Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-12-2010, 12:59   #1
WildOscar

no water upstairs ok downstairs

I have cold water downstairs but no cold or hot downstairs or upstairs. upstairs taps if turned on a little will come out and stop then . i have heater in the attic to see if it will help. could it be an airlock? how could pipes freeze when a tap was left on? Is it ok to have the boiler on. rads are heating upstairs and down
Advertisement
25-12-2010, 14:05   #2
Victor

What taps are working? Cold tap in kitchen or are there other taps, e.g. downstairs toilet?

Is there water in the tank upstairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOscar View Post
how could pipes freeze when a tap was left on?
Because hte council has reduced the water pressure becuasse people have left their taps on.
25-12-2010, 14:14   #3
WildOscar

thanks for reply[QUOTE=Victor;69729747]What taps are working? Cold tap in kitchen or are there other taps, e.g. downstairs toilet?[quote]
cold tap in kitchen low pressure
downstairs toilet refills very slow, ditto upstairs toilet

Quote:
Is there water in the tank upstairs?
yes as far as i know but it is coming down very slowly to the hot press tank. i had a heater in attic and it seems to be improving in that i get water to flow upstairs then it stops then flows again. seems to be frozen between attic tank and hot press tank. can hear it trickle into hot press. is it ok to aim a heater at the pipes in hot press
25-12-2010, 14:20   #4
chipper
Banned

cold water downstairs comes from mains, hot water downstairs and hot & cold upstairs comes from your storage tank in attic, so the attic is frozen or ball cock is jamed shut
26-12-2010, 15:04   #5
Hennybug

I have the opposite problem to the OP, hot and cold water upstairs and only hot downstairs. Does that mean it's a mains problem and i don't have anything frozen to worry about?
Advertisement
26-12-2010, 15:34   #6
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennybug View Post
I have the opposite problem to the OP, hot and cold water upstairs and only hot downstairs. Does that mean it's a mains problem and i don't have anything frozen to worry about?
Check your attic tank to see how full it is.
26-12-2010, 16:15   #7
WildOscar

water key

i want to get a water key in case i ever need to turn off the stop cock out on the path. how would i kn ow which size or are they uniform
26-12-2010, 18:36   #8
ebbsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOscar View Post
I have cold water downstairs but no cold or hot downstairs or upstairs. upstairs taps if turned on a little will come out and stop then . i have heater in the attic to see if it will help. could it be an airlock? how could pipes freeze when a tap was left on? Is it ok to have the boiler on. rads are heating upstairs and down
Have the exact same situation. Apart from leaving a heater in the attic, if I filled up the empty attic tank with hot water would that help ?

Thanks.
26-12-2010, 19:42   #9
ebbsy

With regard to my above post I had a heating going up to the attic all day, and after 3 days of no water it has just come back on.

Fingers crossed......
Advertisement
26-12-2010, 20:03   #10
hidinginthebush

We (and a number of houses locally) have had this problem the last few days. The problem (diagnosed by plumbers) is that there is not enough water pressure to fill the tank in the attic. Imagine my bloody frustration today after borrowing spanners from my plumber friend to get any airlocks out of the system for the damn pressure to fall again. As it stands, I currently have no mains water at all, and it won't be back until 10 tomorrow (Thank you fingal county council)

So OP, could it be an issue like mine, where there simply is not enough pressure to fill the tank in the attic? Easiest way to check would be to see if the tank is filling up there. There's nothing you can do but wait until the pressure picks up again.

And I'm still waiting to get a shower in after my swim down the beach yesterday morning, think my bones might turn to ice by then
26-12-2010, 20:25   #11
WildOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidinginthebush View Post
We (and a number of houses locally) have had this problem the last few days. The problem (diagnosed by plumbers) is that there is not enough water pressure to fill the tank in the attic. Imagine my bloody frustration today after borrowing spanners from my plumber friend to get any airlocks out of the system for the damn pressure to fall again. As it stands, I currently have no mains water at all, and it won't be back until 10 tomorrow (Thank you fingal county council)

So OP, could it be an issue like mine, where there simply is not enough pressure to fill the tank in the attic? Easiest way to check would be to see if the tank is filling up there. There's nothing you can do but wait until the pressure picks up again.

And I'm still waiting to get a shower in after my swim down the beach yesterday morning, think my bones might turn to ice by then
checked with local authority and pressure has been reduced till tomorrow morning
27-12-2010, 18:03   #12
BAwagon

In My house, mains freeze 4 days ago , I only realised when the tank was empty in the attic. Water came back Yesterday evening. Tank is full but hot water is not working. Don't know for sure but I think hot water tank is not filling Up. What could be the reason?
Make it even worst 1 day after water went the heating went as well because the water level was too low in the heating system. Although pressure is back the boiler wouldn't start. I am affraid the pump is gone outside
27-12-2010, 18:31   #13
WildOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidinginthebush View Post

So OP, could it be an issue like mine, where there simply is not enough pressure to fill the tank in the attic?
Easiest way to check would be to see if the tank is filling up there. There's nothing you can do but wait until the pressure picks up again.

yes i found it is. at least it is better than frozen or burst pipes. For anyone with burst pipes i saw something today called EASI FREEZE that apparentl allows a repair without draining water.not affiliated never heard of it before. Passing on this in case anyone might be helped

Last edited by WildOscar; 27-12-2010 at 18:35.
27-12-2010, 18:34   #14
WildOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAwagon View Post
In My house, mains freeze 4 days ago , I only realised when the tank was empty in the attic. Water came back Yesterday evening. Tank is full but hot water is not working. Don't know for sure but I think hot water tank is not filling Up. What could be the reason?
e
at a guess maybe there is frozen pipes leading from attic tank to hot water cylinder? A fan heater or even hairdryer in the attic might help. Good luck
27-12-2010, 19:39   #15
Buford T Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAwagon View Post
Make it even worst 1 day after water went the heating went as well because the water level was too low in the heating system. Although pressure is back the boiler wouldn't start. I am affraid the pump is gone outside
If you're tank has run dry and is now full again, then I'd say you have an airlock in the system, have a search of this forum and there are steps to removing them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion