Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Hanafins mother claims 62k

• 05-02-2011 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to see that Mary Hanafins mother can claim a cool 62k as compensation after a fall in Leinster House, I wonder if an average person did the same would they be be looked after as well?

The Examiner reports:

The records also highlight how almost €5.7m was spent in 2009 by the Oireachtas on "incidental expenses".

They included a payout of €62,577 to the State Claims Agency as a settlement to an action for damages and legal fees brought by the mother of Tourism, Culture and Sport Minister, Mary Hanafin, after she suffered a fall during a visit to Leinster House in 2007.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the operative word here is "compensation" - that is restoring someone to the position they would have been in, had the incident not occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

wasn't this in the media a year or two ago ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭GSF

I'd be more worried that her father was Des - the legendary 1980's moral crusader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It happened in 2007 and the case was settled in February 2009.

Why bring it up now? Two year anniversary?
    Your OP makes it seem this case was settled yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It came out in a FOI request from a journalist yesterday.
    The cost was borne by the Oireachtas as an *incidental expense*

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/revealed-the-38m-bill-to-run-oireachtas-for-one-year-144333.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I say if you did some research you could find family members of politicians from every party who have claimed money for compensation. Sure they know the ways. If you marry a farmer, you are gonna know how to milk the cow ;)

Not surprised by it being a FFer, I myself have heard of a wife of a Labour MEP who had quite a reputation for falling down quite a lot and earning a lot of money years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think its disgraceful. Was her mother so badly injured so as to lose 2 years wages? I doubt it. What injuries did she have?
    I hope daughter loses votes over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Why was her mother in the Dáil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

the main point of interest here is that during her term as minister foe edu, she asked parents of primary school children not to proceed with claims if their kids were injured at school, if one checks back the mother recieved this compesation around the time of the ministers statement.

flutered wrote: »
    the main point of interest here is that during her term as minister foe edu, she asked parents of primary school children not to proceed with claims if their kids were injured at school,

She made the statement in 2005, you're correct
    if one checks back the mother recieved this compesation around the time of the ministers statement.

Mona Hanifan was compensated in February 2009
    Mary Hanifan left the Education job in May 2008 to head what is now Social Protection, not even close to the same time

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

doesnt suprise me one bit. the hanafins are up to their knees in all sorts in dail eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nice to see that Mary Hanafins mother can claim a cool 62k as compensation after a fall in Leinster House,.
    Indeed it is, It's good to know that the basic fabric of society, including compensation for injury, is still in place. :)

(In my view, posts such as the above add nothing to the debate and could be a trigger for a spate of mud-slinging that obscures the real issues.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

If i brought my wife into my place of work and she took a fall, I would be hugely embarrassed. If she then sought a claim against them i doubt i'd even have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

This is Mary Hannafins mother, not Mary Hannafin. What has this got to do with her?

Posters here were giving out about suggested unpropriety when it was Gilmores wife that was under the spotlight, saying the business transaction had nothing to do with Eamonn.

Boards.ie posters keeping to their high double standards as usual. Its only a problem if it has a whiff of FF about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

BluePlanet wrote: »
    If i brought my wife into my place of work and she took a fall, I would be hugely embarrassed. If she then sought a claim against them i doubt i'd even have a job.

I agree.

I know that this compensation was granted over a year ago, for an incident that happened at least five years ago, but I think it's important that people are reminded of it, in case they're softening to FF lately. I know I would have forgotten about this incident myself, which I believe is appalling btw.

Does anyone know the extent of this woman's injuries to warrant almost seventy thousand compensation?

Fittle wrote: »
    I agree.

I know that this compensation was granted over a year ago, for an incident that happened at least five years ago, but I think it's important that people are reminded of it, in case they're softening to FF lately. I know I would have forgotten about this incident myself, which I believe is appalling btw.

Does anyone know the extent of this woman's injuries to warrant almost seventy thousand compensation?

Is it any of our business?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

no surprise she got injured in the dail, just surprised it was not on one of the many trips she her accompanied her daughter abroad attaxpayers expense. Another money grabbing FFer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

the main point of interest here is that during her term as minister foe edu, she asked parents of primary school children not to proceed with claims if their kids were injured at school, if one checks back the mother recieved this compesation around the time of the ministers statement.

Nice one.:D
    Of course she can point out she never asked the children to tell their parents not to proceed with injury compo claims in school (the Dail is kinda like Junior Infants)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you mean as boards users or as the ones paying this sum?

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you mean as boards users or as the ones paying this sum?

Both. Isn't the woman entitled to privacy. Or do things like that go out the window when the person is the mother of a FF TD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It's another example of double standards in FF which hasn't been outed to the extent to which it existed. I could go on and on with examples of how FF ministers and TD's used our (taxpayers) money as their own personal slush fund which they wanted to bestow upon their family, friends and FF supporters. A disgrace. The 25th Feb just cant come soon enough for me!!!!!

Personally I don't care. I assume that it was dealt with appropriately and independently.
    Actually, I'm not bothered about her compensation - I'd be more offended by her choice of husband and the fact that she spawned that yoke!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Both. Isn't the woman entitled to privacy. Or do things like that go out the window when the person is the mother of a FF TD?
    So she falls over in the national parliament and sues the state,costing the tax payer over 60k+ medical and legal expences, and you want it to be kept private!

Are you a fianna fail t.d.? Seriously?

In fairness, its only newsworthy because she is a TDs mother. Who cares.
    How many other people have fallen in there in the past and how much was paid out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Hopefully, Mary Hanafin won't retain her seat in the GE. Obnoxious & arrogant.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This is Mary Hannafins mother, not Mary Hannafin. What has this got to do with her?

Posters here were giving out about suggested unpropriety when it was Gilmores wife that was under the spotlight, saying the business transaction had nothing to do with Eamonn.

Boards.ie posters keeping to their high double standards as usual. Its only a problem if it has a whiff of FF about it.

That's an entirely reasonable point (minus the bit about "Boards.ie posters keeping to their high double standards as usual." - most people here actually have high standards of discussion, which is how we like it). What mother Hanafin does after a fall in the Dáil isn't all that relevant to political discussion unless daughter (Mary) Hanafin pushed her down the Leinster House stairs, which I think we can all assume wasn't the case (don't even think of replying to that with a "hilarious" remark please).

Personally I'd be far more interested in the €118,648 paid for press monitoring by an external company when the Dáil has seven staff to do that, why taking a picture of Terry Leyden with a Christmas tree costs €486 and why a records management company is "injesting" objects (which sounds pretty painful). Cleaning costs of half a million for the year seem a little high to be honest as well, despite the size of the place. These are perhaps relevant to something worth looking at.

And these sums "regularly in excess of €1,000" for leaflet distribution, mentioned in the article. What could easily have been used as an example of that (but wasn't) was Willie O'Dea paying €20,000 of state money for distribution of his leaflets under Dáil allowances (at least €14,000 went to one FF councillor to distribute some Willie leaflets and they call that pretty dodgy where I come from). That's something to be concerned about.

There's a line between important / relevant and less important / less relevant. A compensation claim for a fall is less important than the other wackery, probable disdain for reasonable costs and crookery I've listed above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

All citizens are entitled to sue for compensation if they feel their injuries were caused by the negligence of another.
    In this case the matter was handled by The State Claims Agency who are an extremely professional organisation. They will defend the defendable claims but settle the undefendable claims.

Mrs. Hanafin did not receive €62K in compensation. She obtained €30K with the balance paid for legal costs.

As in all claims the claimant is medically examined and the injuries verified.

How many people on here have sought compensation as a result of an accident at work, in a car or in a public place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That is 2009 expenditure only and we dont know what was spent in 2008 or 2007

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

sceptre wrote: »
    What mother Hanafin does after a fall in the Dáil isn't all that relevant to political discussion unless daughter (Mary) Hanafin pushed her down the Leinster House stairs, which I think we can all assume wasn't the case

I really must laugh at this.
    I began a thread saying that Ivor Callelly's wife and family(whether his is guilty or not of fraud etc.) are brought up and linked to him as part of a "business empire" and Eamon Gilmore's wife is considered not part of EG's business.
    I specifically state thisis double standards
    The thread is locked and I charged with soap boxing

Now people are bringing up Hannafin's ( whether you like her or not or she is guilty of anything ) mother and trying to like this to Hannafin making a statement about people claiming for injuries sustained in schools!

How can Hannafin's family and Ivor's family be considered fair game but Gilmore's wife be considered off limits?

There's a line between important / relevant and less important / less relevant. A compensation claim for a fall is less important than the other wackery, probable disdain for reasonable costs and crookery I've listed above.

AS I have frequently stated ther is a difference between "in the public interest" i.e. out of the public purse and "those things in which the public are interested" i.e. the private lives
    of people which cost the state nothing.

RGS wrote: »
    All citizens are entitled to sue for compensation if they feel their injuries were caused by the negligence of another.
    In this case the matter was handled by The State Claims Agency who are an extremely professional organisation. They will defend the defendable claims but settle the undefendable claims.

Mrs. Hanafin did not receive €62K in compensation. She obtained €30K with the balance paid for legal costs.

Now maybe we should look into why it costs 32k for medical treatment for a fall and for loss of earnings during the period of treatment?

I had chemotherapy which week on week if you add it up cost about 10k a week.
    I took up about three hours a day of nurses time monitoring me and plugging mew into a machine that poisoned me. I could wash myself feed myself and go to the toilet myself. a consultant saw me for a few minutes ever few days.
    the chemo drugs ( I was on three different ones 12 hours a day ) cost in the thousands each.
    I would think the costs were highly weighted in drugs and professional fees.

I also remember my first and last car crash into anoither car about ten years ago. My fault. they ahd erected one of these new pained roundabouts where a minor road joins a major one. i saw someone coming but forgot about the painteds circle and drove into the junction thoinking the other person was slowing. AS they drove in I had to slam on and dented their wheel arch and front wing. They were in a hurry to the airport and drove off after getting my name. I could have insisted they stay. They later sued for 30k ( this was ten years ago). No physical damage to any of the three in the car and certainly not shocked enough not to drive their car off to the airport ( it was well capable of driving and was not that badly damaged - I assumed about 500 punts max at the time)

The insurance company settled for 15k even though I wanted to go to court. The costs would have only been as much again.
    As in all claims the claimant is medically examined and the injuries verified.

How do you verify "whiplash" or "shock"
    How many people on here have sought compensation as a result of an accident at work, in a car or in a public place?

Which prompts my broader concern

1- Professional fees driving up costs
    2- Fake claims driving up costs

These are the important issues for the taxpayer and NOT which FF politician had a relative insinuated while we ignore any Labour politicians in similar circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yes, because we are paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ISAW wrote: »
    I really must laugh at this.
    I began a thread saying that Ivor Callelly's wife and family(whether his is guilty or not of fraud etc.) are brought up and linked to him as part of a "business empire" and Eamon Gilmore's wife is considered not part of EG's business.
    I specifically state thisis double standards
    The thread is locked and I charged with soap boxing

Now people are bringing up Hannafin's ( whether you like her or not or she is guilty of anything ) mother and trying to like this to Hannafin making a statement about people claiming for injuries sustained in schools!

How can Hannafin's family and Ivor's family be considered fair game but Gilmore's wife be considered off limits?

You've been around long enough to know how you're supposed to deal with issues you have with moderation.

Do not bring those issues into other threads like this again.

bonkey wrote: »
    You've been around long enough to know how you're supposed to deal with issues you have with moderation.

Do not bring those issues into other threads like this again.

