Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

29-10-2009, 22:49   #16
ician

yo if any of ye are really stuck for a job and need some cash asap moving companies are the way to go. Always looking for people and will hire you as long as you can lift a box. I worked for AMJ Campbell there, got jobs there for more people too. And there is alot of moving companies around. Hard work but it pays pretty good, start off like 13-14$ an hour.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2009, 23:56   #17
the whole year inn

Is there a mock C.V some one could post up.Also icain is the moving jobs all year round?
02-11-2009, 00:17   #18
ician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob_smacked View Post
Is there a mock C.V some one could post up.Also icain is the moving jobs all year round?
Yeah all year round.
02-11-2009, 19:30   #19
Moondust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob_smacked View Post

Check this out - very helpfull
http://www.cvtips.com/sample_resume/
02-11-2009, 23:22   #20
the whole year inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ician View Post
yo if any of ye are really stuck for a job and need some cash asap moving companies are the way to go. Always looking for people and will hire you as long as you can lift a box. I worked for AMJ Campbell there, got jobs there for more people too. And there is alot of moving companies around. Hard work but it pays pretty good, start off like 13-14$ an hour.
how do you go about getting a job,go to there office post/email in the C.V?I think the best option would be go to there office as I hear peope over there are pretty laid back and need to be presistent.Thanks for the help I think moving company's would be the best option for me and the 2 other lads coming with me.

just a few questions what hours do they work,do they work on Saturdays and what wage would expect to bring in?
Advertisement
03-11-2009, 04:27   #21
Táck

2 Jobs in the 1 day !!!

well its not quite as clear as the title says but if truth be known i did get offered two jobs in the one day.

i've been tryins since the beginning of October. I had 3 interviews and got two of them. Both part time work. i had no intention of working part time but it seems to be the norm for a lot of people over here. as someone said to me, this town aint cheap.

one of the jobs is working in a sports shop which is handy enough. i did see someone else said they were more qualified then the interviewer, well that was my case AND he was more nervous then me. weird experience but still, it'll do the job for now. no pun intended. the other job is kiosk sales in the airport for a product thats pretty big over here. so im really looking forward to that one.

as advice to others il say just keep trying. my girlfriend is still looking but im sure she'll get sorted soon. get out there with your cv. 30,40,50 cv's and get out and walk up and down broadway, commercial, main and get downtown. if your looking for something specific then you'll be waiting imo. or you could get lucky, who knows. there are signs in some shop windows. craigslist can be demoralising at times. i applied to dozens, feicin loads, and got 5 responses in total. two of which, i googled the company and they were bacially scam companies that get you to work for a week and then make you pay for their sales tools crap.

i cant think of anyhting else...if anyone has any questions pm me or fire away here
06-01-2010, 23:20   #22
Táck

****, i just got let go. not my fault, the job is closing down...tomorrow. so i'm back on the hunt again.

if anyone knows of anything please do let us know...sigh
06-01-2010, 23:59   #23
myleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_dog View Post
tanx.... let me no wat its like overall over der... I cant wait to go
Most jobs require an ability to spell correctly.
Thanks from:
15-02-2010, 12:55   #24
Kellzer

Could anyone give me advice on the job situation in vancouver. im a structural engineer and would hope to work in that area. Is there much construction going on in the city? If anyone could give me info it would be much appreciated. Am I better off going to Toronto? Would much prefer Vancouver if theres jobs there
Advertisement
15-02-2010, 15:53   #25
colin29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellzer View Post
Could anyone give me advice on the job situation in vancouver. im a structural engineer and would hope to work in that area. Is there much construction going on in the city? If anyone could give me info it would be much appreciated. Am I better off going to Toronto? Would much prefer Vancouver if theres jobs there
More often than not to get that kind of work they will require you to know the local building codes.
16-02-2010, 21:08   #26
ze4400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellzer View Post
Hey Kellzer, I'm a building services engineer working in vancouver five months now. Was really lucky to find a good company. Yeah you'll need to learn the building codes and work mostly in imperial but you can pick it up pretty quick. I found my job by looking through the allpages, (like the goldenpages), looking up company's websites and sending my resume - make sure you have the correct format for this. From what i hear there is more construction in toronto at present but theres still plenty here. Things are also expected to pick up again after the olympics, there was a lull in things the past year as most related projects were being finished. Good luck with the search anyway....
17-02-2010, 20:51   #27
augustus gloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze4400 View Post
Hey Kellzer, I'm a building services engineer working in vancouver five months now. Was really lucky to find a good company. Yeah you'll need to learn the building codes and work mostly in imperial but you can pick it up pretty quick. I found my job by looking through the allpages, (like the goldenpages), looking up company's websites and sending my resume - make sure you have the correct format for this. From what i hear there is more construction in toronto at present but theres still plenty here. Things are also expected to pick up again after the olympics, there was a lull in things the past year as most related projects were being finished. Good luck with the search anyway....
zee: would you know whats the situation for tradesmen, bricklayer myself heading over aroundjuly hopefully, thanks
17-02-2010, 21:00   #28
InTheTrees

Craigslist

Craigslist is widely used here in north america. It may be useful to give an idea of jobs:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/
Thanks from:
18-02-2010, 22:16   #29
ze4400

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus gloop View Post
zee: would you know whats the situation for tradesmen, bricklayer myself heading over aroundjuly hopefully, thanks
Not so good for bricklayers at the mo, I know one fella who was laid off recently... A brickie mate of mine came over last july and couldn't find work after 6 weeks so left for Edmonton. The pay is better there and there seems to be plenty of work for all trades... a plumber and electician folllowed the same, after a month of looking in vancouver. Saying that, things might change in the next few months, theres no harm in trying vancouver, edmonton is an hour and a half away and flights are quite cheap......
Thanks from:
22-02-2010, 03:28   #30
bigbadbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin29 View Post
More often than not to get that kind of work they will require you to know the local building codes.
Hey,

I'm heading over soon enough myself and am seemingly one of a ball of engineers looking for work.

What do you mean by the local building codes?
Is there much chance of getting labouring work there?
Forum Closed