Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to record FTA channels on your Sky+/Sky+HD box.

• 15-01-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

You may remember a few weeks ago that I posted a thread here saying that I could record FTA channels (ITV 1/2/3/4, BBC HD etc) with my Sky HD box. I thought it was due to a dodgy Sky Box but I tried tonight to do it with my Sky+ box and it worked.

What you need:
    Sky+/HD box
    White Sky Card (Im not sure if it needs to have a Sky+ Sub)

What To Do:
    1. Unplug your Sky Box, place your Sky Card upside down into the box (this will give you the English EPG) and turn on your Sky box.

2.Once the English EPG has loaded, go to any FTA channel.

3.Unplug the 2 feeds you have in your box, quickly turn around your Sky card and put the feeds bak into your box.

4. Press record on the show you are watching. (It is important that you follow step 2 because you wont have time to go to the channel you want, as the EPG will quickly revert back to the Irish EPG).

5. The Irish EPG will load but your show will still record.

This is a very messy method I know but it works. In my experience, Sky HD boxes with the new EPG works much better. I was able to use my old Blue Sky Card with the HD box and the English EPG stayed. I have my HD box in a bedroom and it isnt my primary viewing box so it is a handy second DVR for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Just tried it there again. Its actually not that much hassel. If you know in advanced a movie/show you want to record, all you have to do is pull out the feeds, press record, switch the card and watch something else at the same time. Pity Five isnt on the EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Or just buy a Freesat+ box and save all the hassle!
    (You'll also be able to record 5.)

recycler1 wrote: »
    Or just buy a Freesat+ box and save all the hassle!
    (You'll also be able to record 5.)
    Saves £300 though and you will need another feed if you want to keep your Sky box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Dman001 wrote: »
    Saves £300 though and you will need another feed if you want to keep your Sky box.

Or two feeds, even, if you want Sky+. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Or just buy a FTV card for 20£....Or do you need a full sub to record anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Can you record with an FTV card in a Sky+ or Sky HD box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP is using a card with a current Irish subscription.

What's happens is:

1. Box turned on minus card and loads UK EPG - ITV 2 present
    2. OP inserts Irish card -> card tells box "this is an active subscription so enable recording" -> recording of ITV 2 begins
    3. EPG reverts to Irish EPG but the recording of ITV 2 remains active.

Apogee wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, the OP is using a card with a current Irish subscription.

What's happens is:

1. Box turned on minus card and loads UK EPG - ITV 2 present
    2. OP inserts Irish card -> card tells box "this is an active subscription so enable recording" -> recording of ITV 2 begins
    3. EPG reverts to Irish EPG but the recording of ITV 2 remains active.
    Exactly, that is my theory on it. The Box thinks that the card is an active Sky+ enabled card. Now I dont have a card that wasnt linked to a Sky+ Box so I cant prove this theory. I dont think FTV cards will work because of that reason. Even my old Blue Sky card was linked to a Sky+ box so that is why Im guessing it works.

Edit: Some things I have noticed:

When you turn the card around and press record it will record and the English EPG will stay. But when you try to turn the channel or go to the TV Guide the Irish EPG will load but the recording will still go ahead. As I said, when I try this on my Sky HD box the English EPG stays regardless.

Can you just confirm:

1. You have an active Irish subscription on the White card?
    2. You have an active ??? subscription on the Blue card?

Yes, my White card is an active card. But my Blue card isnt. My Blue card is the old one from when Sky replaced the Blue ones with the White ones. So Im not sure if my Box still recognises the card as a Sky+ enabled card or any type of Sky card will work. My guess is that the Box still recognises the card as a Sky+ enabled card. But I cannot pick up any subscription channels with my Blue card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Just tried this and can confirm that it works on my HD box.

There is no need to disconnect the satellite input feeds.

Here's what I did.

1. Remove sub card
    2. Turn off power at mains
    3. Put card in upsidedown
    4. Reconnect power - UK EPG loads up
    5. Select FTA channel (I used BBC HD to test)
    6. Put card in right way up and press record straight away.

BBC HD records and the Irish EPG reverts after a moment or two (possibly after changing channels).

Excellent find! Another step closer to being able to use Sky+/HD+ to record all channels that it can receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ShaneOC wrote: »

Here's what I did.

