Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a makeup brush cleaner

Options
  • 11-08-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

i know MAC have one but what are the cheaper alternatives Or what brand do people find best?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I use simple soap and water!!!! Have done for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Im interested in this too. I've had to stop using my foundation brush as its totally clogged with foundation. Was recommended that I clean it with baby shampoo but foundation just doesnt come out.....tempted to chuck it in the bin at this stage but its MAC and was expensive so I dont wanna.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Liquid soap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Fairy liquid!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I've used MAC,Clinique, Isadora and Sephora cleansers for daily cleaning, the MAC is by far the best (I'm not anal, I just hate when blush/shadow colours get muddy from yesterday's colours hanging on the brushes, so I spray clean them)

For deeper cleans, shampoo is good, but for my foundation brushes i use a tiny bit of Shu Uemura oil cleanser, it's so hard to break down the foundation otherwise. I find with the 187 that if I'm not careful about cleaning, 'clumps' of foundation form in the depths. gross, gross, gross.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

In an emergency - between clients, surgical spirits.

Each evening, fairy washing up liquid and Johnstons baby shampoo. Careful with diff shampoos as they can cause the hairs to singe.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Thanks for all the replies.

I have used the soap & water, just dont think its the best.

Keep all the recommendations coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Johnston's Baby Shampoo is what I find the best..not a fan of Fairy Liquid cos I find it's a bit too harsh + causes the bristles to shed. Otherwise I use any moisturising shampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Warm water & Johnson's Baby Shampoo, have had my brush for almost two years and I don't think its shed one hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I use handwash or shampoo.

• Advertisement

lainey316 wrote: »
    I've used MAC,Clinique, Isadora and Sephora cleansers for daily cleaning, the MAC is by far the best (I'm not anal, I just hate when blush/shadow colours get muddy from yesterday's colours hanging on the brushes, so I spray clean them)

For deeper cleans, shampoo is good, but for my foundation brushes i use a tiny bit of Shu Uemura oil cleanser, it's so hard to break down the foundation otherwise. I find with the 187 that if I'm not careful about cleaning, 'clumps' of foundation form in the depths. gross, gross, gross.

My foundation brush has gone all clumpy......anything I can do with it or should I just chuck it out???

My foundation brush has gone all clumpy......anything I can do with it or should I just chuck it out???

if it's clumps of foundation, i just kind of pulled them out and used an oil cleanser to break down the remains and then washed and rewashed... try fairy liquid maybe? what style of brush is it?

if it's clumps of foundation, i just kind of pulled them out and used an oil cleanser to break down the remains and then washed and rewashed... try fairy liquid maybe? what style of brush is it?

Mac 190 brush

http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT146&PRODUCT_ID=285

cacked in foundation at this stage so I stopped using it awhile ago because I was cleaning it and it wasnt helping so its kinda dried in....

Mac 190 brush

http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT146&PRODUCT_ID=285

cacked in foundation at this stage so I stopped using it awhile ago because I was cleaning it and it wasnt helping so its kinda dried in....

I'm very surprised cleaning wasn't helping it - though when I was using the Revlon colorstay it was harder to clean. If you are thinking of binning it, no harm in trying a tiny bit of baby oil - put a pool of oil in your hand, smoosh (technical term, I swear) the brush in it, then smoosh it into a pool of water in your hand to emulsify it. you'll need to clean out the oil after with shampoo or whatever, but the oil could break down the foundation. worked for me anyway on my 190

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MaireadK4

I find Milton is great or baby shampoo

I'm very surprised cleaning wasn't helping it - though when I was using the Revlon colorstay it was harder to clean. If you are thinking of binning it, no harm in trying a tiny bit of baby oil - put a pool of oil in your hand, smoosh (technical term, I swear) the brush in it, then smoosh it into a pool of water in your hand to emulsify it. you'll need to clean out the oil after with shampoo or whatever, but the oil could break down the foundation. worked for me anyway on my 190

Funny you say that cos Revlon Colourstay was exactly what I was using with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

+1 on the shampoo, I use the Pantene clarifying stuff. Like the previous poster I put some in my hand, smoosh the brush in (I like that technical term!) and rinse. Sometimes it takes a few goes, especially if I've been using a long lasting foundation, but it always comes spotless in the end. They I just let it dry naturally and it's ready to use the next day.

Funny you say that cos Revlon Colourstay was exactly what I was using with it!!

It's like glue. But persevere, I got my brushes free of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MakeUp Fanatic21

I've just qualified as a make-up artist and our college were so fussy about brushes being super-clean-they told us to use baby shampoo and water- out a bit of the shampoo in the palm of your hand and swirl the brush til it's clean. If you have foundation or something you can't get out use a drop of baby oil but don't use too much or it leave the brush really oily

Advertisement