Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Public Spaces: Your help is urgently required!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 07-12-2007 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

If you are a Student in TCD, please take 5 minutes to fill out 10 short questions in support of my Thesis on Campus Open Spaces, by clicking on the following Link:

Comments

Define 'open spaces'? Would it be anything outside a building? Would the 'ramps' be included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gdwyer

There is a famous Urban Design book by an Urbanist called 'Life between Buildings', yes, anything that is between buildings, including ramps!

If you are interested in receiving a copy of the completed thesis, please PM me and I will add you to my list.

Regards

G

C'mon People! Please I need your opinions urgently!!!!!! Help!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gdwyer wrote: »
    If you are a Student in TCD, please take 5 minutes to fill out 10 short questions in support of my Thesis on Campus Open Spaces, by clicking on the following Link:

Doesnt work here in work

Whats it for?
    There is a famous Urban Design book by an Urbanist called 'Life between Buildings', yes, anything that is between buildings, including ramps!

If you are interested in receiving a copy of the completed thesis, please PM me and I will add you to my list.

Regards

G

There is a big difference between open space and usable open space. Try telling a LA that a ramp is open space

Give them a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

You only posted a link to your survey two hours ago: give people a chance. In any case, your survey is ill-designed and riddled with mistakes in spelling and punctuation. It smacks of a complete lack of professionalism.

• Advertisement

Thats not very helpful, leaving a message like that, it is collecting the data I want to collect, and that is the main thing, and as for un-professionalism? I do have about 10 years experience as an architect, including some on your lovely campus.

Fill in the survey or dont, but please do not lecture me about professionalism, I have to hand up a Masters Thesis in about 8 weeks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thats not very helpful, leaving a message like that, it is collecting the data I want to collect, and that is the main thing, and as for un-professionalism? I do have about 10 years experience as an architect, including some on your lovely campus.

Fill in the survey or dont, but please do not lecture me about professionalism, I have to hand up a Masters Thesis in about 8 weeks!

If you have 10 years experience then surely you know the difference in usable open space is and open space in genearl? As I cant see the survey maybe we arent talking about the same thing

Which famous person defines all open space as including ramps?

Now that I've read (some) of your survey I think you've got the ideas mixed

Here he is.

http://www.pps.org/info/placemakingtools/placemakers/jgehl

Its a really interesting book, and changed my view on architecture and design.
    Thats why I decided to go back to college to study Urban Design.

Architects design spaces, Urbanists design places.

If more Architects considered what ingredients spaces need to be successful, our towns and cities would be much better places for people.

I visited Gehls office in Copenhagen 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Gave up on survey after the second "Rank these random things using random variables" question. Having read the rest of the thread, I'm pretty glad - I find you to be one of the most rude and arrogant people I've ever seen on these boards (and believe me, that's saying something), and I'd hate to think I'd spent any time helping you. Numerous posts in the space of less than 5 hours telling people to hurry up and fill out your survey? Responding to questions about the nature of the survey with "it's all in this book, haven't you read it?"? Ignoring a valid criticism of how confusing and poorly-worded the test is with "Well, all I want is to collect data" - did it occur to you that information may be more readily offered and more accurate if people know what the hell it is you're asking?

In future, you might want to remember that you're asking people to give up their free time for nothing to help you, and a little bit of civility mightn't go astray - at the very least, try not to actively hassle people for not having filled out your poxy survey yet at 2 in the afternoon on a college-based message board the week before Christmas exams. Jesus Christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

We're not obliged to help you. Your survey is quite annoying to try and complete and your timing is very poor. I know that your Thesis is due in 8 weeks but most students here have exams or essays due in the next 72 hours if not both and are quite stuck for time. If your survey was that urgent you should have spoken to your supervisor and gotten them to send an email to some undergrad classes with the survey on your behalf, or addressed lectures yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Seriously, the OP here is ridiculously rude. Now, I'm a big fan of architecture and planning, and I have quite a good idea of what I'm speaking about. The OP may be a partner in one of Ireland's foremost architecture firms (http://www.wejchert.ie/), but the tone of both his posts and his survey are both demanding and abrupt. Perhaps the OP is used to working under very tight deadlines, but it's generally accepted by most polite people that passing one's own deadline problems onto others, especially those whom one is surveying, to be particularly disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

You've 8 weeks to complete your thesis, and are only collecting data now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Yeah, that was the question I was too lazy to post to be honest. I'm locking this thread and removing the link to the survey - the manner in which the poster asked people to help was ridiculuously rude, condescending, and just generally abrasive. More than anything else, I hope this teaches you a lesson about two thinks - 1) basic interaction and 2)basic information gathering. That survey is disgracefuly laid out, badly organised, poorly grouped, and you should have a bit of cop on if you've been working in a field for as long as you claim you have.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement