Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a rough valuation

Options
  • 12-06-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Last summer, I inherited a self winding Hublot branded watch from my Grandad. Now my mom is just wondering whether it should be put on the house insurance so I was looking for a rough valuation of it. If it is worth insuring, then we can get a formal valuation in a jewellers.

It's face is black with markings saying :
    Hublot Automatic
    MDM Geneva
    Swiss-made
    21E19C59C1F147688813D3A2592FA31A-800.jpg
    BCBB9EBB952641F59A68F9653C9FF796-800.jpg

It's back is a skeleton casing and the self winding system has markings saying :
    Hublot
    25 jewels
    Swiss-made
    D1E08F4933D845AB8546369A1A6AE1BC-800.jpg
    9B65A696449A4AE2B12570378C0387DC-800.jpg

I think, although I'm not certain, that my Grandad had the strap replaced at some stage so that will probably affect the value?

Another thing.
    I haven't been wearing it because it is too big for my wrist and also because of the memories it brings back so it hasn't been self winding and I haven't been manually winding it. While I'm not wearing it, should I be winding it to keep the mechanism ticking over or is it alright?

Thanks in advance,
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

bedlam wrote: »
    I believe this old Antiquorum auction is for the same model as your grand fathers. It went for €1639 back on May 11th 2008 based on an exchange rate of 1chf = 0.62068 on that date.

Unfortunately your grandfather did indeed change the strap and this will probably reduce the value of the watch to collectors, as the rubber strap is part of Hublot history, they being the first brand (afaik) to sell gold watches on rubber.

It's certainly worth getting valued regardless, if you get it done in the Republic expect to be charged in or around 10% of the valuation price for the pleasure.
    So, for them to tell me that it is worth €1600, they would charge €160. Pretty steep!

Thanks for your response BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 login1

Weirs on Grafton ST charge 40 euro and 1% of the valuation which is considerably cheaper - I don't work for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

login1 wrote: »
    Weirs on Grafton ST charge 40 euro and 1% of the valuation which is considerably cheaper - I don't work for them :)
    That is considerably cheaper but Dublin doesn't exactly suit seeing as I'm from Limerick! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

kennealleys in wickem street, an old established buisness, + i always find them very reasonable.

Advertisement