1. Remove sub card

BBC HD records and the Irish EPG reverts after a moment or two (possibly after changing channels).

Excellent find! Another step closer to being able to use Sky+/HD+ to record all channels that it can receive.
    Works for me using this method.

Interestingly I recorded whatever was on BBC HD but set it to record the series and next weeks episode has appeared in the planner to record.

Hmmmm I've done alot of fidling around but never came across this method to work with my HD box. But that might be because Im using my old Blue Card. Also with my method the English EPG stays which suits me better.

I don think that method works with Sky+ boxes as other people have mentioned in the other thread. But I have yet to try it out on my Sky+ box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Here's what I did.

1. Remove sub card

Cheers Lads,
    Was able to record ITV on my HD box, wasn't able to record BBC HD but I think that was because I was trying to record the BBCHD preview which says it "can't be entered into planner"

Would this work for recording Channel 4 HD with a FTV card?

Load up C4HD with FTV card then swap to Irish card and press record.

Anyone got a FTV card to try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Channel 4HD does not work. I got it recording but if you go to watch it it says recording interupted.

Anyway this is what I do for fta channels.

1. Select Sky news, turn card upside down, UK epg loads up.
    2. Select fta channel to be recorded..
    3. Turn card right way up and press record.

No need to power off box as my HD box takes ages to reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

gipo2 wrote: »
    Channel 4HD does not work. I got it recording but if you go to watch it it says recording interupted.

Anyway this is what I do for fta channels.

1. Select Sky news, turn card upside down, UK epg loads up.
    2. Select fta channel to be recorded..
    3. Turn card right way up and press record.

No need to power off box as my HD box takes ages to reboot.

This doesn't work for me. It doesn't change to the UK EPG when I turn the card upside down on step 1. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

SkySter wrote: »
    This doesn't work for me. It doesn't change to the UK EPG when I turn the card upside down on step 1. Am I missing something?

If I remember correctly you are supposed to go to Sky News interactive, wait for it to load, and then proceed as indicated. You won't get Channel 4HD in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Very clever, tryed it and it worked.

Here's what I did.

1. Remove sub card

There is also no need to turn your card upside down, don't put the card in at all, the UK EPG will still load up.

If I remember correctly you are supposed to go to Sky News interactive, wait for it to load, and then proceed as indicated. You won't get Channel 4HD in any case.
    That way doesn't seem to work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

tried it fo being human and works for me. pity one can't record a later program or do series link but nice one OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Just go to sky news, but when card is upside down it takes a couple of minutes to load. Try switching to another channel after it loads, it should work. No need to go into any interactive. Also I got Ch 4HD on my ftv card but cant record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

gipo2 wrote: »
    Just go to sky news, but when card is upside down it takes a couple of minutes to load. Try switching to another channel after it loads, it should work. No need to go into any interactive. Also I got Ch 4HD on my ftv card but cant record.

Lads I just came upon this thread by accident, but you have got me all excited now into thinking that I can now record ITV or Channel 5 on my Sky+ box. For example I wanted to record the Brits on Wednesday night, but couldn't due to to UTV/ITV not being available on the ROI EPG. So what you are basically saying is that in future if I want to record something on ITV, I do the following:
    • Turn off my Sky+ box and power back up with my ROI Sky card upside down although I do also have an old blue UK card which I could also use for this purpose.
    • This will now give me a UK EPG, so with the box still powered up, now swap the cards, or put the ROI card back in the correct way up.
    • The UK EPG will still be displayed, so highlight the programme on ITV that you wish to record, and it should record onto my Sky+ box, even if the ROI EPG returns while the programme is recording.
    Hopefully I have this correct, and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Lads I just came upon this thread by accident, but you have got me all excited now into thinking that I can now record ITV or Channel 5 on my Sky+ box. For example I wanted to record the Brits on Wednesday night, but couldn't due to to UTV/ITV not being available on the ROI EPG. So what you are basically saying is that in future if I want to record something on ITV, I do the following:
    • Turn off my Sky+ box and power back up with my ROI Sky card upside down although I do also have an old blue UK card which I could also use for this purpose.
    • This will now give me a UK EPG, so with the box still powered up, now swap the cards, or put the ROI card back in the correct way up.
    • The UK EPG will still be displayed, so highlight the programme on ITV that you wish to record, and it should record onto my Sky+ box, even if the ROI EPG returns while the programme is recording.
    Hopefully I have this correct, and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    That's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Yep works thanks

Just to note that you CAN'T record Channel Five or ITVHD because they are not on the UK EPG. Still using this method and works like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

You can only instant record though right?

At 6pm this evening I tried to programme it to record some rubbish on bbc three at 7pm which subsequently failed....?

Just to note that you CAN'T record Channel Five or ITVHD because they are not on the UK EPG. Still using this method and works like a charm.

Have you tried using a FTV card? i.e. power off box, insert FTV card, load UK EPG + Channel 5, remove FTV and insert Irish card, press record?

Just realised that won't work, because a FTV card points at the Videoguard encrypted version of Channel Five on Astra 2A, rather than the FTA one on 2D.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

Treid the method today and can confirm that it works. Thanks everybody.

• Advertisement

MikeySligo wrote: »
    You can only instant record though right?

At 6pm this evening I tried to programme it to record some rubbish on bbc three at 7pm which subsequently failed....?
    Yes using the method you are currently using. You could try the method on my very first post. I am able to record shows later using the English EPG using this method on my Sky HD box but I cant on my Sky+ Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CCOLGAN

Sorry if this is a stupid question - is this a one time process or do you have to do it every time you want to record on a FTA channel that is not part of the Irish EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

CCOLGAN wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question - is this a one time process or do you have to do it every time you want to record on a FTA channel that is not part of the Irish EPG?
    Just came across this by accident great news as I am in the process of getting a sky box from Cash Converters, for my bedroom. I have fta with a quad LNB and have a Lidl box and an old sky box. Now my question, my daughter subscribes to sky and all her ITV's are on extra channels now the box I have are on 118 ITV2 119 ITV3 120 ITV4. Now if I buy a secondhand sky box will the ITVs be on other channels. Is the box I have a dodgy box and should I now buy a sky box which can record for 10euro extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

CCOLGAN wrote: »

yes i think every time you wish to record a channel which isn't on the Irish epg you will need to reset the box as stated above

Just came across this by accident great news as I am in the process of getting a sky box from Cash Converters, for my bedroom. I have fta with a quad LNB and have a Lidl box and an old sky box. Now my question, my daughter subscribes to sky and all her ITV's are on extra channels now the box I have are on 118 ITV2 119 ITV3 120 ITV4. Now if I buy a secondhand sky box will the ITVs be on other channels. Is the box I have a dodgy box and should I now buy a sky box which can record for 10euro extra

You'll need a sky subscription if you want to record

Yes using the method you are currently using. You could try the method on my very first post. I am able to record shows later using the English EPG using this method on my Sky HD box but I cant on my Sky+ Box.
    What do you mean later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Cheers Lads, wasn't able to record BBC HD but I think that was because I was trying to record the BBCHD preview which says it "can't be entered into planner"

That's correct, BBC HD Preview cannot be recorded, similar to the
    "This is BBC 2" nightscreen text - based service on the rare occaisions BBC 2 doesn't have an overnight service.
    Sky's Box Office Preview channels are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

So this method only works with Sky HD and not Sky+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I tried to schedule a recording on one of the FTA channels but it did not work. Series linking a recording also did not work - the entry would show up in the planner but the recording would fail. So far I have only been able to use this method to 'instant record'.

P.S. This is using a Sky HD box.

Apogee wrote: »
    Have you tried using a FTV card? i.e. power off box, insert FTV card, load UK EPG + Channel 5, remove FTV and insert Irish card, press record?

Just realised that won't work, because a FTV card points at the Videoguard encrypted version of Channel Five on Astra 2A, rather than the FTA one on 2D.

OK, so correction on above - you can record Five using a FTV card.

It seems as though a NI registered FTV card points at the version of Five which is unencrypted on Astra 2D.

So insert FTV card, load NI EPG, go to Five, remove FTV and insert Irish sub, press 'R' and the record of Five will start. This will also work with an expired Blue FTV card.

