Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended Church of Ireland in Dublin

• 12-11-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi I am originally roman catholic but would love to attend a Church of Ireland Service. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a Church in the Dublin area.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

North, South, East, or West Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Phibsboro7 wrote: »
    Hi I am originally roman catholic but would love to attend a Church of Ireland Service. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a Church in the Dublin area.

Thanks

Try Core. http://www.corechurch.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Core if you want to experience low church with an evangelical twist. St. Patrick's if you want some high church evensong action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anglican High Church; St John's Sandymount is very 'High Church' which means that its almost identicle to the Roman Catholic Church, but without the Pope as head of . . .

So many other Anglican C of I Churches in & around Dublin, where to start? Evangelical, traditional Low Church + everything else in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Phibsboro7

LordSutch wrote: »
    Anglican High Church; St John's Sandymount is very 'High Church' which means that its almost identicle to the Roman Catholic Church, but without the Pope as head of . . .

So many other Anglican C of I Churches in & around Dublin, where to start? Evangelical, traditional Low Church + everything else in between!

Yes the choice is confusing alright - I suppose somewhere that people have enjoyed attending personally as a good start.

I always choose books and such from the user recommendations on sites like amazon. So I guess its a place to start for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You might also find Trinity Church interesting if you are willing to dip your toe into evangelical waters.

Core if you want to experience low church with an evangelical twist. St. Patrick's if you want some high church evensong action.

Thanks for the recommendations antiskeptic and Fanny Creadock. Will look into them. A friend of mine lives accross the road from St PAts and as I am calling out to her tonight i will have a look in. I also like the look of the core website so will check them out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

You might also find Trinity Church interesting if you are willing to dip your toe into evangelical waters.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Wow.. €5.50 to get into a church. I was visiting Kilkenny last year and when I popped in to have a look at St Canices Cathedral they wanted to charge me there too, so I turned around and left. Wasn't there something in the Bible about Jesus losing his temper when he found money changers inside the temple, and kicking over their tables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I dont think they charge for attending services! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No, but is it right in principle to charge admission into a church?

recedite wrote: »

My personal opinion would be its not right to charge for services/prayers etc but okay to charge if its being used as a Tourist attraction as I know from doing similar accounts - these places are very costly to maintain.

Don't know how you separate the two and will admit I was equally shocked when I was asked to pay admission into churches in Prague recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Yes. If people want to go in to rubberneck/act as tourists then an admission charge seems perfectly reasonable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

It is incredibly expensive to maintain a church built several hundred years ago with a relatively small congregation of ordinary means and without support from the State. In that context it seems reasonable that tourists who are visiting for interest in the history/architecture/art of the building should be expected to contribute towards the upkeep of the building. Charge is obviously not levied for people who are there to attend services of worship and equallyin most cathedrals there is a side or lady chapel where people are encouraged to go and pray if they are not entering as a tourist - just ask one of the ushers at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Phibsboro7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations antiskeptic and Fanny Creadock. Will look into them. A friend of mine lives accross the road from St PAts and as I am calling out to her tonight i will have a look in. I also like the look of the core website so will check them out too.
    You can chance your arm there. ;)
    Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

Advertisement