Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On BBC TV News Tonight

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Item on BBC News tonight (23rd August)

NASA sent rock into space with life forms on it. Left it exposed to the vacuum of space, complete with cosmic radiation and recovered it 18 months later. The life on the rock was alive.

I missed what the life was, some form of bacteria that produced oxygen I think they said.

Rocks were collected from some place in southern England I think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Rubecula wrote: »
    Item on BBC News tonight (23rd August)

NASA sent rock into space with life forms on it. Left it exposed to the vacuum of space, complete with cosmic radiation and recovered it 18 months later. The life on the rock was alive.

I missed what the life was, some form of bacteria that produced oxygen I think they said.

Rocks were collected from some place in southern England I think.

Just to prove You were not dreaming this Rubecula here is the report in question[seasoned sceptics in the A&S forum have a healthy disrespect for anything unproven:)]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11044289

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Astronauts on Apollo 12 in Nov 1969 collected a camera from a Surveyor spacecraft that had landed on the Moon 2 yeras earlier. When it was returned and opened on earth they found bacteria alive that had been inside the camera since before launch. They thing one of the engineers sneezed:)
    It just goes to show that life is very tough.

Beeker wrote: »
    It just goes to show that life is very tough.

It sure is for Mrs Beeker by the sound of You!
    Are You not the color of Beetroot Yet?:pac:
    Beaky please return ASAP as Moi is only trying to keep Your seat warm:)

Beeker wrote: »
    Astronauts on Apollo 12 in Nov 1969 collected a camera from a Surveyor spacecraft that had landed on the Moon 2 yeras earlier.

Any excuse to print one of My most favourite pictures of the Apollo Programme.What a great shot IMO,such a pinpoint landing on only the second Manned landing on the moon.
    The truth is though Surveyor was used more as a guide for a safe landing site for 12 after Apollo 11 came so close to landing on rocks,boulders or craters that NASA just did not have enough detailed images of 'The Sea of Tranquility' to avoid without a manual overide by Armstrong when the Lunar Modules computer was bringing 11 to its doom.

200px-Apollo12ConradSurveyor.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    It sure is for Mrs Beeker by the sound of You!
    Are You not the color of Beetroot Yet?:pac:
    Beaky please return ASAP as Moi is only trying to keep Your seat warm:)
    Back Sat morning:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement