Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering dept. neglect.!!!!!

Options
  • 28-10-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Is anyone else noticing the complete ****e time of it Engineering has been getting..Still in an undeveloped area of the college, been the same for the last twenty years, a definate lack of resources, ie. Computers, equipment etc. I know from experience the electronics deptartment has a shortage of testing equipment and computers in some of the labs, leaving some students left twiddling there thumbs and falling behind in their work as the rest of the group moves on...the lack of wireless availaabilty this semester is also a joke. for weeks now we have been hearing its coming next week and yet not here yet. AND been told by certain people that its makin it way across the college with the engineering side being the last activated. Why is so much attention being given to the rest of the departments and left out for us. Computing arts media etc have there state of the art carrolls building filled wit any number of computers etc. the business from what i hear has all they need but not Engineering...This needs to change..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Bullzi wrote: »
    Is anyone else noticing the complete ****e time of it Engineering has been getting..Still in an undeveloped area of the college, been the same for the last twenty years, a definate lack of resources, ie. Computers, equipment etc. I know from experience the electronics deptartment has a shortage of testing equipment and computers in some of the labs, leaving some students left twiddling there thumbs and falling behind in their work as the rest of the group moves on...the lack of wireless availaabilty this semester is also a joke. for weeks now we have been hearing its coming next week and yet not here yet. AND been told by certain people that its makin it way across the college with the engineering side being the last activated. Why is so much attention being given to the rest of the departments and left out for us. Computing arts media etc have there state of the art carrolls building filled wit any number of computers etc. the business from what i hear has all they need but not Engineering...This needs to change..

I agree and i don't even do engineering - it's by far and away the most neglected area in terms of investment / appearance / equipment... you can tell just by walking around it. Carrolls building / Nursing building / library and reception may as well be on another planet.

Can't see it changing anytime soon though, so i feel sorry for engineering students...

Not much you can do about it (or the college either), the money just isn't there. You can however make it very clear things aren't up to standard, in public. This is a good start. Warn future students if you're not happy because they'll just end up feeling the same way you do.

About the wireless, they've been very careful not to commit to any dates, if you look back at all the official announcements you'll see that. Still, this new wireless network has been in 'testing' since November 2009.

It's just not acceptable (i feel anyway) to have no wireless on a college campus for 2 months and counting of a semester, but it's a good example of the lack of urgency & communication around the place. As i keep saying i don't think any of us would mind too much if we were kept informed of exactly what's happening (or not happening).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

Just on the Wireless,
    I am a class Rep in the businness Area, and the Storey on the wireless is

There is only 2 Full time It staff In the Collage, Because of the Employment Embargo and Some Staff are off Sick, So With all the upgrades to the network, phone systems and the carroll Building over the summer they are Realy overworked,

The Information That i have is that They do not want to turn on the system untill They are Sure it wont crash, As they do not have the resorses to Keep on top of it.

The system Should Be up Before or around Xmass,

On your Concerns I think you should Talk to your class Rep, Student Union ,
    As they may be able to put your views to the Collage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

EWJim wrote: »
    Because of the Employment Embargo and Some Staff are off Sick, So With all the upgrades to the network, phone systems and the carroll Building over the summer they are Realy overworked,

The Information That i have is that They do not want to turn on the system untill They are Sure it wont crash, As they do not have the resorses to Keep on top of it.

I know the IT staff are overworked but that's an excuse for everything - no money, not enough staff, overworked etc... that may well be the case but look at it another way - you've got a school full of IT enthusiasts who many (i'm guessing) would work for experience / CV / as part of college projects...

They just need to be led & managed properly and given some kind of reward, doesn't always have to be financial. The problem i have with wireless being down for a few months is that the college see it as a short term thing, "we'll get it up eventually, just a few more weeks, coming soon etc"...

To students, a whole semester is a hell of a long time, it's not 'short term', it's long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

The Engineering building is almost funny. My worst gripe about it would have to be the pc's they are rubbish you'd want a spare 10mins to get them started up... and its generally freezing in some of the class rooms.

I've been up to some of the business computer rooms and to be honest those pcs dont look much better.

