Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Control Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I don't know where you are based, but are there any model airplane/boat shops in your area? They might know of an enthusiast for whom it would probably be an easy project to fit a remote system.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mtierney5

Im in Limerick, we have a model shop but its for model boats, planes etc. All non electric! There just cardboard ones etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I'm guessing that you don't have the ability to do it yourself.

Maybe you could try asking in the Limerick University or Technology institute forums?

Me and electrics dont mix well!

I'll try U/L so and see how I get on, im sure someone out there can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You could try the REC, Lifehacking forum.

Someone there might be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If both units are 12v you could get someone to transplant the remote control circuit from the old car to the new one.

The throttle would be easy to control electrically, the steering might not be so easy to do.

If you need anymore help let us know...

I thought of that alright, but the old one is 6v and the new one is 12v. Can you buy a remote control kit etc somewhere?

mtierney5 wrote: »
    I thought of that alright, but the old one is 6v and the new one is 12v. Can you buy a remote control kit etc somewhere?

The difficult bit is that you won't be able to buy exactly what you want off the shelf, it will involve buy some electronics and adapting it with some off the shelf components. I would see the steering linkage as the most difficult part.

If the old car still works, I would get a "john-deere" ride on tractor, doesn't have to be an electric one and transplant everything (electrical/mechanical) from the little car. There'll be a bit of mechanical work but that should be handy enough.

http://www.toys.ie/John-Deere-Xtrac-with-Rolly-Loader-!A03778-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=e8f8c99f-efbe-4feb-9889-a04c2310b23a

http://www.toys.ie/John-Deere-Tractor-Trailer-and-Loader-!G04167-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=5fc0f156-c30d-4b5d-a3fe-e100d294eefe

The old one works, but, he is 4yrs now and is getting heavy, the little 6v is not stronge enough anymore. It was really struggling over the summer to pull him. And he'll only get bigger!

Starting to think im banging my head off a wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

what exactly do you need the remote control to do? this is a 12v john deere with parental control,only prob is its from america!

http://shop.bjs.com/Peg-Perego-John-Deere-Ground-Force-Tractor-with-Stake-Side-Trailer-Ride-On-Vehicles_stcVVproductId103786425VVcatId540576VVviewprod.htm

• Advertisement

I need to be able to steer and go forwards and backwards. My boy would only be able to sit on it, not use any of the controls. Iv seen the tractor you posted the link too, but all you can do with that one is prevent the child from going into the fast gear. There is a lock on the gear basically. No remote control....

i went to have a look at some electronics forums for you,the first one i looked at i see you had already posted in it ha!i think you really need to find a model/hobby shop as said above,other then that i cant really think of any other way around this!hope you get it sorted!

ha ha, thanks guys, iv mailed a model shop in dublin so hopefully....

i really dont want to fail on this...

well im sure everyone is still racking there brains,no one here likes to fail either ha!

I appreciate that too, and thanks again to everyone who replied! All suggestions welcome! It just means a lot to try and get it sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I appreciate that too, and thanks again to everyone who replied! All suggestions welcome! It just means a lot to try and get it sorted!

Do you have any ride on tractor at the moment or you will be getting a new one, i do a bit with the radio control aircraft and there are very powerful servos available which could possibly operate the controls on that.

I have not had a good close look at them before so maybe others could tell me how the stop and go is operated to drive the motor,, a foot pedal? foot switch?

Update:
    I see you are looking at the john deere one, i think that could be rigged up to be operated by radio control alright,
    here is a link to the type of servo that could operate the steering anyway, to let others on here see what they think.
    An enormous servo compared to the type i would normally use.
    http://www.tonegawaseiko.co.jp/e_index.html,

Hi Robbie,

I'll be getting a new one, probable the one in my first post above. Im lost about the servos etc.... I know nothing about electrics really. Im delighted you think it can be done at least, would you be willing to try???? Do you need more info etc.....

UPDATE: Ya the forward/reverse is operated by a foot pedal....

Hi Robbie,

I'll be getting a new one, probable the one in my first post above. Im lost about the servos etc.... I know nothing about electrics really. Im delighted you think it can be done at least, would you be willing to try???? Do you need more info etc.....

UPDATE: Ya the forward/reverse is operated by a foot pedal....

I think it could be done alright, i will have to see how much them servo`s are. I would not think they would be cheap.

Here is a video of one of the servos operating, the fella is using a computer but the normal operation would be using a radio controller. An arm is fitted onto the servo shaft to operate whatever is being controlled.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfVX4VP_wl0

Just seen the price of them, they are $560,, mad money altogether, id say there must be a cheaper solution, Post a thread on the models forum and see is there any good ideas there, here is the link to the models forum..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=486

As you have the working 6v remote system I would see what can be cannibalised from it. It might be possible to run the lot from 12v and use the traction & steering motors as I suggested above.

The problem with using servo motors from models will be getting enough power for the steering. The steering motor will need to be quite strong...

Ok, that would be great, sure whatever you can find out would be great and we'll work from there,

Thanks a million!

• Advertisement

It would be possible to couple a model servo onto the trottle pot, but youd want to make sure it will fail safe, in the event that the remote control looses power ect

As you have the working 6v remote system I would see what can be cannibalised from it. It might be possible to run the lot from 12v and use the traction & steering motors as I suggested above.

The problem with using servo motors from models will be getting enough power for the steering. The steering motor will need to be quite strong...

Id say them servo`s would easilly turn it, the standard servo`s i would use in model aircraft just have the + and - and signal, them big servos i linked have this but also have a set of leads to power the actual servo motor from a lead acid(etc) 12v battery.

But they are a bit on the prohibitive side price wise as i have just found out now.

It would be possible to couple a model servo onto the trottle pot, but youd want to make sure it will fail safe, in the event that the remote control looses power ect

That can be done with a radio with fail safe, when radio signal is lost the servo returns to a user pre programmed position, for receiver power loss a relay could be used powered from one of the receiver servo ports and the relay just disables the main drive.

Pity the big servo is so expensive because i think it would be quite easy to do with that.

Its really the steering is the tricky bit is`t it, the throttle should be easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

robbie7730
    just seen your video from your sig link and remembered this thread
    well done you;)

meercat wrote: »
    robbie7730
    just seen your video from your sig link and remembered this thread
    well done you;)

Thanks meercat, the signiture link is probably to youtube,
    I added in a throttle speed controller after that video, shown here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056061419&page=3
    post #41 shows it with the speed controller added.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

sorry didnt realise there was a thread on it
    saw original post here a while back
    seen your sig link to youtube and then saw tractor vid
    remembered the op then
    great job and im sure there is one happy child;)

meercat wrote: »
    sorry didnt realise there was a thread on it
    saw original post here a while back
    seen your sig link to youtube and then saw tractor vid
    remembered the op then
    great job and im sure there is one happy child;)

yes i kept an updated thread so the op could keep up with the progress,

Advertisement