Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2010, 11:17   #1
Davy
Category Moderator

Ulster bank start late openings till 7pm from monday the 15th

Ulster bank are starting late openings in branches from monday, to "support Halifax customers at this difficult time"

The unite union not happy about it going by the article in the independent: http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-2061792.html

Quote:
ULSTER Bank has been accused of "naked profiteering" by organising late openings to poach customers from axed Halifax branches.

Next week the bank will extend hours at 42 branches it operates near the 44 Halifax branches where hundreds of staff face compulsory redundancy.

The longer hours, from 10am until 7pm, will start on Monday, although the Halifax branches will not begin to close until May.

Trade union Unite, which represents staff at Halifax, is furious at the move, which it condemned as "akin to dancing and singing at a car crash", and urged people to "walk quickly past" the doors of the Ulster bank branches involved.
Is this a good or bad move by ulster bank?
Advertisement
13-02-2010, 11:23   #2
shanemort

They are providing a service to the public theres nothing wrong with that!

All banks should be open late, Most of the people work 9-5 and the banks open 10-4 what a joke!!!

Sod the unions, beard'd Sinn Fein supporters the lot of them!
13-02-2010, 11:47   #3
Jet Black

Well its good to see unite saying something about it. While I was there, there was not much communication between them and the branch staff except a newsletter irrelevant to us. There was not many working in the branch network in the union so hopefully that has changed since I left. The closure was coming a long time. The staff were told unless they get enough customers it will be closed. Unite was no were to support us then.

I dont see what the big issue is really. Halifax are definitely closing, Unite bitching about it is not going to make a difference. Bad form telling people not to bank there too. Ulster are just doing what any business would do.

I honestly think its a good move by ulster bank, even with the bad publicity this may recieve people will still find out they are open until 7 and have now got the only visa debit in Ireland atm.
13-02-2010, 11:52   #4
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemort View Post
They are providing a service to the public theres nothing wrong with that!

All banks should be open late, Most of the people work 9-5 and the banks open 10-4 what a joke!!!

Sod the unions, beard'd Sinn Fein supporters the lot of them!
Too right, bank opening hours in this country are a joke. I have to take time off work at least once or twice a month because of the 10-5 opening hours. Online banking can only do so much. All banks should open till 7pm at least 3 days a week and open for 4 hours on a Saturday just like a Credit Union.
13-02-2010, 12:06   #5
gandalf

About time although I suspect it will only be these hours until the end of May, then they will go back to the "normal" hours. If its permanent its to be welcomed and I think all other banks should follow with opening on Saturday mornings as well and actually provide a proper service to their customers.

As for the unions they go and take a running jump at this stage, the reason we are in the mess we are is because of protectionist bull from them.
Advertisement
13-02-2010, 12:23   #6
Ogham

I can't believe that many small town banks in Ireland still shut for an hour at lunch - all my local ones do. It's a right pain sometimes.
Ulster (and the others) should think about stopping this out of date practice as well as looking at opening later.
Thanks from:
13-02-2010, 12:57   #7
jaceq

I think that's great move of Ulster, they won me (as a client ) already but this just makes me feel I made a great decision! Way to go!

I think all banks should follow and extend opening hours, as well as they should be open on Saturdays , even if that would be for 3-4 hours.

Interesting bit is that I see some action by Ulster to get as many halifax customers as possible, however it seems that any other bank out there doesn't care...
13-02-2010, 16:31   #8
almalahide

Well if Ulster Bank really wanted to help me at this difficult time they might consider opening the same hours as Halifax which would include Saturdays???? I wont hold my breath. As for banks still closing for lunch lol, I really think the Irish banks need a wake up call!
13-02-2010, 17:00   #9
Toots*
To The Petercopter!!

AFAIK, the only ones that still close for lunchare small country ones that might only have 4 or 5 staff, so they couldn't split the lunches because there wouldn't be enough people to actually run the branch.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2010, 17:14   #10
jaceq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots* View Post
AFAIK, the only ones that still close for lunchare small country ones that might only have 4 or 5 staff, so they couldn't split the lunches because there wouldn't be enough people to actually run the branch.
That's still a joke, like they couldn't go for lunch at different times...
13-02-2010, 19:08   #11
Toots*
To The Petercopter!!

Well if they split the lunch ie: 2 go at 12 and 2 go at 1, that'll leave 2 people to run the branch for that hour, which isn't enough.
13-02-2010, 20:28   #12
jaceq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots* View Post
Well if they split the lunch ie: 2 go at 12 and 2 go at 1, that'll leave 2 people to run the branch for that hour, which isn't enough.
Why 2 people is not enough? IT would still be better to have something open (like one cashier) than nothing.
13-02-2010, 22:19   #13
parsi
Banned

Send a message via MSN to parsi
It's a good idea - shows a bit of marketing cleverness.

Pity it's Ulster who we've found to be staffed by fairly clueless folk though I'm sure that everyone has horror tales about different banks.

Also it's a pity that it will only be for a while - there is no doubt that despite the availability of online services branch banking hours need to be a bit more customer friendly.
14-02-2010, 04:50   #14
thomasj

as a halifax customer, I think this is a great move and shows that they have a genuine interest. I havent heard much from AIB or BOI on this. I Was in the college green branch during the week the day after the halifax announcement and the girl was telling me that they had alot of queries from halifax customers.

Heres the news item on the website btw
http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/persona...customers.ashx

Quote:
Welcome to Halifax Customers

Due to the recent announcement, many Halifax customers may be concerned about how to manage their day to day banking needs. At Ulster Bank, we would be delighted if you would consider us as your banking partner and we're working hard to provide immediate support and appropriate solutions for your financial needs.

As a Halifax customer, you can speak to our dedicated Halifax Customer Support team on FreeFone 1800 28 30 52 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturday. Our experienced staff will look after the switching process for you. This will ensure that switching your account to Ulster Bank is as easy as possible.

Alternatively, you can apply online 24 hours a day, seven days a week by clicking on the links below. As with any application for overdrafts, credit cards, or personal loans, these will be reviewed based on your ability to afford the required repayments.

Current Accounts
Visa Debit
Credit Cards
Deposits

In addition, you will also receive a very warm welcome in any of our 146 branches across the country. To make it easier for you to drop into a branch, Ulster Bank branches close to closing Halifax branches will have extended opening hours from 10am to 7pm, Monday 15th February to Friday 19th February. Our staff will be on hand to help you in any way.

Please click here for a full list of these branch locations.

In order to make the most of your first visit to Ulster Bank, it would be very useful if you could bring some supporting documents with you. Please click here for more information.

Finally, we'd just like to repeat our commitment to help minimise any disruption to your day to day banking needs and we hope that we will be welcoming you as an Ulster Bank customer very soon.

Last edited by thomasj; 14-02-2010 at 05:03.
14-02-2010, 05:01   #15
thomasj

and heres the branches with the extended opening hours next week
http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/persona...rs/branch.ashx

Quote:
Halifax Branches UB Equivalent Branch
College Green College Green
St Stephens Green Grafton Street
Ashbourne Ashbourne
Cooklock NS SC Coolock
Omni SC Santry Swords / Coolock
Swords Swords