Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-09-2009, 17:43   #1
Toyota_Avensis

Can I register my car in a differant County than the one in which I'm living in?

Can I register my car in a differant county to the one in which I'm living in. I'm considering buying in the North but when I take it into the south, there is a Particular county I would rather have it registered in. Is this possible?
Advertisement
07-09-2009, 17:46   #2
Bogger77

I registered mine at the Revenue office in Cork, with a non Cork reg, but then again my pps number is registered to a non Cork address.

They'll assign you a number based on your PPS, I think, unless you state different, but I'd expect you'd need proof of address to use any other address.
07-09-2009, 17:46   #3
biggus

It will be registerd to whatever county the address of the new registered owner lives even if you pay the duty in a different county.
07-09-2009, 17:53   #4
SV
Closed Account

D reg eh..
07-09-2009, 19:55   #5
Toyota_Avensis

anyone shine any light on this?

Last edited by Toyota_Avensis; 07-09-2009 at 20:02.
Advertisement
07-09-2009, 21:06   #6
bazz26

As already mentioned, the car will be registered to the county of the address that Revenue have in reference to your PPS number. So if for example your PPS number has your address as in Dublin then the car will be registered with a D reg number. You cannot choose what county you want to register it in.
07-09-2009, 21:08   #7
Beer Baron

Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
As already mentioned, the car will be registered to the county of the address that Revenue have in reference to your PPS number. So if for example your PPS number has your address as in Dublin then the car will be registered with a D reg number.
Not true. The car will be registered to the address that you provide the garage with. I bought a new car and was given a L address even though I bought and taxed the car in Cork.

I researched this recently for my father who wants to buy a car in Little Island Cork which is not registered yet and wants an L address even though he lives in County Clare. Boundary issues anyway....................

he is registering the car at his mothers address in Limerick to get the L address.
07-09-2009, 23:15   #8
bazz26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Not true. The car will be registered to the address that you provide the garage with. I bought a new car and was given a L address even though I bought and taxed the car in Cork.

I researched this recently for my father who wants to buy a car in Little Island Cork which is not registered yet and wants an L address even though he lives in County Clare. Boundary issues anyway....................

he is registering the car at his mothers address in Limerick to get the L address.
But the OP is importing a car which afaik means the VRO will issue a registration number based on the address that they have via his/her PPS number. Maybe the rules are different when importing?
07-09-2009, 23:18   #9
colm_mcm
rotaredoM

you fill in your address manually on the registration application. the PPS number doesn't determine that.
you need to use an actual address for receiving the registration cert.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-09-2009, 09:06   #10
2 Espressi

You'd think at a grand a pop for "privileged" plates, they'd let you put any county on it? Madness...
08-09-2009, 09:55   #11
Saab Ed
Closed Account

Well all I can say is I've registered lots of cars with Louth address's to Meath plates but I think the best one ever was " Drogheda Co Dublin. " I know a dealer who registered a car to Dundalk Co Dublin because the owner wanted a D plate. The VRO will reg a car to what ever address you give them, thats my experience anyway.
08-09-2009, 09:58   #12
R.O.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab Ed View Post
Well all I can say is I've registered lots of cars with Louth address's to Meath plates but I think the best one ever was " Drogheda Co Dublin. " I know a dealer who registered a car to Dundalk Co Dublin because the owner wanted a D plate. The VRO will reg a car to what ever address you give them, thats my experience anyway.
Even if you go in to the VRO?

I know the online system will take any combination for new cars, but I thought they had a bit of cop on in the VRO.

Oh, wait a second - it's a Government department......
08-09-2009, 10:01   #13
Saab Ed
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.R View Post
Oh, wait a second - it's a Government department......
They twig fcuk all. Too busy playing pac man or their other favorite game , lets see how long he'll stand there without complaining
08-09-2009, 10:40   #14
fastrac

Jackie Healy Rae got grief from the Kerry folk for having a C reg on his new Merc.Common practice in The Kingdom to keep up the trade in value.
08-09-2009, 10:46   #15
smash

Got a friend that lives in the county you want it registered to? just put your name, your friends address and then you're done. When you get the ownership papers then, just send them back with a change of address!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion