Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Green Plaza - Pedestrianise College Green for 2016

Options
  • 14-03-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Join the facebook group: College Green Plaza - Pedestrianise College Green for 2016

2016 is around the corner and civic squares aren't an uncommon way to celebrate such national centenaries. Dublin still lacks any real central square and the docklands plans for "The Parlour", a rectangular wall of shipping containers, isn't exactly going to set the city, let alone the country or world alight...

There had been talk in the last few years of pedestrianising College Green. The gov have already experimented with the bus corridor and hopefully around 2016 there will be the MN/DARTu "Dublin Metro", making it easier than ever to go ahead and transform the area around TCD and the Bank of Ireland into Ireland's national civi plaza, "on a par with the Piazza Maggiore in Bologna".

It has been proposed by TCD and Ciarán Cuffe (perhaps a candidate for the first Dublin mayor elections?).

In my opinion it's time to bring this back on the agenda, it's entirely doable, very much needed and would be a great addition to the city for 2016.

070921_Conference_Lg.jpg

Image7.png

Look at the space you're working with... a plaza here would be beautiful.

college_green.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

Busgate might even be a testing of the waters, the gov is more sympathetic to the idea than you'd think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Absolutely shocking what DCC have just done in College Green. They've erected 4 lamp poles right in front of the BOI portico and butchered the old granite pavement, patching it up with tarmac. eek.gif

Is there anyone in DCC that gives a sh!t about this city?

A post over on Archiseek by GrahamH somes it up

CollegeGreen2-10-20115.jpg
    (c) GrahamH

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

It would cause traffic chaos. Bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leshamry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I would be in favour of this in theory but some real planning would need to be done to get it sorted, primarily the flow of public transport through there but I think this would be possible. Would be best to have outside consultants do this who have experience rather than Dublin Council as they are useless with no foresight and planning.

I have travelled to many cities around the world and the majority have focal points. Sydney has their harbour, Melbourne has Fed square, London has many including Trafalgar square and Covent garden.

Good idea but needs some serious work and lobbying to get it done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement