Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Territory multiple accident victims to be barcoded.

Options
  • 17-05-2010 4:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Territory victims in large-scale accidents or catastrophes will soon be barcoded at the scene before being sent to hospital.

bdqqyw.jpg

Experts say it is only a matter of months before Territory emergency services adapt the revolutionary barcode card technology.

And the rest of Australia is expected to soon follow suit.

Isn't bar barcoding considered old hat now, wouldn't it be a lot more practical to use RFID?

(They couldn't jump to that technology too quick, there would be too much panic. :p)

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/05/13/147041_ntnews.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Territory victims in large-scale accidents or catastrophes will soon be barcoded at the scene before being sent to hospital.

bdqqyw.jpg

Experts say it is only a matter of months before Territory emergency services adapt the revolutionary barcode card technology.

And the rest of Australia is expected to soon follow suit.

Isn't bar barcoding considered old hat now, wouldn't it be a lot more practical to use RFID?

(They couldn't jump to that technology too quick, there would be too much panic. :p)

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/05/13/147041_ntnews.html

No pictures of Nazis rtdh??

Anyway you left out the bit in the article where it says that it's the patients triage card that will have a barcode, not a tattoo on their foreheads as you suggest!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No pictures of Nazis rtdh??

Anyway you left out the bit in the article where it says that it's the patients triage card that will have a barcode, not a tattoo on their foreheads as you suggest!

thats a reasonably accurate portrayal of the population of the NT :D:D:D

And the issue isnt how they plan issuing barcodes, more the fact that they are. whats wrong with the system in place at the moment??

why do we need to barcode people at the scene of an accident?

If I get hit by a car I expect the ambulance to pick me up bring me to a Hospital and Fix me, when I wake up they can ask me for my details and I may or may not give them, dependin on the humor I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Could I request some kind of RFID/Barcode sticky megathread? These keep popping up and they're nearly indistinguishable from each other every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RoboClam wrote: »
    Could I request some kind of RFID/Barcode sticky megathread? These keep popping up and they're nearly indistinguishable from each other every time.
    Thats the creepy part of it, alarm bells should start ringing.

We are hearing more and more about people branding in the media than ever before.

You should now wake up and start getting worried. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

LOL rtth you must of been waiting for someone to say that for a while now :D
    It does appear that barcodes and rfid is going to become mainstream eventually.I do think it could be usefull but my stance on it is that the immature egotistical idiots who would be in charge of this operation would turn us into an orwellian society just for some extra money.
    Sometimes i feel like i should have been born in another time like a few hundred years into the future and possibly be living with humans that arent so stupid as to fire weapons on each other etc.We really are immature as a species its ridiculous and laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If I get hit by a car I expect the ambulance to pick me up bring me to a Hospital and Fix me, when I wake up they can ask me for my details and I may or may not give them, dependin on the humor I'm in.

That's fair enough if you're the only one in the accident.
    What if there are 5 or 20 males with different problems and similar features?
    How do they do it now?

The guy with the spot on his forehead has a ruptured spleen. The guy with the blue shoes had a heart attack at the scene? The guy with the yellow underwear had a bracelet saying he's allergic to penicillen.
    They probably don't do it like that. Maybe somebody could fill us in. Anything that speeds up care at an emergency is OK with me.

With a barcode I'd imagine this info would be entered, sorted and uploaded to be immediately available to the guys when you arrive at the hospital.

Edit: Why the need for the images with guys tatooed with barcodes? Are you implying that there are tattoo artists going with ambulance crews. Or are you just trying to show an extreme image that isn't relevant to try and evoke reactions from people. I'd be willing to bet anything you can remove the bracelet or sticker with the barcode on it when you're able to identify yourself or are going through the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

thats a reasonably accurate portrayal of the population of the NT :D:D:D

And the issue isnt how they plan issuing barcodes, more the fact that they are. whats wrong with the system in place at the moment??

why do we need to barcode people at the scene of an accident?

I suppose it's to make sure that they sew the right head onto the right body once they pick up all the pieces

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Ah we're already screwed RTDH. I think they can locate anybodys mobile phone down to a few hundred metres. How many people reading this don't have a mobile? In a couple of years the GPS phones will be more common so then they (whoever they are) can get us to a couple of feet.

Except if I'm in my folks house. I think that house has a tinfoil wrapper. I can never get a signal in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Ah we're already screwed RTDH. I think they can locate anybodys mobile phone down to a few hundred metres. How many people reading this don't have a mobile? In a couple of years the GPS phones will be more common so then they (whoever they are) can get us to a couple of feet.

Except if I'm in my folks house. I think that house has a tinfoil wrapper. I can never get a signal in there.

they dont need gps.... they can already triangulate signals from differnt towers to give an acurate reading of where you are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

That's more like it RTDH! I don't see the big deal about the first link, barcodes are so passé :P All jokes aside, it's for the management of a disaster situation, and ensure the speediest treatment of the who ever needs it more.
    I could see RFID chips being used in the future for the tracking of criminals, children, vunerable people etc before becoming "main stream". Criminals I'd be fine with, but with people that can't give consent I'd object to the the chips being injected under the skin, a braclet or something that can be removed would be better. Or hidden in an item of clothing.
    This would get people used to them, then the mass tagging of the herd.
    I'll be damned if any one is going put one of those in me though!

Mobiles can still be operated in this country unregistered.

May not last too long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I was getting prankcallson my mobile last year and asked in the copshop what theyare able to do if i wanted to proceed with things.
    The Garda there told me they only need my number to set a trace and they can pinpoint the other phone to within a meter of it.
    So if they can do that already im sure its possible technically to tapany number or tranmission and find where its going exactly.

Advertisement