Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2009, 00:14   #1
another world

Cancelling Payment Protection - MBNA CC

I´ve been paying Payment Protection on my credit card for the last few years, and basically I want to cancel it. In my current situation it makes no sense to have it. I just want to check what the process is to cancel this? And also, if they will give me a hard time for it. I´m working in a different country now and in a different job, I want to keep my credit card with the same limit I currently have but I don´t want to pay the payment protection every month. Any replies greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
19-09-2009, 07:00   #2
Jet Black

Ring them first. Tell them you want to cancel it. They will normally ask for it in writing like most bank's. Get the address from them to send the letter and ask them once they recieve the letter how long does it take to cancel. Then just write/type a letter with your name and address card number on it, Saying 'I wish to cancel my payment protection on card number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. All they will need is the 16 digit number on the front. Sign and date it. Make sure and ring to confirm its canceled then check your statement to be sure.
Thanks from:
19-09-2009, 18:50   #3
Toots*
To The Petercopter!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask View Post
Make sure and ring to confirm its canceled then check your statement to be sure.
Can't stress this one enough!!! It might be a good idea for you to ask them to send you something in writing too, to confirm it's cancelled. Just in case.
Thanks from:
20-09-2009, 23:05   #4
another world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask View Post
Ring them first. Tell them you want to cancel it. They will normally ask for it in writing like most bank's. Get the address from them to send the letter and ask them once they recieve the letter how long does it take to cancel. Then just write/type a letter with your name and address card number on it, Saying 'I wish to cancel my payment protection on card number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. All they will need is the 16 digit number on the front. Sign and date it. Make sure and ring to confirm its canceled then check your statement to be sure.
Thanks very much. I´ll pretty much follow your advice to a tee!
21-09-2009, 08:09   #5
100gSoma

cancelled it a year or two back on MBNA. did it over the phone. They didn't need it in writing, but they did wrangle with me for 20minutes telling me I needed it. Was exhausting but finally they accepted I didn't want it.
Let us know if they require it in writing.
Advertisement
21-09-2009, 10:02   #6
JD24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100gSoma View Post
cancelled it a year or two back on MBNA. did it over the phone. They didn't need it in writing, but they did wrangle with me for 20minutes telling me I needed it. Was exhausting but finally they accepted I didn't want it.
Let us know if they require it in writing.
Me too. They will try and talk you into keeping it
22-09-2009, 14:54   #7
another world

Just got it cancelled. They tried there best to convince me to stay with it but I just kept saying no. As someone above mentioned a call was all that was necessary. Oh, and it takes 30 days to be cancelled.
22-09-2009, 17:17   #8
Jet Black

Thanks for the follow up. Good they only needed a phone call.
Make sure its canceled when you get your statement after the 30 days.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion