Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Satellite Signal for a couple of hours each day - Solution Found

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hope this helps someone..

I have just upgraded my single LNB to a quad and this is a problem/solution I found while changing it out.

In the last 3 or 4 months Sky would show "no satellite signal". It always seem to happen around mid afternoon and didn't matter about the weather.

The Signal quality and Signal strength: was about 80%
    Lock indicator: OK
    Network ID: 0000
    Transport stream 0000

I did happen to have a spare digi box and using that I knew it was the cable, dish or LNB as I was getting the same problem.
    Rang Sky and they always said that it would cost a €100 for an engineer.

Anyway I decided to wait as I was planning to change the LNB. When I was doing the job, lo and behold the single LNB insatlled by a SKY authorised Installer had insulating tape at the connection. When I took this off, which was very damp and unscrewed the F connector the inner core was broken and there was water inside the connection. (Great job Sky). Problem found...

Changed the LNB and used silicon as per Satcure (i think it was) instructions..

Funny that it never happened at night, always mid afternoon for a couple of hours..

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think that insulating tape can do more harm than good, as it can trap moisture inside, as opposed to keeping it out.

I always use self-amalgamating tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Byte have you tried any of the waterproof compression F plugs? I've found them great and they seem to thread more easily.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I used to use the self compression meant to be waterproof connections when I worked for chorus and have found that over time they become corroded so I now use self-amalgamating tape as does byte on each and every install and service call I ever do as Its the only way in my opinion and I wish all installers using insulating tape hoping for an easy service call into the near future would give it a rest..

Well done Padraig on your self-repair....but I wouldnt encorage every1 to go down this route unless they are height consious...and everycare should be taken.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tony wrote: »
    Byte have you tried any of the waterproof compression F plugs? I've found them great and they seem to thread more easily.
    Yeah, indeed I do, but only when working with quads/octo LNB's, so that I can pull the weather guard down. Find them hard to work with though, trying to push the connector down onto the cable end.

On single LNB's though, I prefer to rely on self-amalgamating tape, with the standard twist-on F's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Dont find them any harder than crimp F's to push on to be honest

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, indeed I do, but only when working with quads/octo LNB's, so that I can pull the weather guard down. Find them hard to work with though, trying to push the connector down onto the cable end.

On single LNB's though, I prefer to rely on self-amalgamating tape, with the standard twist-on F's.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The ones I have compress along the cable instead of hex making a better seal on coax and have a rubber ring in the plug that mates with top of socket. They appear to be waterproof and better tolerance than the twist-on connectors.

The large ones I have for 125 exposed cable crimp to a hex and need tape.

I have also some cheap crimp that use a ring over the coax that is crimped. They are poorer and not remotely waterproof.

You can't really tape the quad or quattros I have. Only use waterproof connectors and clip on the rain cover.

I don't use the twist-ons as these waterproof crimp ons are so much more reliable and easier to screw on gear. I don't find them hard to push into coax end if its prepared right and you twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I was full sure OP would be back by now with the same complaint.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

On my own I simply filled the plugs with silicone grease, connected up, then pulled the cover down. The grease will keep out any condensation. After a year they still look like new.

Advertisement