For the record:
    I did NOT bring up the issue of the mother of Mary Hanafin making a claim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

the point being made here is while mary hannifin was asking people not to persue claims so as tho save the state momey, her mother was involved in a legal case against the same state, also her mother was acomping her around the world at the said states expense.

Yes, because we are paying for it.

We are no more entitled to find out about her injuries than anyone else injured on state property.

Just because she is the mother of a FF TD doesn't make her fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,793 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Perhaps I am missing something here..........
    Why did the state have to pay this sum out in the first place?
    Surely government buildings are covered by public liability insurance?
    And even still, wasnt there a board set up at some stage to negotiate these type of claims to ensure legal costs were kept to a minimum(perhaps this is a recent thing and perhaps it is only for motor claims) http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/

If the mother of Mary Hanafin, or indeed anyone gets injured due to someone elses negligence then she has a right to "claim" for it.

I would be more worried about the figure of 5 odd million for incidental expenses (in 2009 mind when things were getting tight, what were these expenses in the years previous to this)
    5 odd million is not an insignificant amount of money.......

• Advertisement

the point being made here is while mary hannifin was asking people not to persue claims

Please provide evidence that this happened at the same time
    Already you have been shown this is not true!

Are you saying that if a spokesperson for political party is announcing something as wrong
    (such as making money from the state) then it is wrong for members of that spokespersons family ( or another senior party members family) to make money from the same source which they are criticising?
    so as tho save the state momey, her mother was involved in a legal case against the same state,

So while you criticise making money on inflated land it is not wrong for your mother to make money from the state on land?
    also her mother was accomping her around the world at the said states expense.
    [/quote]

Separate issue and if true a straw man.

the point being made here is while mary hannifin was asking people not to persue claims so as tho save the state momey, her mother was involved in a legal case against the same state,

See post 11

Not even close to the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

See post 11

Not even close to the same time

lol is the time frame really all that important?

If she believes that people shouldn't claim, has her opinion changed?

I think the whole thing is stupid but you can't use an OMG loike that was a year ago as an excuse for someone being hypocritical.

I don't think she is being hypocritical for the record as it is her mother who made the claim.

I don't think she is being hypocritical for the record as it is her mother who made the claim.

That is a meta argument*. In other words, is she being hypocritical by not criticising people who themselves are being hypocritical by not practicing what someone else they apparently support says?
    Again I could give another example but I am restricted in what I can post here. See other thread.

*A meta argument being an argument about the nature of argument

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?pli=1&hl=en_GB&key=tM2oytF2Fs5EcQSpR2ad1MQ&hl=en_GB#gid=0

State Claims Agency 340000000021041 - Personnl def Legal Settle Agency Counsel Fees for M.Hanafin V € 1634.18
    State Claims Agency 340000000021041 - Personnl def Legal Settle M.Hanafin V Oireachtas - Settlement Cost € 30000
    State Claims Agency 340000000021041 - Personnl def Legal Settle M.Hanafin v Oireachtas - Agency Counsel € 3280.5
    State Claims Agency 340000000021041 - Personnl def Legal Settle M.Hanafin v Oireachtas - Agency € 6767.5
    State Claims Agency 340000000021041 - Personnl def Legal Settle M.Hanafin V Oireachtas - Claimant Legal € 20895.1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

What the relative of some politician does has no bearing on the politician unless the relative is acting on instructions of the politicians.

As we have no evidence that this is the case, I don't see a reason for this thread. The mother of Mary Hanaffin is entitled to pursue legal compensation in the same manner as any other citizen.

In addition, the claims regarding her statement about not pursuing legal claims in schools is only relevant if she did not make the same plea to her mother.

We have no information or fact either way on that issue so all discussion is conjecture and speculation.

In short, there isn't really anything to talk about here in a factual political setting.

Closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ISAW wrote: »
    For the record:
    I did NOT bring up the issue of the mother of Mary Hanafin making a claim!

For the record:
    Arguing with a mod after they've given you an instruction as a moderator will get you banned on this forum. Consider this a final warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement