Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-07-2010, 13:46   #1
wait4me

Rubber seal on Oven - how do I stick it?

We have a NEFF double oven and the rubber seal on the lower (and largest) fan oven is coming away. Anybody know what adhesive I should use to re-stick it to the oven. The rubber seal is on the oven rather than the door. Thanks in advance

Last edited by wait4me; 15-07-2010 at 13:46. Reason: typo
Advertisement
15-07-2010, 15:49   #2
mp22

You can get high temp silicone,try you local hardware shop,will probably cost over €20 euro a tube.
Thanks from:
15-07-2010, 15:51   #3
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses

If it were me i would try a high temp silicone as it will need to be flex. Be careful as some high temp sealents are not actually silicone but a caulk as such. You will pay about 20 euro for this,

I dont know if it will work as i never had the problem but it wont do any damage
Thanks from:
15-07-2010, 22:49   #4
PeteHeat

Hi,

I would never use silicone for such a purpose because an adhesive was used by the manufacturer, silicone is not a bonding agent it is used to form a gasket which may not allow the door to close properly.

I would ask a service company or supplier for the correct adhesive, shouldn't be hard to find I probably would start by asking Neff.

Thanks from:
16-07-2010, 00:23   #5
davidoco

I may be wrong about this (NOT) but most of the higher end ovens (Neff would be included in this) would have metal hooks in each corner that holds the sealer in place. Are you sure it was originally stuck on. Try another corner and see does it lift out.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2010, 13:05   #6
wait4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoco View Post
I may be wrong about this (NOT) but most of the higher end ovens (Neff would be included in this) would have metal hooks in each corner that holds the sealer in place. Are you sure it was originally stuck on. Try another corner and see does it lift out.
Will look at this later. However the corners are still 'stuck' (however that may be!) - it's the rest of the seal (horizontal sides that is) that is sagging. And I am not sure that it was originally stuck on but it didn't originally sag - but maybe that is a factor of ageing like the rest of us
17-07-2010, 11:51   #7
wait4me

Thanks davidoco - sure enough the corners are clipped in. I have ordered a replacement seal as it looks like this one is shot. Thanks everyone for the steer in the right direction.
17-07-2010, 12:38   #8
slimjimmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
Will look at this later. However the corners are still 'stuck' (however that may be!) - it's the rest of the seal (horizontal sides that is) that is sagging. And I am not sure that it was originally stuck on but it didn't originally sag - but maybe that is a factor of ageing like the rest of us
All the seals on my 10yr old (non-Neff) double oven are stuck only at the corners, I can pull it away everywhere else. There's a slight bit of tension in the rubber seal which is keeping the horizontal sections from sagging much.

How bad is the sagging, perhaps your seeing a problem that doesn't exist?
17-07-2010, 12:43   #9
wait4me

Unfortunately the sagging is leading to a real loss of heat as the fan is blowing the heat out the top of the oven door - so a replacement is the only solution I'm afraid. The rubber seal must have lost it tension - perhaps due to age. Thanks for your reply.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-07-2010, 21:06   #10
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
Unfortunately the sagging is leading to a real loss of heat as the fan is blowing the heat out the top of the oven door - so a replacement is the only solution I'm afraid. The rubber seal must have lost it tension - perhaps due to age. Thanks for your reply.
I imagined you had explored this option before you asked for an alternative. My apologies for the bum steer
18-07-2010, 10:38   #11
Phoenix180

oven rubber seal

You can buy a tube of adhesive intended for repairing oven glass that has come unstuck, as well as the rubber seals. If you read the reviews many people have used it for fixing the rubber seals. The adhesive remains rubbery once cured so can flex with the seal. They are based in the UK but post to Ireland.

The cost is £4.99 + £2.20 postage to Ireland

Oven Seal adhesive

Hope this helps
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size