You can also swap the cards twice, such that you can record BBCHD while watching C4HD:

Insert FTV card, go to BBCHD, remove FTV and insert Irish sub, press 'R' (recording starts), remove Irish sub and re-insert the FTV card - the NI EPG remains, so you can continue to watch BBCHD while the recording continues, or you can watch C4HD or Five.

If you remove a FTV card, you'll notice that C4HD will remain for a few seconds before the keys update, so it was worth trying the method above to record C4HD i.e. insert FTV and clear C4HD, quickly replace with Irish sub and press 'R' and replace again with FTV card. No matter how quickly the cards were replaced, it didn't work.

Cool. Good to know The FTV card works to.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    You'll need a sky subscription if you want to record
    OK So I can't record if I don't pay a sky sub so about the first part of my question . If I buy a secondhand sky box will the ITV's 1.2.3.4. and chanell 4 be on the EPG or will I have to go into services and other channels for them:confused::confused::confused:

OK So I can't record if I don't pay a sky sub so about the first part of my question . If I buy a secondhand sky box will the ITV's 1.2.3.4. and chanell 4 be on the EPG or will I have to go into services and other channels for them:confused::confused::confused:

They should be on the EPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

VMw4r3 wrote: »

[MOD EDIT: Quote deleted]

Oh here we go..........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

NO discussing hacking systems. Back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

If you want to record FTA channels (BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5 ... etc) as well as RTE1,2 and TG4.

a) get your hands on a NI freeview card.
    this has RTE1 on 161, RTE 2 on 162 and TG4 on 163
    there is a thread somewhere on boards on how to get this and activate it.

b) With the ROI sky card in the Sky+ box go to 501(Skynews) and press the red button. Wait for active to load.
    Remove the ROI card and insert the NI freeview card. Close out of active.
    "Searching for listings appears.
    Once finished the NI EPG will be on your Sky+ box.

c) How to keep the NI EPG and record as well as RTE1,2 and TG4

go back to 501 (Sky news).

You need to do the next steps quickly

Insert the ROI sub card in to the Sky+ box and press record. Make sure the "R" appears.
    Immediately once the "R" appears press the red button to enter Active.
    Wait for it to load. Once loaded, close it to return to Sky New and there you go the NI EPG remains.

You can now record all FTV channels(CH5 105) as well as RTE1,2 and TG4.
    Unfortunately using this method the only way to watch TV3 and 3e is via other channels. No recording. Also the extra CH5 channels will not work.

Sky seems to reset the box about every 4-5 days so you may need to repeat this if you want to keep the NI EPG.

I have an old sky+ box and just receive fta ( no subscription paid) would this apply to me

bromley52 wrote: »
    If you want to record FTA channels (BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5 ... etc) as well as RTE1,2 and TG4.

so you are saying that RTE and TG4 are available on free to air satellite in NI but not in the Republic. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Just like in the ROI you need a paid for subscription to receive these channels

I have an old sky+ box and just receive fta ( no subscription paid) would this apply to me

No you will need an active subscription with sky for sky+ functionality to work

greendom wrote: »
    No you will need an active subscription with sky for sky+ functionality to work

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

bromley52 wrote: »

b) With the ROI sky card in the Sky+ box go to 501(Skynews) and press the red button. Wait for active to load.
    Remove the ROI card and insert the NI freeview card. Close out of active.
    "Searching for listings appears.
    Once finished the NI EPG will be on your Sky+ box.

c) How to keep the NI EPG and record as well as RTE1,2 and TG4

go back to 501 (Sky news).

You need to do the next steps quickly

Insert the ROI sub card in to the Sky+ box and press record. Make sure the "R" appears.
    Immediately once the "R" appears press the red button to enter Active.
    Wait for it to load. Once loaded, close it to return to Sky New and there you go the NI EPG remains.

You can now record all FTV channels(CH5 105) as well as RTE1,2 and TG4.
    Unfortunately using this method the only way to watch TV3 and 3e is via other channels. No recording. Also the extra CH5 channels will not work.

Sky seems to reset the box about every 4-5 days so you may need to repeat this if you want to keep the NI EPG.

Thanks. I will try this later. Did you test this with the Sky+ or Sky+ HD EPG?

• Advertisement
Advertisement