Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not HDR, but.... C&C discussion welcomed

Options
  • 24-03-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I normally just put up the occasional pic on the random thread, and the very occasional comment. In fact this is probably the first time I've started a thread.

Here goes.

The shot below was taken on the N11 just outside Bray at the Enniskerry turnoff at an Offshoot photo soc light trails night.

4457410589_99c338a3b4_b.jpg

The original from the camera is this

4459292307_aff4416b00.jpg

and after basic processing in lightroom (colour balance and exposure levels) it looked like this

4459291311_0271648493.jpg

For those interested

D300, 10 -20mm Sigma at 14mm, ISO 200, F8, 28 sec exposure, tripod mounted and self timer released. Raw capture, but camera set to tungsten white balance.

Processing in lightroom 2 - Fill Light max 100, blacks 100, Contrast 100, Clarity very high, Vibrance 100 and then desaturated using a negative saturation level.

Photoshop for correcting the tilting verticals and sharpening.

I read the recent thread on HDR with interest and thought I would put this up.

Obviously this is not HDR / Tone mapping in technique, but the overall effect is a bit out there. Does it work, or do you think the basic image is better? What do you think of this kind of stuff?

I'm in two minds myself, so would be pleased of any thoughts you might have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I really like this. to me it doens't look HDR/tonemapped. I can see it was heavily processed but I wouldnt say it was overprocessed.

It's obvious you set out for theimage to look like that and I think you acheived what you set out to do. The colours are strong and striking, the composition is good with the mix of the curves barriers inthe foreground and the strong straight lines of the infrastructure coupled with the starkness and contrast between the lights and shadow areas. There is noise/grain in there too (or there seems to be) from the processing and I think it adds to the grittyness/urban nature of the picture. I think if the bus didn't pass thorugh it wouldnt be so engaging or interesting.

I think it would look very good printed, mounted and framed.

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

I like it too, first impression was it looks like "the future" in an 80s scifi movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i like it. although it looks over sharp, which gives it a graphic quality

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Nice work.
    I personally like the bottom shot the most, I love the light trails and the natural feel of it.
    For the third shot I'd personally try dropping the exposure (on the inside of the railing and footpath in the bottom of the shot) but not as extremely as on the top shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I absolutely love the shot Kazi!! I'd agree with Steve, it's a slight bit oversharp. This would look amazing printed huge on a wall I'd say!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Not a photographer, but think it's an awesome pic. I can see it looking really nice in print.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭4sb

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words.

Funnily enough, just tried printing it out and it doesn't look good - the blue cyan under the bridge is horrific, and the bus light trail at the very left of the page are very muddy. My first thought was out of gamut, but I dont think so.

Any ideas? Off to research the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

My first guess would be out of gamut too...

Haven't checked the profiles/paper I have setup at the moment but that's what I got off the bat for gamut range..

gamut.jpg

Sexy sickly green being out of gamut

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

I really like this - especially the way the light trail almost mirrors the bridge and the deep blues are great. It does not look HDR to me but maybe a tad over sharp. Don't know anything about the gamut and profiles stuff I'm afraid.

Advertisement