We were having a lecture in one of the drawing rooms the other week, and there was a funny noise from the ceiling and then a small shower of dust, the lecturer made us move and sit somewhere else.. I think he was afraid the roof would come in on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭azwethinkweiz

I'm not actually in the college anymore, graduated 2 years ago. I did Computing and while I was there our PCs were rubbish, the whole dept was rubbish - especially during 4th year, there wasn't enough PCs for all the 4th years to do our project work etc. Its only after i left that they finally got the Carrols building set up properly & the whole thing sorted.
    If you are really that unhappy about it then complain, complain, complain to your head of dept - tell them its just unacceptable. Something will probably be done about the situation but I'm sorry to say it takes so long for them to sort anything that you'll surely be finished college by that time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

EWJim wrote: »
    Just on the Wireless,
    I am a class Rep in the businness Area, and the Storey on the wireless is

There is only 2 Full time It staff In the Collage, Because of the Employment Embargo and Some Staff are off Sick, So With all the upgrades to the network, phone systems and the carroll Building over the summer they are Realy overworked,

The system Should Be up Before or around Xmass,

On your Concerns I think you should Talk to your class Rep, Student Union ,
    As they may be able to put your views to the Collage.

why isnt this general knowledge. Theres nothing worse than just not knowing.
    Its like when the train stops in the middle of nowhere for half and hour and the driver doesnt let the passengers know whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'm not actually in the college anymore, graduated 2 years ago. I did Computing and while I was there our PCs were rubbish, the whole dept was rubbish - especially during 4th year, there wasn't enough PCs for all the 4th years to do our project work etc. Its only after i left that they finally got the Carrols building set up properly & the whole thing sorted.
    If you are really that unhappy about it then complain, complain, complain to your head of dept - tell them its just unacceptable. Something will probably be done about the situation but I'm sorry to say it takes so long for them to sort anything that you'll surely be finished college by that time!

They have the nice shiny Carroll's building now alright, can't get into many of the rooms though, as they only allow people into some of them during class time...

I have a load of projects due you say? Can I get into the room to do them?
    Ehhh....no.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

btw the two rooms formerly occupied by the international offices in the library will be turned over for group study early next week( hopefully)

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    They have the nice shiny Carroll's building now alright, can't get into many of the rooms though, as they only allow people into some of them during class time...

I have a load of projects due you say? Can I get into the room to do them?
    Ehhh....no.....

Are you serious?? Are you in 4th year? If you are I would think you're entitled to have a lab room free to do project work... how else are you supposed to do it?! Thats ridiculous...

Any update on this Bullzi? Have you had a chat with anyone about your thoughts on the engineering dept? That place seems to be falling to pieces since I left :P I even heard tell that there's no coffee dock anymore? what what whaaat!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Are you serious?? Are you in 4th year? If you are I would think you're entitled to have a lab room free to do project work... how else are you supposed to do it?! Thats ridiculous...

Was the same for me when i was in 4th year in 2008/2009 we had the 4th year lab that was supposed to be always available to 4th years for projects but it constantly had classes in it from 1st years to 4th years.......disgraceful stuff.

• Advertisement

I was there in 2007/2008 in 4th year IT management... To be honest we were cheesed off then as well because like you say there was classes in our 4th year lab... We complained so much that we thought out would've been sorted by the next year but obviously not. Thought it'd at least be sorted when the carrolls building opened up! Frig sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Well I am in 4th year at the minute, we have our own room for our projects with top class pcs but the printers are not up to scratch... Today I spent 30 yo yos printing off colour a3 projects cause there was such a queue for the two printers in the room. The technican to his credit always bring down ink and a3 paper but its getting frustrating coming up to deadlines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

About 10/12 of us bought A3 printers off some company recently. (Ill get the name off them from one of the lads if anyone wants it.)
    They are "Brother" by brand, A3 sized, wireless/fax/scanner/copier/colour printer.
    Got them for 200 Euros each.(down from 350) Now they were on offer at the time, but I'm sure a phone call with the promise of 10+ customers and a deal could be done with a bit of chin wagging.

I would definately recommend getting one if you can afford it, so much handier if you are doing a drawing and need to print off, if only just to double check any mistakes. plus the amount of notes you need to print off is unreal. You would literally spend 30 quid printing in the college.

I think the CAD lab computers/plotters are a complete joke.
    I was in Sligo in 2002 and they had the exact same plotters as DKIT do now. And even back then we were complaining how outdated they were.
    I had a CAD test today, and half of us brought in our own laptops and stuck the drawing on a memory stick rather than attempt to go drawing using those dinosaurs of things they call computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I did an engineering degree in Dkit as well as Edinburgh University.

Whenever people ask me about Dkit, I tell them not to bother. The entire department is an absolute shambles. Course, content, labs and lecturers (bar a few really passionate ones).

I was recommended to go to Dkit based on a senior engineers advice. "Good hands on experience. Will be invaluable". Load of crap.

Oh, and btw, if any of you civil students are planning to go to Edinburgh from Dkit, get ready for a shocker. The entire 3 year course there is covered in about 2 months. Get used to the library. The dkit course will leave you having to do a lot of catchup.

Just a heads up if anyone stumbles across this.

Advertisement