Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Nigerians really that bad

Options
  • 17-04-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

I am a Nigerian legally resident in Ireland( and not via asylum or irish born child claims..thankfully) and have been living here for about 3 years ,I have met very lovely Irish people epecially in the little town I live in the south west.My experience here has been very memorable and I have enjoyed myself(I have worked and contributed to the Taxman so I am not the type of Nigerian you keep referring to unapologetically on this forum).

We cannot pretend that there is a lot of animosity(almost hatred) towards Nigerians in Ireland(understandably because Ireland has recieved in my opinion the most uneducated and unintelligent of my fellow country men and women compared to the UK and US where for instance a lot of Nigerians go there for studies,so essentially you would find a lot of Nigerian born doctors,nurses,engineers,scientists,lawyers,IT consultants and so effectively people in these countries are able to see some good in us).

I can reason with and share an average Irish citizen's view about Nigerians but I think sometimes you should look at the big picture and be less myopic.I have met a lot of Nigerians here in Ireland that I would not even talk to if we met in Lagos( a very beautiful city with its own challenges) but we all to accept that some of them are here to stay and we could reap the benefits in future ,for instance some of their offsprings could turn out to be very bright ,go to school and contribute meaningfully to the society.If Ireland harnesses their potential some could even bring sporting glories to this country.I also think there are a few that should be encouraged rather than be castigated ( I had a discussion with a Nigerian Taxi driver who felt that ever since Nigerians started applying for and getting taxi plates there has been a lot of uproar from the majority of the Irish populace and yet parodixically they complain when they are not working),believe me some of us can be very nice and enterprising.

Coming to Pamela Izevbekhai's case ,I think she should be deported as soon as possible.She is a big fraud and you can tell it from 10 miles away.It is absolutely impossible for anyone with her education and family status to be forced or coerced into having this procedure done.It is bo_ _ cks.I was very angry when I watched the RTE programme in which she featured and was saying a lot of crap and taking people for fools.I have been working part time as an interpreter for various law firms and refugee services for about 6 months now and the emotions I have felt are ones of bewilderment,shock,and anxiety after listening to a lot of unscrupulous claims by people who would say anything just to stay in Ireland.Professionally I am not allowed to make comments or make any judgements relating to their stories but I literarily refrain myself from laughing out loud during the interviews because I know that almost 99.99999% ( do the maths) of the claims are absolutely false and mostly laughable.

Without sounding boring,I think you should realise we are a country of almost 150 million people and there is bound to be all sorts of characters.Paradoxically in Nigeria,we hold Irish people in high esteem because of their missionary schools and churches but importantly GUINNESS(Diageo make makes most profits in Nigeria after the US).I engage with most Irish people I meet to explain and prove we are not all bad ,but I also think the Irish should not generalise and think all Nigerians are bad ..We are not.God bless you all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

procure11 wrote: »
    Coming to Pamela Izevbekhai's case ,I think she should be deported as soon as possible.She is a big fraud and you can tell it from 10 miles away.

It is absolutely impossible for anyone with her education and family status to be forced or coerced into having this procedure done.It is bo_ _ cks.I was very angry when I watched the RTE programme in which she featured and was saying a lot of crap and taking people for fools.

Im from Sligo, ive never wished her il will and really feel sorry for her kids as they are now settled with friends etc but her story NEVER rang through with me either, it a vocal minority making all the noises about the WHOLE of Sligo is behind her (dont go taking the thread off topic please)

Glad you like the place, you can stay as long as you like as far as im concerned!!!
    Guinness must taste a bit weak compared to the stuff in Nigeria?

BTW the day you feel like leaving and moving somewhere warm is the day yer truly settled;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i just want to take one point out of your post
    If Ireland harnesses their potential some could even bring sporting glories to this country

i cannot wait to harness the potential of having players of African heritage in the Irish football team. With your can you imagine having Jay Jay O'Kocha, Nwank O'Kanu in the team!

