250.4 ad.fastclick.net
    10.18.250.4 ads.fastclick.net
    The 'host' list then ends with:
    # Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    # End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    and it was after this that i placed the 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net line.

Was that right? Or was i supposed to delete the above (10.18.250.4 ad.doubleclick.net) info first or did i simply paste it in the wrong place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looks like you did a Save As and saved it as a file called hosts.txt?

Edit the original hosts file again and do a straight save.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Looks like you did a Save As and saved it as a file called hosts.txt?

Edit the original hosts file again and do a straight save.

Cheers - what i think seemed to be happening was that it was a 'read only' file so when i clicked 'save' it went into save as and saved in the other format.

I've un-ticked 'read only' repasted it and re-ticked 'read only' so hopefully that will work.

Do i need to reboot or should i be removing the
    information out of the hosts file.

Or now that i've pasted the - 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net info in there do i just leave everything as is?

Hopefully its worked anyway - thanks!

It hasn't :-( What going on here??? Arrrrggghhh. This is the way my hosts file looks
    10.18.250.4 ad.fastclick.net
    10.18.250.4 ads.fastclick.net
    etc etc then after the list there's this:
    # Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    # End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    <<<<<And i pasted the 127 info just there...is that right?

Maybe i just need to re-boot - i'll try that now.

Advertisement