Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Photo Post..(C&C)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Thats very well taken, I like it.

Colours are great and the composition is good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I really like it. If you were going to start fiddling with it you could oomph the reds a little, and maybe lose a bit of the right hand side, but I like it the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Wow, good start! Nice composition, interesting subject and good control of exposure. Well done.

Where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Hi, A lurker steps forward with first picture post.
    Complete newbie...so :confused:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/3049219033_2f8e4384c2_b.jpg

Really good atmospheric shot. There's something small and white way in the background to the right, slightly distracting, maybe a bit of photoshop could sort it out. I don't know anything about photography really, but I can tell you have a good eye... the way the brown rust matches the brown earth, as if the truck is becoming part of the soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Love it. Great shot. Very 'no country for old men'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Very good, was it taken in the states or Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I've inserted the picture in this post, I think you were trying to do it yourself

3049219033_2f8e4384c2_b.jpg

If you hit the quote button you'll see how I did it.

I have to say I like this, lovely tones, if I had to pick something to criticise it would be the placement of the truck in the image, I'd like to see another one with it on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Welcome to the forum and quite a nice image to start with.
    I think a little curves/levels in photoshop/lightroom could do you a lot more justice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Great shot, but... with a bit of post processing it could be so much better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Good shot! Wat camera, lens, zoom, Arpeture wer u usin?? Would make a nice print. Personally id change it to b&w and see if it would make a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Looks like the Austrailian outback...Interested to know where it was taken myself,
    Really great shot Lagnagoushee.

177899mf5tub44wr.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

The sky is fantastic in it. Great pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Great shot. What camera and lens did u use? If i was to guess, i would guess at a really expensive lens and camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

That is one classy shot. I'd be tempted to edit it a bit to make the van "pop" as my life drawing teacher says, but really it's an amazing shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Nice crisp shot there, you can almost smell the rust and earth. I'd personally bump up the saturation a bit more to bring out the reds, but then my screen is not calibrated.

+1 what nilhg said on the composition. Generally speaking if a person or object with a face or 'front' is facing left or right, leave most space in front of the face so it's not rudely interrupted by the frame, it's a personal space kind of psychology, you want to see that there's nothing too close to the face even though it's inanimate.

That said, rules are there to be broken and everyone has their own tastes.
    Well done, and if that's GM's new concept vehicle they're gonna need a bigger bailout :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

3053829961_ce1688e00a.jpg?v=0

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

3049219033_2f8e4384c2_b.jpg

30492190332f8e4384c2bmk9.jpg

I don't like doing this sort of thing but, I really wanted to see how it would turn out.. little bit of curves and saturation goes along way imo. OP's original image is perfect besides the kind of grayness in it. Looked really flat. Other wise as others have said the composition & exposure are spot on. :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I think this would be a brilliant shot from the same plave as a long expousre on a brightish night......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

import into lightroom with 300 preset :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Very nice composition.
    The truck really jumps out of the shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Cool shot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

jpfahy wrote: »

lol

I love the PP you did on this, care to share your secret?

Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Thanks for all the comments, advice and helpful info given ........ reckon that I need to learn a lot more. My first post and no one took a bite out of me...... you know what that means....I will post again :D.
    The photo was taken about a month ago on the Great Eastern Highway near Menzies, Western Australia.
    Exp 1/160s @ f10, ISO 200, Canon 5D, 16-35mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

jpfahy wrote: »

lol
    Now that's the ticket!
    It's exactly how the world looks to me since I hacked up a new pair of shades out of two cpl filters :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I love the PP you did on this, care to share your secret?

Tnx

Aperture on the Mac:
    Cloned the headlight
    Dodge and Burn; burned down the sky, lightened the headlights
    Highlights and Shadows; down and up slightly
    Saturation: slight increase
    Colors; picked up a red sample from the mudguard and increased it
    Pity I hadn't the original image in Raw, could have done a lot more

Advertisement