Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wedding dresses

• 12-05-2010 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hello all, i'm new to boards.ie, i'm hoping i can get some help from all you girls out there. I am hoping to start my own business and need to do some market research.

I would like to get an idea of how much money women are spending on wedding dresses.

I hope you can all enlighten me!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

My sister-in-law spent €1400 on hers last August, shoes and veil were all separate and quite expensive too.

She paid the same person who owned the dress shop €150 for alterations for her dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I like the story of the bride who bought her dress on ebay for €600, then re-sold it on ebay later for €800. The €200 profit paid for the alterations. Now THATS smart.

Mrs.Goat bought a linen skirt & jacket from a Laura Ashley sale rail for about £40.00.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well when I got married 7 years ago, I paid the princely sum of €715. My sis is getting married later this year and she has spent €950 on hers.

I think the mantra of 'pay what you can afford' really applies here. I've never understood people paying thousands that they can't afford for a dress they wear once.

I also think the trend is to spend less on the dress these days. My sisters budget was €1000 and she was spoiled for choice in that price bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

hello all, i'm new to boards.ie, i'm hoping i can get some help from all you girls out there. I am hoping to start my own business and need to do some market research.

www.weddingsonline.ie gets lots of brides (past and future) You should check it out- there's a forum called Old Faithful and you could post a proper poll/ survery asking people what they've paid or will pay for their wedding dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

€800 for dress last year and €300 for alterations. Shoes €39 from next, €200 on veil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭emma82

€1500- not incl shoes, or veil or alterations or any accessories. This is really expensive I know & I am normally a cautious shopper but I'd rather spend €1500 in shop than chance it for €800 on ebay- there are some horror stories out there. My mate got a complete dud & had to spend the cost price of the dress again on alterations & changes as the quality was so poor. They are not all like this & please don't me get wrong- I love Ebay & regularly shop there but not for a wedding dress.

I shopped around & got it for €450 cheaper than where I tried it on. Its still a huge amount of money though... It is my wedding dress though & I'm never going to wear anything as beautiful or expensive (& made to measure to 'me') in my life again so?? Getting married in March so have just bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

My cousin spent 2,000 excluding veil and shoes, She bought it in
    a bridal shop, It was beautiful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ainemarie21

emma82 wrote: »
    €1500- not incl shoes, or veil or alterations or any accessories. This is really expensive I know & I am normally a cautious shopper but I'd rather spend €1500 in shop than chance it for €800 on ebay- there are some horror stories out there. My mate got a complete dud & had to spend the cost price of the dress again on alterations & changes as the quality was so poor. They are not all like this & please d
    on't me get wrong- I love Ebay & regularly shop there but not for a wedding dress.

I shopped around & got it for €450 cheaper than where I tried it on. Its still a huge amount of money though... It is my wedding dress though & I'm never going to wear anything as beautiful or expensive (& made to measure to 'me') in my life again so?? Getting married in March so have just bought it.

Best of luck on your big day...thanks so much for the info. I'm sure you'll look beautiful.

My sister-in-law spent €1400 on hers last August, shoes and veil were all separate and quite expensive too.

She paid the same person who owned the dress shop €150 for alterations for her dress.

thanks a million for the information, if you hear of any other prcies be sure to let me know!!!!

miss5 wrote: »
    My cousin spent 2,000 excluding veil and shoes, She bought it in
    a bridal shop, It was beautiful though.

Am sure its stunning. Thanks for info:D

• Advertisement

MJOR wrote: »
    €800 for dress last year and €300 for alterations. Shoes €39 from next, €200 on veil

cheers for the info....it does seem that alterations are very expensive!! :)

SueWho wrote: »
    www.weddingsonline.ie gets lots of brides (past and future) You should check it out- there's a forum called Old Faithful and you could post a proper poll/ survery asking people what they've paid or will pay for their wedding dress.

Thanks Sue...i did join weddingsonline....however I didnt see the fourm Old Faithful.....again many thanks I hope I can get lots of replies!!!

ncmc wrote: »
    Well when I got married 7 years ago, I paid the princely sum of €715. My sis is getting married later this year and she has spent €950 on hers.

I think the mantra of 'pay what you can afford' really applies here. I've never understood people paying thousands that they can't afford for a dress they wear once.

I also think the trend is to spend less on the dress these days. My sisters budget was €1000 and she was spoiled for choice in that price bracket.

HI I agree with that mantra, and thanks for the info re the 1000 euro bracket.

I'm loving your user name!! thanks for the reply if you know of any other prices be sure to let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Most women spend under a thousand on the dress according to the guy off dragon's den.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i'm looking for a vintage or vintage style dress and would not like to spend more than €1000 euro for everything...
    not exclusively looking online either, will buy anywhere that i find "the one".

rantyface wrote: »
    Most women spend under a thousand on the dress according to the guy off dragon's den.

thanks for that I dont suppose you remember where they said they got that spend figure from??

who said it one of the dragons or some from the public!!! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

thanks for that I dont suppose you remember where they said they got that spend figure from??

who said it one of the dragons or some from the public!!! cheers

Hi, the bald blue-eyed dragon who owns black tie said it. He wouldn't get involved in an expensive wedding carpet business, saying that people don't spend nearly as much on weddings as the media would have you believe. He said most women spend in the hundreds on a dress, and rarely in the thousands.

HI everyone. I am doing research for a project, I'm trying to ascertain how much brides are spending or have spent on their wedding dresses.This is my second posting, I had great response first time round. Thanks ladies, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged.

ainemarie21, there is no need to create a new thread. Please continue to post in the old thread.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I'm loving your user name!! thanks for the reply if you know of any other prices be sure to let me know.

:o

I will tell you to be very careful buying bridesmaids dresses from a bridal shop - the sizes are so funny :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mardi

Hi Aine Marie, just over 3 years ago I spent €1350 on my wedding dress, can't remember how much alterations were, think under €100, veil was €280, tiara around €150, shoes were only €30 - €40 in Next. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I would like to get an idea of how much money women are spending on wedding dresses.

I hope you can all enlighten me!!

I think it depends really mine csot €2,500 in Dec 2008, (Bronte bridal, "Grace" Dress) €150 for alterations, my shoes were €160
    (Benjemin Adams).... Best of Luck :D

Advertisement