Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-02-2008, 18:46   #1
Cmar-Ireland

What oil boiler/burner to buy?

The g/f and myself recently bought our first house and are getting everything ready in it. I went up to it this afternoon to do some work and discovered that some scum had stolen our oil burner . They took the one in the house next door too.
It was one of the outdoor ones. The whole thing was lifted.
Anyhow, now that I'll be getting a replacement, what is the best/most efficient one to go for?
The house is a 3 bed semi with attic conversion. Approx 1500sq/ft with 11 rads around the house.

Any suggestions

Thanks
Advertisement
02-02-2008, 19:10   #2
JamesM

That's bad
If you do mean everything gone, then a Grant or Firebird 50/70 or 50/90 should be fine. If it's completely outside, both do cabin-packs. If it's just the burner that's gone, I find Riello the best.
Jim.
02-02-2008, 19:11   #3
Lex Luthor

Firebird have units I think called heatpacs (slimline models)

what is this world coming to?

will your insurance cover it?
02-02-2008, 19:37   #4
Cmar-Ireland

Yeah, the whole thing was lifted. It was in a metal enclosure. TBH I don't even know the make, but it was the burner and boiler in the enclosure. Nothing left there now except wires and pipes sticking out of the concrete base.
02-02-2008, 20:30   #5
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmar-Ireland View Post
Yeah, the whole thing was lifted. It was in a metal enclosure. TBH I don't even know the make, but it was the burner and boiler in the enclosure. Nothing left there now except wires and pipes sticking out of the concrete base.
did any of the oil leak out of the tank?
Advertisement
02-02-2008, 20:42   #6
Cmar-Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
did any of the oil leak out of the tank?
Luckly, no. None leaked.
Pity the fúckers didn't get electrocuted with they cut the power cables
02-02-2008, 23:03   #7
JamesM

Jeeeez - Cabin-pacs are a great idea - but that would make you go back to the traditional boiler house
They are heavy -to take 2, they had to have a truck or big van of some kind.
Jim.

Last edited by JamesM; 02-02-2008 at 23:05.
03-02-2008, 13:36   #8
demanufactured

Send a message via Yahoo to demanufactured
your house insurance should cover that.
04-02-2008, 09:42   #9
Cmar-Ireland

Got some prices for a Grant 70-90 cabinpac. €800 for a regular and €1200 for a condensing boiler. For the extra efficiency, is it worth going for the condensing model?

Thanks
Advertisement
26-02-2008, 17:01   #10
eddie73

Hello. Grant oil burners are very good indeed, but because they are so light and portable, they have become a target for theft.

you should consider getting a stanley stove in your living room or kitchen. you will get about 7kw of heat off them and when the fire goes out, the heat will remain for hours. You can get one that heats rads and a hot tank, that can burn wood pellets, solid fuel or gas.

I got my stanley disconnected in the kitchen for a grant on the outside of the house, the stanley range burned oil, was noisy and smelled of fumes, but the heat is badly missed in the house. Also I have the prospect of getting the grant boiler stolen hanging over me.
28-02-2008, 10:57   #11
ednwireland

Mod: Cycling
got a grants multipass a couple of years ago didnt go with the condensing as the return temps on a standard radiator setup isnt really low enough for the condenser to work
great boiler very efficient compared to the 20 year old thing i had before anyway
28-02-2008, 12:10   #12
Cmar-Ireland

Just to update our situation. The insurance did indeed cover the loss, so the funds are safely lodged in my account.
Now I am wondering if I should put a bit of extra cash towards the 90-120 outdoor condensing boiler, or will the 50-90 be enough?
Our house is a 3 bed semi, with 12 rads. But the garage is plumbed for a rad, so it will probably be fitting one there too.

Which would be better for me?
28-02-2008, 19:39   #13
JamesM

My boiler is a 50/70 in a 3 bed semi, and that is plenty for me. I would be confident that a 90 would be fine.
Jim.
29-02-2008, 17:02   #14
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednwireland View Post
got a grants multipass a couple of years ago didnt go with the condensing as the return temps on a standard radiator setup isnt really low enough for the condenser to work
great boiler very efficient compared to the 20 year old thing i had before anyway
Thinking of replacing my boiler. Grateful to know why a condenser does not work properly with a standard radiator setup? Also the significance of the numeric descriptions "50/70" "90/120" etc

Last edited by Aeneas; 29-02-2008 at 17:04.
29-02-2008, 17:28   #15
ircoha
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to ircoha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Thinking of replacing my boiler. Grateful to know why a condenser does not work properly with a standard radiator setup? Also the significance of the numeric descriptions "50/70" "90/120" etc
AFAIK1 The theory with condensing boilers is that the return temp needs to be 45 degrees C or less for the boiler to actually condense and be that extra bit more efficient.

Therefore the theory goes on to suggest that a system that was designed on maybe a return temp of 60 C will have rads sized for this: hotter water => smaller rads, so lower temp from CB will, in theory not be warm enough.

AFAIK2: 50/70 etc refers to the btu range of the different boilers with oil burners u can change the nozzle size to go from 90 to 120

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion