Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-11-2008, 05:21   #1
noel69

Mobile Catering Buisness

Hello all, thinking of setting up a small mobile catering buisness, to cater at football matches and other events, offering people a healthier alternative to regular chip van food at these events with hot sandwiches and other small items.

Have a few questions on this if anyone can help me out,
I know i require an annual licence from the local council, does this licence allow me to trade all over ireland. And is this licence easy to get.
Do i also need another licence to trade in northern ireland.
Do i require additional liceneces to attend events eg, gaa matches, outside concerts etc.
Is it possible to set up beside a footpath randomly in dublin on a general weekday catering to passers buy. (either a small cart or a larger van)
Do i require some type of insurance to sell food to the public.
Is there a way of advertising this type of buisness while at an event or is it a case of show up and hope for the best.

Any help would be hugely appreciated,
Advertisement
15-11-2008, 07:00   #2
Bandara

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel69 View Post
Hello all, thinking of setting up a small mobile catering buisness, to cater at football matches and other events, offering people a healthier alternative to regular chip van food at these events with hot sandwiches and other small items.

I know i require an annual licence from the local council, does this licence allow me to trade all over ireland. And is this licence easy to get.
Do i require additional liceneces to attend events eg, gaa matches, outside concerts etc.
Is it possible to set up beside a footpath randomly in dublin on a general weekday catering to passers buy. (either a small cart or a larger van)
Is there a way of advertising this type of buisness while at an event or is it a case of show up and hope for the best.

Any help would be hugely appreciated,
Hi Noel

If your buying a van like this I know of one being sold very cheaply. Handles Hot & Cold food and Tea / Coffee. Its about 2 years old I think.

PM me if you want too.

(van isn't mine - I just know of one available)
15-11-2008, 19:19   #3
elgransenor

Go onto irishstatutebook.ie and do a search for the casual trading act-it will tell you the story.
If a local authority issues a licence to you,clearly they are only issuing for their area so look at the law and see is there a procedure for a wide ranging casual traders licence.
15-11-2008, 22:46   #4
MB74

Not sure

I would expect so, seperate legislation and governance

Not sure

Not sure

Your licence may require you provide proof if insurance, if it doesn't then the simple answer is no your don't require it in Ireland (NI may be different), but definitely a good idea to get it, not necessarily expensive to buy either.

Maybe study what's happening at an event and decide fo yourself.

Best of luck.
18-11-2008, 10:11   #5
noel69

Mobile catering

If your buying a van like this I know of one being sold very cheaply. Handles Hot & Cold food and Tea / Coffee. Its about 2 years old I think.

Cheers, will look into buying a van after Christmas, wont be starting up til then, might get back to ye then if it is still about.

Go onto irishstatutebook.ie and do a search for the casual trading act-it will tell you the story.
If a local authority issues a licence to you,clearly they are only issuing for their area so look at the law and see is there a procedure for a wide ranging casual traders licence.

Ok had a look at that, fairly helpful cheers, will have to get talking to the local authority to suss the licence end of things out.

I would expect so, seperate legislation and governance

I would think your right on that one

Anyway a few things i wouldnt mind knowing

Are the licences easy to get
Advertisement
18-11-2008, 10:22   #6
Heisenberg.

Mod: Music
Quote:
Originally Posted by noel69 View Post
Are the licences easy to get
Yeah i'd be almost certain you need a licence/Certificate from the Health & Safety Authority before you start trading.
Doubt you need a 'licence' from Event Promoters, just an agreement with them.

Profitable idea i think.
Have a look at Great Stuff Catering online, you'd know the vans if you saw them. They seem to secure the contracts for every major Sporting, music, cultural event in the Country.
There's massive mark up on the price of a burger at an event as well.
25-08-2013, 00:16   #7
prince 45

thinking of geting a bugger van what do i need and where can i put it
aney helpers pleese
30-08-2013, 11:36   #8
quinnie123ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince 45 View Post
thinking of geting a bugger van what do i need and where can i put it
aney helpers pleese
LMAO, what will you be getting up to in this van?
31-08-2013, 15:07   #9
YellowSheep

Don't Drink and Post!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion