Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto Gp --- Valentino Rossi Has Done It Again

Options
  • 18-04-2004 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Valentino Rossi has won today the South African GP, driving his new Yamaha, supposly very weak compared to the Honda team...but he has done it anyway, fair play to him. He is the #1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Absolutely brilliant performance from Valentino in the Yamaha today, Biaggi pushed him all the way but he showed why he's the world champ. Brilliance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

What can you say about the guy except he's a bloody legend! The Michael Schumacher of bikes. They could stick him on a motorised unicycle and he'd probably still beat all the other riders into the ground! :D

I know Yamaha paid a hell of a lot of money to sign him from Honda but he's obviously justified every penny they paid. I expected him to go well this season alright but not to go out and win first time out on a Yamaha. I think everybody expected that it would take him and Yamaha a bit of time to gel together and develop the bike a bit and that by mid-season he'd then start fighting towards the front. But to go out and a: stick it on pole for the first race and then b: win first time out on the Yamaha, well, what can you say except incredible. However, Biaggi is also looking pretty strong as well so I expect this will be a much closer season than the last couple of years when Rossi seemed to have it pretty much all his own way.

One thing is for sure, though. F1 could take a major leaf out of MotoGP's book in terms of entertainment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Damn I missed it. Hopefully there's a rerun on the telly. But he's really good. Porbably be the best for many many years to come. Cant believe it he pulled it off after Yamaha having such a bad year. Hat off to him for being able to accomplish it in a short span of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

It is a pity that paddypower doesn't offer the possibility to bet in Moto GP, only F1 or Rally :mad:

It would be great fun, specially because it is more than likely for a Moto GP race to be decided at the last lap, and although I like F1 i have to say that Moto GP is much more spectacular due to the high number of overtaking manouvres which usually occures during the race...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

i think it cost yamaha 10 million for rossi. Listening to the commentary o d weekend, money was no object as long as they got rossi and gerry burgess (spelling??) and then they called the shots machinerywise.

best move was rossi taking biaggi up the inside, slowing right down and forcing him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

He's only gone and stuck it on provisional pole for European kick off too!

And dragged Checa with him onto the front row!

I sniff a Doohan/Criville type situation emerging....

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This season could be a very good spectacle. While Rossi is definitely the best rider currently in MotoGP the Yamaha probably falls a tiny bit short of Honda/Ducati. Hopefully the technical advantages/disavdantages of the various teams keep the battles to win tight for the full race throughout the season.

Yup, I agree.

The horsepower disadvantage of the Yammer wasn't so apparent in the high altitude Welkom track. So even though Rossi has stuck it on provisional in Spain, when he has to fight with other bikes, he may not be able to take the lines of a one lapper. In the same way that the 2 stroke twins and the Proton in the past have been able to worry the front rows in qulai, in race trim, they are lacking.

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Ahh well.. it rained in spain and he looked a wee bit lost on the yamaha... just keeping nicky hayden behind him to clinch 4th on the last lap.. sete gibernau winning his home GP in the end.

I was delighted to see Sete take the win ahead of Max, he richly deserved it.

Rossi did seem to be all at sea, tyres bad and evil handling bike. He seemed happy enough himself to have gotten some reasonable points.

I suspect that Burgess has got the best from the bike and but that there is only so much he can do, consequently when conditions conspire againts them, it just turns bad.

Still, interesting season though.

LD

• Advertisement
Advertisement