Sorry, I don't mean to take the mick dude. Hopefully people will read what you've written and realise that there is huge amounts to be gained from having an immigrant population in this country. We need to publicise this kind of thing, so that we can hopefully avoid the problems faced in other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Without sounding boring,I think you should realise we are a country of almost 150 million people

Not boring at all,Procure1,simply the most salient yet overlooked FACT in all of this Pamela Izevbekhai circus..... :)

It really does venture perilously close to Peter Cook territory to look and listen at/to some of the increasingly surreal stuff being disgorged by the LTS campaign,and particularly the Feminist Activist portion of it.

I mean,ohmyGod how do those poor Nigerian Women actually manage to live at all..surrounded by beastly razor wielding relatives some of whom are MEN :eek:, and worse still probably BLACK (ish) too !!!

Imagine,they actually have a CITY over there...it must be truly horrific for them all,sure is`nt it little wonder they need the protection of our Asylum System,God Love them all.....:rolleyes:

Lets wise up and grow up as a country and society by adopting the attitude which so MANY other NIGERIAN people in Ireland possess towards the Izevbekhai Campaign.....mystified Incredulity at our reluctance to show her the door !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Are Nigerians really that bad?
    Simple answer: No.

My immediate neighbours and their next-door neighbours on my street are absolutely lovely families. Friendly, open and would do anything for most people.

So relax. Unfortunately there are bigots and xenophobes everywhere. Immigration is fairly new in this country. Considering the amount of migration (both legal and illegal) the Irish people still partake in themselves, it is indeed ironic that there is such prejudicial bandwagon jumping with pro-agendaic presumption on a very public case of, as it seems to be, a fraudulant asylum seeker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

OP, recently enough, I ran an independent garage in a town near enough to Dublin. I used to dread Nigerian customers at times because I found they never wanted to pay for anything. Everything was a problem with them, everything was too expensive, and it was a constant battle to deal with them, haggling, pretending that they had no money, agreeing one price with them and then subsequently wanting to change the price, etc.

Having said that, I got on with them all, but I found that they were often hard work and took up too much of my time with messing and as I used to call it, "can't pay-won't pay".

There was this one particular Nigerian that used to come in and one day we had a long chat about Nigeria over a cup of tea and I told him how frustrated I had become with my Nigerian customers, how I often dreaded them coming in the door because I simply could not get money out of them, and this was before the recession kicked in! Nigerian taximen were the most difficult to deal with, they just would not pay for anything.

Anyway this guy said that the reason they carry on like this, is because back in Nigeria, if you want to get something done or buy something, everything is about having to squeeze your way up to the top of the queue to get it, you have to push other people out of the way to get something in a shop or if you want to get a job, you have to be connected to certain people, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I had respect for all my customers, regardless of race, I had a laugh on many occasions with my Nigerian customers, but unfortunately on many but not every occasion, I couldn't get paid by them without a 40 minute soul distroying debate where I had to stand over and justify every cent of the invoice, (which had already been previously agreed), it would sometimes turn into an argument and if I didn't concede, on one occasion, I was told I was a racist and was screamed and roared at in front of staff and other customers.

I ended up getting out of the business because it eventually became harder to get paid for the work than it was to actually do the work I was charging for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Are Nigerians really that bad?
    Simple answer: No.

My immediate neighbours and their next-door neighbours on my street are absolutely lovely families. Friendly, open and would do anything for most people.

So relax. Unfortunately there are bigots and xenophobes everywhere. Immigration is fairly new in this country. Considering the amount of migration (both legal and illegal) the Irish people still partake in themselves, it is indeed ironic that there is such prejudicial bandwagon jumping with pro-agendaic presumption on a very public case of, as it seems to be, a fraudulant asylum seeker.

Well you have the OP who is Nigerian, telling you that in his opinion, and in his experience as a transtlator working for the government on these very matters, that 99% of claims are fraudulent and not just marginally or possibly so, but very obviously so... So I don't think people are jumping to conclusions on the basis of one person trying to bluff the system...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    OP, recently enough, I ran an independent garage in a town near enough to Dublin. I used to dread Nigerian customers at times because I found they never wanted to pay for anything. Everything was a problem with them, everything was too expensive, and it was a constant battle to deal with them, haggling, pretending that they had no money, agreeing one price with them and then subsequently wanting to change the price, etc.

Having said that, I got on with them all, but I found that they were often hard work and took up too much of my time with messing and as I used to call it, "can't pay-won't pay".

There was this one particular Nigerian that used to come in and one day we had a long chat about Nigeria over a cup of tea and I told him how frustrated I had become with my Nigerian customers, how I often dreaded them coming in the door because I simply could not get money out of them, and this was before the recession kicked in! Nigerian taximen were the most difficult to deal with, they just would not pay for anything.

Anyway this guy said that the reason they carry on like this, is because back in Nigeria, if you want to get something done or buy something, everything is about having to squeeze your way up to the top of the queue to get it, you have to push other people out of the way to get something in a shop or if you want to get a job, you have to be connected to certain people, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I had respect for all my customers, regardless of race, I had a laugh on many occasions with my Nigerian customers, but unfortunately on many but not every occasion, I couldn't get paid by them without a 40 minute soul distroying debate where I had to stand over and justify every cent of the invoice, (which had already been previously agreed), it would sometimes turn into an argument and if I didn't concede, on one occasion, I was told I was a racist and was screamed and roared at in front of staff and other customers.

I ended up getting out of the business because it eventually became harder to get paid for the work than it was to actually do the work I was charging for.

Replace 'Nigerian' with 'Farmer' and 'Race' with 'Profession' and you've got a similar situation for somebody I actually know in the auto trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This is a very interesting post. And I have thought about this before. In some respects it does seem to be the worst elements of Nigerian society that we get here. Many credit card scammers, bogus asylum seekers (like the aforementioned Izevbekhai whose kids I feel sorry for) and just people of bad character.

If our government here had allowed people to stay here based on their qualifications, like the way the States used to only accept qualified Irish people, the perception of Nigerian people here would be a lot more positive. I mean we should have been cherry picking doctors, nurses etc etc. people beneficial to the Irish state. Instead we are stuck with a load of so called Asylum Seekers taking benefits from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

as a disabled person the one time i encountered a nigerian person was unreal, the language the intimidation etc.

This is a very interesting post. And I have thought about this before. In some respects it does seem to be the worst elements of Nigerian society that we get here. Many credit card scammers, bogus asylum seekers (like the aforementioned Izevbekhai whose kids I feel sorry for) and just people of bad character.

If our government here had allowed people to stay here based on their qualifications, like the way the States used to only accept qualified Irish people, the perception of Nigerian people here would be a lot more positive. I mean we should have been cherry picking doctors, nurses etc etc. people beneficial to the Irish state. Instead we are stuck with a load of so called Asylum Seekers taking benefits from the state.
    The Nigerians in Ireland are just asylum seekers are they??? Because thats how you make it seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Every Nigerian I've met in Galway is either in university, or a graduate from Nigeria driving a taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 graham41

my only experience was with 2 nigerian women i said hi to one day became familiar they quickly(few wks later) asked for a loan of 200EACH cos their asylum claims had failed, they had to leave the country to England in the boot of a car & come back here under a new identity! they did so now are settled here!! stupid paddies alrite, when i asked for money back told to F Off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

One of my classmates is from Nigeria and he's a great guy!
    And i did come across a couple of hooligan type african guys (not sure if they were from Nigeria) who were the ones you'ld wanna stay away from if you wanted to walk away safely with all your belongings!

But the ones in my college who're from Nigeria are all really nice people. Also the Nigerian taxi drivers i've met were pretty cool.
    So i really don't see why people would be negative about Nigerian people.

Also as the person before mentioned. Immigration is fairly new to this country. Most Irish people aren't used to seeing people Non-Irish people around much, especially outside of Dublin, and so many who hold prejudices have little opinion of their own. Its mostly what they've herd from the news papers and such and we all know predominantly only negative stories go around!

Dey tuk er jerbs!! eh?

Also you believe the Americans were fair when they only accepted "qualified" Irish people?

I do believe its wrong for the Asylum seekers coming up with loads of crap to get a way into the country. But there's always ways to make things better than blaming others for all the problems. Its because of the asylum seekers and the immigrants! They're taking away all our jobs! all our money! all our land! and all our ladies!!
    Its always the rhetoric of lazy people who can't get off their asses to do something productive for themselves and the state.
    The government should get tougher on asylum seekers doing more thorough enquiry about their state to make sure they aren't making **** up to get into the country. Making it tougher and unfair for all the other who wanna get into the country legally and properly.
    Then well, the current economic status, jobs and benefits is a totally different story where again only the Irish are to blame!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The big problem in Nigeria from what I have read in reports on the country and heard from other Nigerians is crime, corruption and ethnic and religious clashes. It seems to be rampant in society there, which is a shame as the country has great potential with the people and resources that it has. I would be interested to hear from a Nigerian persons perspective if is there any change or even an appetite for change in the country to sort out the problems that exist? What is general public opinion on the direction in which the country is going?

I know there was a new consitution introduced in 1999 which has guaranteed general human rights and from the outside gives the appearance of a democratic federal republic, but in practice corruption by government officials and security forces remains a big problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭alegrabaroque

This is only from my own perspective what I`ve seen with both eyes -
    I have seen them abuse their children in so many incidence that its impossible to ignore or dismiss as being anything other than part of their culture. This really obviously bothers me and theres nothing I can do about it. Have heard from someone who works specifically with nigerian asylum seekers and the same complaint. Along with they lie about absolutely everything to the smallest minute detail. Makes it very difficult to deal with them and this person is trying to help them. Also they scream racism for everything, thats my experience from working in a few jobs. I`m half african certainly not racist!
    Saying that I`m a mature student and if you are in the library at ten o`clock just before closing you`ll find all the nigerian students there, they work incredibly hard.
    I believe we were lucky enough to be born in Ireland which for the most part is a good place to live. I do not begrudge anybody the opportunity to make a good life for themselves and their families. As far as I know we didn`t allow them to work while claiming asylum so we sort of backed ourselves in to a corner didn`t we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

It all comes down to experiences, really. If you have bad experiences/encounters with a particular group of people (or race of people) than it's very difficult to have a positive opinion about them.

Now, I think for anyone to claim that all Nigerians in Ireland are bad people (lol) is ridiculous. And I'm sure there are many hard working, nice Nigerians here. But, I am sorry to say, that I have not had one single pleasant encounter with a Nigerian, which really sucks. Perhaps it is because I live in an area with few Nigerians, and that I don't know personally any of them but the limited encounters I have had with them have been pretty bad.

Now I'm not going to mention the credit card scammers, bogus assylum applications and welfare fraud because they've already been mentioned. I'm basing my opinion on, yes, the 'facts' about many Nigerians in relation to the above, but mostly my personal experiences with them.

As has been stated before, the reason for this prejudice in Ireland is that many Nigerians seem to be extremely rude; I had one particular Taxi driver who refused to give me my change. The cost of the journey was 31 euro or something. I gave two 20s and the man wouldn't give me my change. Now I'd usually tip Taxi drivers but I've stopped this recently because of the hike in expenses. This guys English was very poor (or so he made out) and I wasn't bothered arguing with him so I left it. I know you're going to say 'thats just being scabby' but, regardless, it's my money and he doesn't have the right to tip himself.

I usually shop in Lidls with the occasional trip to Aldis and, I'm not sure if this is just me, but whenever there are Nigerian families shopping in Aldis, I've found them to be very rude. On several occasions I saw Nigerian kids running wild, literally picking things of the shelves and throwing them around the place. Now this doesn't really make a point, because plenty of Irish scumbags do that :rolleyes: but on more than one occasion a Nigerian mother has actually been threatening and intimidating towards me to try and skip me in the Q - that's right; just to skip me in the bleedin Q!

The next issue is quite sensitive and I probably shouldn't be posting this but NOTE I am not saying that no Irish person, or any other nationality wouldn't do this. But I was assalted pretty visciously by a group of Nigerian males in town one night - ended up spending the whole of the night in the police station (even though I didn't want to press charges, but the police made me give a statement).

I could go on about other cases but I realise this post is getting pretty long. Really, I think one of the main issues with Nigerians in Ireland, is that they don't integrate well with the nationals. I mean, if you take Polish, Slovakian etc. immigrants, I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with them. Most of them are working amongst nationals, even marrying into Irish families and settling down over here, wheras I don't know any Irish friends with a Nigerian boyfriend/girlfriend.

I would love Ireland to become more ethnically diverse and definitely more accepting of other races. But it's difficult when many Nigerians here are uneducated, unemployed and refuse to integrate with the nationals. I have found that eastern Europeans seem to make much more of an effort than Nigerians, even just with learning the language, but again that is just my limited personal experience.

I hope I haven't offended anyone here - trust me I'm not a racist!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

Also as the person before mentioned. Immigration is fairly new to this country. Most Irish people aren't used to seeing people Non-Irish people around much, especially outside of Dublin, and so many who hold prejudices have little opinion of their own. !

Sorry thats a load of bollox excuse the english. Immigration has been going on now in ireland for at least 15 years straight since the early 90's. I love the 'immigration is new and irish are just getting used to seeing different coloured people and accents walking around, sure twas only yesterday we were around sodding the turf in da fields...we are little pixies share we are'

Prejudice especially rascism, sexisim, religious bigotry etc come from one feeling bad about themselves, feeling a percieved loss of something in their lives and then using it as an excuse to hate another group of people. Most racists come up with the 'we are losing our white genes, culture to hoardes of invading immigrants its time to stand up etc excuses. What they don't realise is there's no common interest. When it comes down to it its really every man for himself to a certain extent.

I think you'll find most of these people that act this way or hold these firm beliefs have had some significant failure in their own lives or have been bullied in some way themselves and resort to this tactic to get some sort of granduer and the feeling of being wanted to a group of people when they themselves were rejected for some reason or another. Most successful people in life you'll notice don't have racist, sexist or religious bigotry beliefs because they don't feel aggrieved by anything. They have been successful. There is no reason for them to hate. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Also you believe the Americans were fair when they only accepted "qualified" Irish people?

Well considering that such a large number of the Asylum seekers are really just economic migrants or whatever the term used was, would it not be clever to cherry pick the best of the applicants? For two reasons.

a) if a person is qualified they will be able to contribute to somewhere needed, possible health etc etc
    b) There is a higher possibility that highly qualified people will be movitaved to work and will not sit on the dole like many currently do.

The people who show that they have an ability to contribute should be given access. We have enough people coming here just for the ridiculously generous dole.

The solution to the dole issue is simply to tell people who are contributing nothing and are not irish citizens that they have 6 months of paid dole then to leave. I think thats fair enough. That gives them enough time to pack up their stuff and arrange whatever they need to in their home countries. Theres no reason to remain in this country if they are not citizens.

Just on a side note i love the closet racists that come on the boards and claim....i don't think nigerians are all bad but look at these statistics:

Nigerians are most likely to commit fraud etc etc. Look buddy its ok just say you don't like african people. Its ok its better to admit it straight out then pretend your not. I think black and nigerian african people already know most white people have a dislike for them due to colour, culture etc. The years of plundering their continent, lynchings, hangings and mass murders would tend to make them a little weary of white folk you know. Look just come out and say what your really thinking and wanting to say. Don't hide behind made up stories, statistics and racial generalisations. Say i hate black people they are smelly and i never want one of my daughters or sons intermingling with them. There not too much effort was it? Sure im sure some of you do it all the time over on the stormfront forum. Its ok im sure they won't take offence.

I too have met nigerians and never had one negative experience with them. They are for me very polite and sincere people. I have had bad experiences with many polish people and many good ones too but i don't consider polish people to be bad people and we can all find stats to back up our closet racist views including making up stories which no doubt some of the above posts contain instances of. Often you find they immeadiately claim...'Im not racist and not all nigerians are bad but..' then they go on to list their various overwhelming negative encounters with the aforementioned people focusing on typical racist things like 'the bad language', 'the loudness of the person', 'the ignorant manner', 'wouldn't pay the money', 'was begging for money'... 'just not civillised'. You know facts you use to degrade a person and make them seem like subhumans. The best ones are the ones that list meticulously the list of negative things about a race or nationality of people then claim ' this does not imply that all nigerians do this but here look most of them are inclined to do this' the I am in no way a racist but here look what these savages do. LOL.

Heres a stat for you.

90 per cent of closet racists are likely to come with statistics to claim they are not racist but then back it up with racial generalisations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I've never had a bad experence with them, about 3 years ago i was working as a panel beater at the time i was putting a front of a car together for a customer who was nigerian, nice chap every time i'd see him always polite and would shake your hand and generally he was a gent.

Now i'm a taxi driver, i've never had a problem with them, even on one occasion i was stopped at Parliment St a nigerian taxi driver got out of his taxi to tell me i had a brake light out.

You could change that title to ''Are all Irish really raving alco's?''

You'd find out we're not all raving alco's just the same way all nigerians arent all bad. :)

@realismpol: That racism you're talking about is the more openly blatant racism. Like the knackers going around calling people "paki" and telling them to "go home!".
    I'm speaking about more of a general prejudice towards people of certain races. Everyone stereotypes to a certain degree. Guess its just a part of being human. My point was that till about 15-20 years ago you wouldn't see any african people in Ireland outside of Dublin. There have been people (especially in the countryside) who've grown up their whole lives around people like them and have never come into contact with a non-Irish person until very recently and so i guess they find it kinda odd to see "all these immigrants coming to over and spoiling our pretty serene country".

Also totally agree on your 2nd comment about the ones who say "i'm totally not racist" being big racists in denial!
    And on the contrary i've found the lest racist people are the ones who don't really hesitate in making occasional racist jokes. My best friend is like that, he's from New York and being a good american, he doesn't let a single opportunity pass by where he can make a racist comment/joke. But he's the only guy in my whole college who goes around and speaks to all the people in my college, the chinese, malaysians, nigerians, arabs, all of em, hangs around with them and he's the least racist person i know!
    Whereas on the flipside all the Irish who claim to be "not racist at all!" don't speak to anyone outside their little group(s) of Irish friends. So much for not being a racist!

@JonathanAnon: I think asylum should be given to people on the basis of who needs it the most than who is most qualified to contribute to the state.

And about the dole.
    I'm a big critic of the dole. Basically i say it shouldn't exist in the first place. The government could rather spend the money doing something more productive like educating the people or creating jobs.
    It just end up creating people who're getting increasingly lazy as to why work when you can leech off the state in social welfare benefits.
    And in this particular case, creates a haven for asylum seekers.

Simple solution. No dole = Government has more money to spend on better things + people forced to get off their arses and work! + asylums either find a job to support themselves or find another place to go.

Problem solved!! Like Ron Paul says, you can't improve the state through socialism!

@realismpol: That racism you're talking about is the more openly blatant racism. Like the knackers going around calling people "paki" and telling them to "go home!".
    I'm speaking about more of a general prejudice towards people of certain races. Everyone stereotypes to a certain degree. Guess its just a part of being human. My point was that till about 15-20 years ago you wouldn't see any african people in Ireland outside of Dublin. There have been people (especially in the countryside) who've grown up their whole lives around people like them and have never come into contact with a non-Irish person until very recently and so i guess they find it kinda odd to see "all these immigrants coming to over and spoiling our pretty serene country".

@JonathanAnon: I think asylum should be given to people on the basis of who needs it the most than who is most qualified to contribute to the state.

And about the dole.
    I'm a big critic of the dole. Basically i say it shouldn't exist in the first place. The government could rather spend the money doing something more productive like educating the people or creating jobs.
    It just end up creating people who're getting increasingly lazy as to why work when you can leech off the state in social welfare benefits.
    And in this particular case, creates a haven for asylum seekers.

Simple solution. No dole = Government has more money to spend on better things + people forced to get off their arses and work! + asylums either find a job to support themselves or find another place to go.

Problem solved!! Like Ron Paul says, you can't improve the state through socialism!

I wouldn't refer to a group of people as 'knackers' that in itself is a derogatory term. I think you mean scumbags to which all members of all races on earth are part of. Besides its not like scumbags know much about geography to be telling people where to go home to.
    Its true sterotyping is carried out by humans but normally the people that do it are uneducated, untravelled and ignorant and largely misguided. FFS what would these people do if we found life in outer space these people can't even accept members of the human race.

Yes there are people who grew up their whole lives without seeing people of a different nationality. FFS yes they only saw mister t on the a team and the child on the trocaire box like i said ' share all we did was pick turf an sod it, the only 'blackie' i ever seen was the guy from glenroe' . Jesus you make irish people seem like backward cavepeople who are frightened of when they first seen fire. What did they get a shock when they saw a black dog, a person wearing a black top, the night when it came, or was it just limited soley to black on a persons face? People in the country aren't as backward as you think. Yes you get thick ignorant people but you get that in every race.

In other words its ok to see them just keep them far away from me. Did you know people back in the 1600's used to think the earth was flat too? Amazing isn't it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

graham41 wrote: »
    when i asked for money back told to F Off:rolleyes:
    You gave them the money to carry out an illegal act and you expected it back?
    [insert Nelson laugh here] Ireland is still rearing them. :rolleyes:

realismpol wrote: »
    Its true sterotyping is carried out by humans but normally the people that do it are uneducated, untravelled and ignorant and largely misguided. FFS what would these people do if we found life in outer space these people can't even accept members of the human race.

Haha, that reminds me of another of Bill Hicks joke, lemme find it for ya...

And i do agree with what you say.
    But it hasn't been too long ago since racism was all accepted and practiced quite openly. Hence why a lot of racist traits can still be found among people today. Sure there are people who're ignorant, misguided and all but there are still many well educated people who believe they're superior and pick on the negative aspects of people from other races and nationalities. One thing i have noticed is that most people who have been bought up in narrow minded families do end up being narrow minded themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

419 scammers are local celebrities back in Nigeria.

These are two videos on what the scammers think of the mugu (stupid white trick)

ABC News on 419

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

realismpol wrote: »
    Often you find they immeadiately claim...'Im not racist and not all nigerians are bad but..' then they go on to list their various overwhelming negative encounters with the aforementioned people focusing on typical racist things like 'the bad language', 'the loudness of the person', 'the ignorant manner', 'wouldn't pay the money', 'was begging for money'... 'just not civillised'. You know facts you use to degrade a person and make them seem like subhumans. The best ones are the ones that list meticulously the list of negative things about a race or nationality of people then claim ' this does not imply that all nigerians do this but here look most of them are inclined to do this' the I am in no way a racist but here look what these savages do. LOL.

Heres a stat for you.

90 per cent of closet racists are likely to come with statistics to claim they are not racist but then back it up with racial generalisations.

You're racist towards 'closet racists' (as you call them) :rolleyes:

This thread is about Nigerians in Ireland, not a Nigerian in Ireland, but Nigerians - plural. There has to be some generalisations made. Personally, when I make generalisations I look at the facts and then make a general conclusion. Obviously, this conclusion doesn't apply to everyone because it's general.

If this thread was about the Irish immigrants in America you could make a generalisation that most of them were poor,lived in slums and took unskilled jobs. This wasn't true for all of the Irish immigrants but it was for many.

The trouble today is you can't say that you prefer white tshirts to black ones without being branded a racist. The word 'racist' has no meaning whatsoever today because people place anyone who discusses topics like this in a fair manner in the same group as ignorant racists.

But what would I know, I'm just a 'closet racist'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Magnus wrote: »

These are two videos on what the scammers think of the mugu (stupid white trick)

ABC News on 419

Hi Magnus,while I agree that the music was uncalled for and would annoy the sensibilities of a lot of white people ( becaue it is essentially directed at them) but the word mugu does not mean stupid white trick at all.That word could refer to anyone irrespective of their race or colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Magnus wrote: »

Mugu is a fool. Anybody who falls for such scams is indeed a greedy fool. Scammers can't tell the colour of somebodys hide from an e-mail addy so why drag 'whiteness' into the mix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

We also have a situation where a few Nigerian asylum seekers are turned into virtual celebrities by the media and by their support groups, as has been the case with Pamela Izevbekhai. If these are the Nigerian people that Irish people are most likely to hear about, I'm not surprised that it would impact the view that some would have of Niigerians as a people, even if it is unfair to generalise. I think that it makes matters worse if the high-profile cases are found to be faulty in some way, ie. the false documentation in the Izevbekhai case, since nobody likes feeling like they've been duped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement