Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Sons of Anarchy" film in Belfast

Options
  • 10-07-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, this can go into the TV forum, or the Belfast City forum, but I thought that here would be best, due to the part I've bolded in the quote.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/10553740.stm
    Sons of Anarchy is a drama made by Twentieth Century Fox which is normally set in the fictional Northern Californian town of Charming.

But local bike fans are now getting a chance at stardom as the latest twist in the show takes it to Northern Ireland's shores.

One of the show's producers, Kevin Jackson, said he was now searching for lookalikes who could contribute to Sons of Anarchy, and described why it was logical to feature Belfast in its third series.

"The Sons of Anarchy are a sort of Hell's Angels chapter set up a couple of generations back by a legendary figure in the series and still run by his family," he said.

"At an early stage in series one they establish a link with Belfast and throughout series one and two encounter many difficulties with rival factions in their own town.
    And by link, they mean running guns for the IRA.

The yanks like having an "Irish connection", but I wonder how this will go down? I'm thinking that they'll have as many murals as they can in the episodes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I watch Sons of Anarchy, it's not particularly good to be honest. Trying to apply "The Sopranos" template to biker clubs simply doesn't work.

Back to the topic though, they introduced the Irish gun running plots early on, it's embarrassing, the group is known as the True IRA. The accents are cringe-worthy, "'so how's the war going back home?' 'ahh to be sure to be sure we're keepin the pressure on begorrah'" kinda thing. They appear to be shipping guns from California to Donegal :confused:
    The Scottish biker lad who in one episode was a medic in the British Army then somehow became a True IRA connection later on. bah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

While we must remember that the show is fiction so we should expect writers to be liberal with the truth to say the least, I disagree with a previous poster.
    Even though the show is far fetched in some ways, its also more gripping and realistic in the addressing of drugs, gun control and undercurrent racism to say the least than a lot of a lot worse American and even European shows.

Having watch the two full seasons now, I'm looking forwards to the third series. So are a lot of other people too.

O' and guns being smuggled into Ireland were shipped to the Donegal coast previously.
    They were landed there because there was many quiet outlets on the west coast while close enough to the NI border when once put then into transports. Those transports would then try to (as little as possible) drive across the border and be dropped off. The further they would have to drive (it was assessed) if the guns were delivered more often down upon a more southern coastline, would mean more chance of they being possibly spotted, stopped or open to risk.
    Donegal was a compromise between distance and exposure time in relation to getting them across the border.

...And they are doing "filming" - not making a film as the title thread might inadvertently suggest, just for clarity. Its also a very badly written article. They should have stated for example "they established a link with Belfast". The previous way its written and surmised suggests they will establish something in the future.

I'm well aware of Donegal being used but it's a little bit too far-fetched for them originating in California (remember when Bobby killed the port official man in Oakland?)

I do enjoy the series, I just think the Irish aspect of it is really, really stupid. A Russian or Japanese or South American "gang" would be far more logical and believable. And I know you're gonna say boards.ru/jp would have similar complaints :pac:

California, the biker gangs there were/are well know for their gun activities amid other things.

I take the whole thing with a pinch of salt and just enjoy it for what it is, fiction and good drama.
    Great acting too - Katey Sagal as Gemma Morrow is really acting her ass off, especially in season two after a certain incident happens.
    (Not going to post spoilers) :)

Biggins wrote: »
    (Not going to post spoilers) :)

good, cos I'm watching it on Bravo :P

• Advertisement

Absurdum wrote: »
    good, cos I'm watching it on Bravo :P
    By the end of season two, you will be dying to for three to start. They really do kick it up a level in the second half of season two and the ending...

...that would be telling but stick with it, its worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

this is probably one of my favourite shows

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The IRA once upon a time did indirectly source weapons from redneck towns like the one in that show, but it's a pretty ridiculous subplot to be honest. I'm all about Spartacus these days anyway.

Yeah the auld yanks do like the Irish connection, must be the whole charming "urban guerilla" and Irish mysticism lark or something.

caspa307 wrote: »
    this is probably one of my favourite shows
    Same here.
    I'm only disappointed I can't get it yet in HD format to buy.
    Its one of those more quiet shows that smoulders away and only months/years later when watched by others late to the show, they ask themselves "how the hell did we miss this great show the first time around!" - especially by the end of season two and its ruddy great ending. :D

I wouldn't dwell too much on the details to be honest of the NI connection.
    Its ALL show fiction at the end of the day ...or episode! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Absurdum wrote: »
    They appear to be shipping guns from California to Donegal :confused:.

I'd like to point out the show is even less well researched than this (this plot was final straw for me, I gave it a long chance cos of Ron Perlman)

As far as I can work out there shipping Guns from the North to California where the Sons sell them to the 1-9 gang

(I think they actually say Dungloe in one of the episodes but can't tell cos of terrible accents)

Ps lots of guns came from US to North, Barrets and Armilites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

cool, its a great show

borrowed very heavily from Shakespeare tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

(I think they actually say Dungloe in one of the episodes but can't tell cos of terrible accents)

Ps lots of guns came from US to North, Barrets and Armilites.

Perhaps they should get Martin Ferris to guess star in this particular episode?

Advertisement