Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aware of BHAA race

Options
  • 10-12-2007 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Are there 2 races this weekend in the park?

the aware 10k run on sat at 10am?
    the bhaa xmas run on sunday 10am?

can one enter either on the day as half thinkin of doing one of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

The bhaa one is on in Marlay park and you can enter on the day. Got an email from the BHAA this morning with the following information.

DataSolutions BHAA 10km road race will be held in Marlay Park, Ballinteer at 10.00. This incorporates the Circle of Life fun run to support Barnardo's and Friends of the Elderly. Registration (from 09.00) will be at Ballinteer St. John's G.A.A. club on Grange Road, Ballinteer - just outside the wall of the park. Refreshments afterwards in Marlay House. This promises to be a traffic-free, safe road race - two laps of within the park.

I don't know too much about the aware one except that it is on in the phoenix park on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

If anyone knows anything about the aware race (map,where to collect number etc?) please reply as i have applied but know nothing about it. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

I sent them an email ang got this reply (should be on website)

Thank you for registering to take part in the Aware Christmas Fun Run.
    You will be getting an information pack in the post in the next day or two outlining relevant information for the day.
    The information will include: map of the race (start and finish line on the Acres Road), collection of race number and chip on the day (at the papal cross carpark) and sponsorship cards.
    If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    We look forward to seeing you on the 15th.
    Regards
    Carmel Jackman
    Fundraising Officer
    Aware
    72 Lower Leeson Street
    Dublin 2

Contact No: 01-2374909
    www.aware.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I think this is the route.

Just wondering what people would advise eating in the morning as I don't want to get a stitch. I was thinking of a packet of skittles :)

We collect our numbers and stuff in the Donore Harriers club house before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

fletch wrote: »
    I think this is the route.

Just wondering what people would advise eating in the morning as I don't want to get a stitch. I was thinking of a packet of skittles :)

Also based on fletch's route:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1493476 with km markers.

• Advertisement

Also based on fletch's route:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1493476 with km markers.
    What's the graph at the bottom of your map?

It's supposed to be an elevation graph, most of the time they are acurate but it seems to be arseways here, i'll go over it again from scratch.

It's good for the first time you run a course to anticipate the hills and dips.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

What's the graph at the bottom of your map?

Elevation - course is a bit up and down.

It's supposed to be an elevation graph, most of the time they are acurate but it seems to be arseways here, i'll go over it again from scratch.

It's good for the first time you run a course to anticipate the hills and dips.
    I thought that's what it was alright. Looks fairly inaccurate alright. Is it something you manually create or did you use some kind of equipment to create it?

The gmaps pedometer reads the elevation points at certain co-ordinates.
    It's pretty inacurate in the pheonix park but for most of the marathon course for instance it was ok.

This course is uphill for 1st 1m 1/2.
    Then downhill until 4 1/2 and the uphill to 5 1/2.
    Downhill to finish for the last km or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

Rovers_Runner describes the course elevation well - there's nothing like experience.

The attachment here graphs the course and elevation with a little less noise than the previous link. It's based on the same data though so don't expect it to be more than an indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

I think

Race numbers and chips are in the Papal Cross car park from 0730 to 0930.

thanks all for info,wonder will the results appear somewhere then,maybe on that italian timing website..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This is all down to my stupidity. I signed up to the Aware run last month, hoping it would spur me back into my old jogging routine (Tue 3m; Thu 3m; Sun slightly longer run) but I haven't managed to complete one 3miler since.
    Now I'm panicking.
    Is there any point me turning up on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

This is all down to my stupidity. I signed up to the Aware run last month, hoping it would spur me back into my old jogging routine (Tue 3m; Thu 3m; Sun slightly longer run) but I haven't managed to complete one 3miler since.
    Now I'm panicking.
    Is there any point me turning up on Saturday?

have a lash - if you dont go you have definately failed

ok few questions since I only did one 10k before and that was in the summer. Need to know what to do for winter and the race is so early?

what time to arrive in the park?

It is not due to rain but do people recommend tracksuit or togs?

or even a pair of gloves?

What to eat beforehand and how much (time wise) before hand?

tee shirt or something warmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ohyeah

can you still register for the aware race?

can you register on the day?

Yeh you can register on the day (or so I'm told) for €25.

dodgyme wrote: »
    ok few questions since I only did one 10k before and that was in the summer. Need to know what to do for winter and the race is so early?

what time to arrive in the park? - earlyish for collection of bibs, then back to car.

It is not due to rain but do people recommend tracksuit or togs? no tracksuit bottoms, underarmour possibly?

or even a pair of gloves? gloves maybe for me but definitely a hat.

What to eat beforehand and how much (time wise) before hand? don't eat myself that early, energy drink maybe.

tee shirt or something warmer? as above

thanks ...will follow your orders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tbh, I don't think it's going to be that cold on Saturday morning. I'd say you'd get away with single layer/shorts, especially as 10K would be at a fairly lively pace and you'd stay pretty warm while running. Just bring something warm for hanging around before/after in. That said, people's tolerance for the cold varies and some people will recommend more to be safe. I found today was comfortable t-shirt/light jacket weather to give you an idea of my particular cold tolerance.

As for time to arrive, the note I got said registration closes at 9:30. Registration is in the car park so no worries about long walk to/from the car. The start is also fairly close to the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DRUIDSGIRL

Hi Guys and gals - aware run
    1. breakfast in morning - cereal based - slow release of energy - keep off acidic liquids as they can repeat on you, if you don't like cereals - bagels are good too - yoghurt good - minimum one hour after eating a meal - I personally snack pre race so can eat something a few mins before start BUT THAT IS FROM EXPERIENCE -dont try it on race day! I wouldnt run on full stomach for at least 3 hours!!
    2. Run in whatever you know, and what feels comfy - if u were shorts, bring light jacket for upper body - trackies can get VERY heavy if wet unless using wicking material - shoes - dont put on your new ones!
    3. Start is near papal x
    4. For pre registered GO STRAIGHT TO COLLECTION CAR NEAR PAPAL X
    5 ENTRY ON DAY - go to Donore Harriers opp Chapelizod gate, THEN go to collect number at Papal X

Skittles - not a great idea - if you want a sugar boost - jelly babies are much better

10km bhaa marlay - sun

explained above - was just really ironing out a crease or 2!! Both courses are undulating, the sat one has the khyber pass in it, and marlay being in Dublin foothills - don't expect it flat - I believe its 3 loops and not 2 as suggested in earlier posting - GOOD LUCK ENJOY BOTH RACES I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!

Aware run was good craic if a little cold!! 5208--3 secs faster than my Bupa last year so i am improving :mad:Anyone know where the results will appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I did it in 1.08 and a few seconds, was delighted. It's my first race. I'm hooked! I thought the weather was perfect just cold enough that I didn't overheat but not too cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

my first 10km, 1.00 and 18 seconds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well done to all of you who ran.

What did you think of the course ? Was it similar to the BUPA 10k ?

Were there many participants ?

Hey guys,
    enjoys it today a lot, still recovering from Marathon so training hasn't been sufficient.
    Made it around in 53:45 so was a few mins off my BUPA time earlier in the year(56:30).

Found the course a good challenge as there were a lot of climbs and decents along the way.
    Onto the training now over 5k and sprints to get myself under 50 for the BUPA.

Well done to all on a freezing day, nearly passed out with frostbite waiting for the missus at finish line.

Results should be covered by tds live:

http://www.tds-live.com/wtrpg/index.jsp
    Union jack on top left should translate when results become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great morning for a run and good to do a race that wasn't totally mad crowded for a change.

Curiously, I wore my trusty garmin and at the finish line I measured my course at 10.08km Apart from km marker 1 each of the other km markers seemed off slightly. Anyone else notice wearning a gps watch notice that?

Well done to all who ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Got to remember slogger that when they measure a race they take the shortest possible route, whereas when you run you might go slightly longer going around people, going from one side of road to other etc. I suppose 80m might be a bit much - good to see what other GPS users thought. The GPS will have a % error, so I wouldn't mind 10.08 too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cheers. Believe me I took the shortest route around all bends and corners!

When I uploaded my watch data this evening it had counted 11 laps!, the last one being 19 seconds. And it all counts when you're going for a good time... In the end it was the difference for me between a 40 min time and a sub 40, something I didn't thing I had in me. :)

Advertisement