If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Receivers

Options
  • 03-07-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭

I was hoping you guys could help me in choosing a new AV receiver.

First of all, my existing shtuff:

Epson TW700 Projector (1 HDMI input, 720P)
    Mac Mini (used a media center/web browsing - optical out, DVI/VGA out)
    PS3 (used for blu-ray movies and games - optical out, HDMI out)
    Xbox 360 (used for games - HD component out)
    Wii (used for games - component out)

I'm looking at receivers in and around the specs and price point of the Onkyo 606. How suitable is this for my needs? I'm attracted to it because of the 3 HDMI ports, as well as the ability to handle audio over HDMI. I have heard of reliability problems and overheating, is this a common complaint?

Do you recommend other models at a similar price point? In online reviews, the Pioneer 1018 has been well received, but you guys dont seem to have it in stock yet. Will you be getting it in? How about Devon, Yamaha and Sony?

I'm currently in Japan at the moment, but I'll be coming back to Ireland and hopefully popping into the Belfast store next month. As well as an AV receiver, a set of decent speakers are on my list, and possibly a projector screen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Tattoosnob

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with your choice of A/V amp, the 606 will be a perfect choice for the PS3, if you connect your PS3 to amp via HDMI you can avail of the HD audio capabilities of Blu-ray disks. The Onkyo 875 is supposed to be a brilliant amp also, it has a very good video processor/scaler built in which would be a big bonus as the scaling in your projector would probably be poor enough with SD sources i.e the Wii
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Brayruit

I was also considering the onkyo606... The inputs would be Sky HD and a BluRay that I haven't bought yet (suggestions?), and maybe a 360 too. The output would be to a 46" samsung lcd and a BENQ w5000.

Should I go for the 875?

I also saw that there is a special device for connecting an iPod - tell me about it please. what do you think? do you stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Brayruit: consider the PS3 for a blu-ray player. It's got all the bells and whistles, support for the latest 2.0 Profile, HDMI & optical out and the firmware is upgradable, so you're future-proof.

As a bonus, it also plays DVDs/DIVX/Music/PSOne/PS3 games, and you can stick Linux on it. There's also a Freeview TV tuner being released in a few months, so it can act as a PVR too...

The price on the Onkyo 875 is tempting, but what are the key advantages over the 606? I see it has 4 HDMI ports, and can upscale to 1080p. Like I say, I'm not an audiophile, and my current PJ is 720p, but I would like to future-proof as much as possible, so is worth the extra bucks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Tattoosnob

NekkidBibleMan,
    I my opinion the main advantage of the 875 over the 606 is the video processing chipset.
    If you send anything that is not the native resolution of your projector i.e your Wii and SD TV etc, the projector will have to scale to it's native resolution and it probably won't do a great job of it. The 875 will scale everything to 720p (i think) and should give you far better picture quality. If you only use your projector for PS3 and other HD sources the 606 will be perfect and you could save a few quid.
    Don't forget about HD audio though, if you have the gear to do it i.e PS3 and 606/875!! you may as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I too was hell bent on getting the 606 which by all accounts is a great amp but in the end I decided to spend that bit extra and get the 875 which will upscale to 1080p. Its also more powerful on the audio side too. But I'm not putting the 606 down as it's gotten 5 stars from What HiFi. I bought the 875 amp and a set of monitor speakers from Richersounds yesterday (at a great price over what I'd have paid in Peats and the like) and they were delivered this morning free of charge. Can't recommend their service and prices enough.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Brayruit

Brayruit: consider the PS3 for a blu-ray player. It's got all the bells and whistles, support for the latest 2.0 Profile, HDMI & optical out and the firmware is upgradable, so you're future-proof.

Yeah - but only plays region 2 dvds and region B blurays... right?

Richersounds - any comment on the iPod accessory?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys Declared interest here John McDonald from Richer Sounds - as Prosperous Dave will tell you (he took advantage of the offer yesterday!) We have dropped the price on the 875 to £599.95 for Boards Members. see the full details here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055327349&highlight=richer+sounds&page=2 . The Ipod accys for ONkyo receivers (and all amps I guess) are the DSA1X at £39 and the DSA2X at £59 - they are both excellent docks - but the A1X does not come with a remote control (The Remote that comes with the Onkyo receiver controls the Ipod Dock) whilst the A2X comes complete with remote - so yuo can use it with other amps, as ever drop me a PM or an email to johnmc@richersounds.ie if we can be of any assistance, Thanks as ever, John McDonald

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Prosperous Dave.....could I just ask what speaker you decided to go with
    along with the onkyo amp?
    Thanks a mil.:)

rafared wrote: »
    Prosperous Dave.....could I just ask what speaker you decided to go with
    along with the onkyo amp?
    Thanks a mil.:)

I got the monitor audio package - 4 satellites (monitor audio 90's), one centre (monitor audio 180) and a sub (monitor audio 360). John Mc did me a deal on them (not full price ;):D:D) and I got the onkyo 875 to go with them. There was a small mix up with the speaker cable that I ordered but a phone call to Kenny in Richersounds in Belfast and he said he'd forward the correct one to me (hasn't arrived yet but no doubt it'll come soon).

I've also just ordered a samsung 46in lcd from them too at over €500 less than what you'd pay for it in powercity or DID.

Their interaction with Boards has generated over €2,700 in business from me alone so I hope they keep the offers coming.

Thanks for the info dave. Would be interested in what the whole system sounds like when your up and running. I have a 46inch samsung leA656 tv that d missus just bought for the living room :D:D:D so we have similar set ups. Its a great tv in every way but the sound is not the greatest. Im going to buy an Amp and speakers from Richer Sounds but id love to hear what it sounds like first just dont fancy a trip to belfast TBH.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Dave, I presume that's the series 6 Samsung? I'm looking at that one myself, plus the Onkyo 875 but am undecided about speakers. Are your speakers on the RicherSounds website?

rafared wrote: »
    Thanks for the info dave. Would be interested in what the whole system sounds like when your up and running. I have a 46inch samsung leA656 tv that d missus just bought for the living room :D:D:D so we have similar set ups. Its a great tv in every way but the sound is not the greatest. Im going to buy an Amp and speakers from Richer Sounds but id love to hear what it sounds like first just dont fancy a trip to belfast TBH.
    Thanks again.

Hi rafared (Liverpool fan by any chance????)

I agree that the sound from Samsungs aren't great - I've a 26in at the mo that has lousy internal speakers but I use it with my existing sony home theatre so its not a problem. I think samsungs have the best pictures though which is why I bought the 46in series 6. As for your missus buying it, hold onto that girl ;). Mine just rolls her eyes when I tell her about my proposed purchases. She's no interest whatsover in techy things but gets all excited about a new pair of shoes:rolleyes:

You don't have to go to Belfast to get the amp or speakers. Order it through John Mc - he'll do you a good deal and you get free delivery. Hopefully the new speaker wire will arrive today and I can get my own amp and speakers set up tonight.

BTW, I checked out reviews for my new amp and speakers prior to buying them and they all got great write ups so I'm not worried that I've made a mistake.

David

blastman wrote: »
    Dave, I presume that's the series 6 Samsung? I'm looking at that one myself, plus the Onkyo 875 but am undecided about speakers. Are your speakers on the RicherSounds website?

Hi Blastman,

Yup its the series 6, 46in lcd. I got it for €1,380 approx - its €2,000 in powercity and DID.

I got the monitor audio speakers (4 satellites (90), 1 centre (180), and the sub (360)) in piano black to go with my new amp and tv - they were recommended by John Mc and I didn't pay full price ;):D. They sent me the wrong speaker wire but they've promised to send on the replacement so I'm counting the minutes until it arrives so I can put my blu rays on full blast.

Wow dave thats a good deal on the 46" samsung. My missus bought locally from DID and got a fairly good deal herself but nothing to touch that price. Shes into her av gear so im lucky i suppose:D. She wouldnt entertain buying online but got the telly with a big glass stand and that little samsung dvd upscaler with a 5 year warrantee for 2080E. Its her cash so who am I to argue:rolleyes:. As regards the amp and speakers well thats a different story. Im going to buy from Richersounds for sure....an Onkyo 875 or 606 possibly but its the speakers im unsure about. Herself doesnt mind as long as they are black and look good in the living room:rolleyes::rolleyes:. I have about 1700E to spend all in including cables and a couple of 1metre Hdmi cables. Im going to email John and ask what he'd recommend i think.
    As regards being a liverpool fan you hit the nail right on the head there:).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks Dave, I'm unsure whether I want to go the whole hog with surround at the moment or just go for a good set of floorstanders and sticking to stereo for now. Might have a further think about it.

Good price on the Samsung, I had reckoned on it being just over 1500 Euro from Richer, so that's even better again.

Prosperous Dave......
    I would love to hear how your new toys sound now you are up and running:D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.