Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2011, 15:46   #1
lmerrigan

Quote for coving - is this right?!

Hey!

Just wondering if there's any plasterers out there that can give me some feedback on this quote I got for coving

Price I got was E340 for a 15.5ft X 15ft room (almost a perfect square so not a complecated job!). Price includes both labour and supplies. He said its a day job for 2 so i reckon its labour putting the price up.

Is this a fair price?
Thanks
Advertisement
26-02-2011, 15:56   #2
Cocoon1100

That seems very expensive. I got 3 bedrooms, kitchen, sittingroom and hall done 5 years ago (in the boom) for E400. But we supplied the coving.

I would get another quote if I was you.
26-02-2011, 16:14   #3
lmerrigan

Wow, that does seem high compared to the price you got!!

I think i will be ringing another one to get a quote!!

Thanks Cocoon
26-02-2011, 16:58   #4
gsxr1
Closed Account

It seems fine to me. Is it a cash price?

He wants a days wage and is driving about finding the stuff.
26-02-2011, 20:46   #5
cardwizzard

Depends on the type of coving he's putting up I suppose. If it is a days work x2, i don't know if it is but if it is thats not a bad price. Have you got high ceilings?
Advertisement
26-02-2011, 21:24   #6
brendankelly
Banned

Putting up coving is a 2 man job. It will take them most of the day to do it because they have to wait for the filler to set. Then fill nail holes and smooth it off etc etc. They would be able to do the entire house in around the same time so you cannot compare one job with the other. The price is fine.
27-02-2011, 10:52   #7
fred funk }{

Seems like a good price to me. How much do you expect two men to work a day for?
27-02-2011, 11:41   #8
Carlow52
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred funk }{ View Post
Seems like a good price to me. How much do you expect two men to work a day for?
Am not disagreeing with u but

It depends what you consider a day to be and what rate and also if is black money.

Suppose they work 5 hrs each for the day and the black money rate is 10 euro an hour then
labour is 100 euro for the job.

The room is 15' sq so 60 feet plus 6 feet for waste etc so he is buying 66 feet at c 5 euro a foot.....

The OP needs to spec exactly the coving he needs as I saw a case where the coving used was the polystyrene stuff stuck on in a flash and all done in a few hours.

Client was irate but they told her, u never said....
27-02-2011, 12:24   #9
fred funk }{

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlow52 View Post
Am not disagreeing with u but

It depends what you consider a day to be and what rate and also if is black money.

Suppose they work 5 hrs each for the day and the black money rate is 10 euro an hour then
labour is 100 euro for the job.

The room is 15' sq so 60 feet plus 6 feet for waste etc so he is buying 66 feet at c 5 euro a foot.....

The OP needs to spec exactly the coving he needs as I saw a case where the coving used was the polystyrene stuff stuck on in a flash and all done in a few hours.

Client was irate but they told her, u never said....

Im sorry but since when is 5 hours a days work
A days work is deemed to be 8 hours so going by your calculations that 80 euro each and 160 for the two for labour leaving 180 for materiels, diesel, tools toll bridge, insurance, tax etc.

To me they didn't quote enough. Plasters are highly skilled people that do jobs most people can't do. Try getting some local handyman to plaster a wall and see how it turns out.

How much do you get paid per day?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2011, 13:49   #10
gsxr1
Closed Account

Even if it is a 5 hour day. It needs to be charged at a full day as the day is gone. Plus:

You may pay someone who works in Lidl 10 euro an hour to stack a shelf.

But if you expect a tradesman with 1000s in tools and years spend learning a trade, to call to your home and do a skilled job for 10 euro an hour(plus his tax) then the country is worse than I thought.

I would not do it for less than the price if I was a plasterer.

People think that because work is slack at the moment they can get things done for free. But a lads quality of work will reflect the price.

For that price I would expect a job done correctly and the work to be guaranteed.

Last edited by gsxr1; 27-02-2011 at 19:53.
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2011, 14:06   #11
2 stroke

This price appears cheap if they are doing a proper job, especially if this is in a room that is lived in, carpets, curtains, furniture, paint ect. Remember that if anything goes wrong you will probably hold them liable.
27-02-2011, 14:49   #12
mickdw

If that price is for the plasterboard type coving, it is expensive. If however, its for the more expensive (and very brittle & time consuming) solid plaster type, its a great price. The heavy plaster one also has to be screw fixed and holes filed etc whereas the plasterboard type one with the paper surface is just stuck up.

Ensure also that they leave the room ready for painting. Some people fit coving and leave it needing filling along the edges.

Also, as someone said, if its a carpeted room, etc it mean more care is needed and will slow down the work.

I personally have often fitted the plasterboard one to a 15 x 15 room with a few corners in about 4 hours. Thats myself with a completely unskilled helper who just holds the end for me. I would also be much more particular re the corner joints than 90% of the coving work I see done too.

The other type would take a full day really.

As for the polystyrene,dont even dream of using that stuff.
27-02-2011, 17:38   #13
lmerrigan

Thanks for all replies and info guys

Yes, the room is already lived in so we will move all the furniture for them to access the ceilings and it is a cash price. The ceilings are standard for a new house, think about 8ft but dont quote me on that!

I did ask for the standard coving, nothing fancy but made sure to say not polystyrene either! They did say that it would be filled along the edges so will basically be ready for painting when they're finished. I actually got their name off the painter whose doing hall at the mo!

Thanks again
15-03-2014, 02:38   #14
Ryan51

Hi, I think that's expensive but then again, when I was a 19 year old girl, I successfully put plasterboard coving up in my room myself with no mitre block, just a saw (and one or two practice pieces). I had help holding the longer pieces in place from my non-DIY-minded father. Just about to start another room in my own house now and was wondering if there are better adhesives available nowadays...
15-03-2014, 07:55   #15
DenisCork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51 View Post
Hi, I think that's expensive but then again, when I was a 19 year old girl, I successfully put plasterboard coving up in my room myself with no mitre block, just a saw (and one or two practice pieces). I had help holding the longer pieces in place from my non-DIY-minded father. Just about to start another room in my own house now and was wondering if there are better adhesives available nowadays...
Dublin providers sell cove/ cornice adhesive. I think It's called p20 or c20 something like that. It's a bag of powder very good stuff.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion