Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Starter Guitar for Adult.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The particular models may be fine but buying them from Argos would be a mistake. The major benefit of buying from an actual music shop is customer service and with instruments this is absolutely essential. The nightmare of being a novice queuing in Argos for an hour at Customer Service trying to explain a poor set-up or a warped neck on the guitar makes it unusable to be met by a vacant stare and a refusal to engage with your problem sends a cold chill down my spine.

Go into Musician Inc in Drury Street or Waltons in either North Frederick Street or South Great Georges Street (or online, www.waltons.ie. SX, Epiphone or Lag are good reasonable brands) and be assured of dealing with people who can guide you in your choice and be consulted if a problem arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The particular models may be fine but buying them from Argos would be a mistake. The major benefit of buying from an actual music shop is customer service and with instruments this is absolutely essential. The nightmare of being a novice queuing in Argos for an hour at Customer Service trying to explain a poor set-up or a warped neck on the guitar makes it unusable to be met by a vacant stare and a refusal to engage with your problem sends a cold chill down my spine.

Go into Musician Inc in Drury Street or Waltons in either North Frederick Street or South Great Georges Street (or online, www.waltons.ie. SX, Epiphone or Lag are good reasonable brands) and be assured of dealing with people who can guide you in your choice and be consulted if a problem arises.

Thanks for the advice mate. So essentially the guitars are fine, if something goes wrong I'm screwed with argos, although they do have a 14 day money back guarantee, I have a few musician friends, If I get them to have a look at the guitar if I go ahead and get one, they could tell me if it was wraped, etc or can this just happen over time with use.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

If you buy in Argos you'll pay for it then you get to inspect it. They won't be able to do anything with it themselves. I've seen some monstrosities being sold out of there for that reason. Anything other than buying from an instrument shop is risking hair-pulling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

i agree with thomas, however!, i got my first guitar from argos, its not a great guitar but as a beginner i didnt know that, anyways 6 years on and im still playing and still have the argos guitar here, not a bother on it!

but yeah your better offbuying from a music shop, "sound gear" in portobello has some nice cheap acoustics!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Are you buying for an adult or a child? Only reason I ask is because the middle link is for a 3/4 sized guitar which, though fine for an adult beginner might be a better choice out of the three for a child as it'd be easier for them to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

pug_ wrote: »
    Are you buying for an adult or a child? Only reason I ask is because the middle link is for a 3/4 sized guitar which, though fine for an adult beginner might be a better choice out of the three for a child as it'd be easier for them to handle.

Adult - Who prob will never use the thing, but just in case they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

links don't work...what make guitar is it?

Advertisement