Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much would you pay to see me jump from 10,000 ft?

• 19-01-2004 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Two of my primary fears, are planes, and heights.
    So I plan on conquering that fear, by flying up to 10,000 ft in a rickety plane, and jumping out.

A more frequent term for it, is skydiving :)

http://www.goskydive.ie do sponsered jumps for charity, and I'd like to make my jump in aid of the childrens hospital in Crumlin, Dublin.

The minimum price to jump is €550, €275 of which will go to the jump, €275 of which will go to the childrens hospital in Crumlin. Anything raised over €550 will also go to crumlin (-€25 for my new pants and underwear.. -€10 if the wind blows my ****e up onto my tshirt too)

Anybody here willing to donate? Once I finalize everything and get a sponsership card, and if there's anybody that'd pay to see me plummet a few thousand feet, I'll give out donation information

If enough is raised,I might even go without the chute!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I don't have much but I'll pledge a tenner! PM the details to me.

I've always wanted to do this myself. Fancy a jump partner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Whens it on Tell ? No cash right now, but I could donate 50 quid next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Im not going to give out any details until I have the sponsership card, just to make sure nothing goes wrong.

But seeing as Im well below the maximum weight, and turned legal age last month, everything should go grand. Jump wont be for a month at the least, seeing as I have to sort out a few sponsership things with rapid cabs ect

Wiz: the more the merrier. http://www.goskydive.ie .. one thing though, your gunna be paying your own fare :p

I'll pay as long as you don't use a parachute, because you see, then I'd be actually gaining something from this(I'd tape it and sell videos). Otherwise no, I will not fund your leisure activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I'll give €5 if you get a few thousand others, kit them up in World War 2 uniforms, weapons and equipment, and re-enact Operation Market Garden, without telling the government of Holland in advance. Otherwise you can sod off.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, €275 has already been paid for out of the remains of my christmas money. Everything donated goes straight to the hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by utility_
    I'll pay as long as you don't use a parachute, because you see, then I'd be actually gaining something from this(I'd tape it and sell videos). Otherwise no, I will not fund your leisure activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

aah isnt it good to see the spirit of charity and good will alive and well in so many members. ieven the prospect of helping some sick kids cant get you to dig into your pockets, if its has come to the stage where we cant spare a fiver for a good cause were in a bad way. ill pledge whatever i can afford when the collection comes round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i shall support you in this venture . if u see me when im drunk its the best time to get cash off me . fail on that ill say 10 r 20 . when u get around to organising this pm me and ill get the cash to u . whenever u need it .

also pm me next time u wana do somthing stupid like that id love to do one myself but dont have a clue how to raise cash

also agree fully with above post . give the cash over and stop trying to make cash off somthing that will go to a charity

also is this the one done in offaly ? if so might pop over and watch u do it . could be a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

i can give a fiver now but if i have a job by the time collections come around i can pledge €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Email me with the relevent info and i will sponsor you €10

francis_dunne@dunnefamily.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Went sky diving while J1ing in the US, great time was had by all. Worst bit is moving up to the edge of the fuselage just before the jump. Don't look down till you've already jumped.

Remember if at first you don't suceed, so much for skydiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Went skydiving with these people about a year ago http://www.skydive.ie/ , and had a great laugh. Don't worry about being nervous, it's an amazing experience freefalling, even though I only got to do it for 4 seconds:( - I did a static line jump, which basically means you're on your own! You go up to 3200 feet, then climb out of the plane, pull yourself along this wire under the wing, then let go when you are at the end of the bar (I'm serious we actually had to do this! Something about not hitting the tail or something). It's not too bad with tandems though (apart from the added height). I think you go to the door, and sit with your legs dangling over the edge, then the person you're attached to jumps out with you. 30 seconds of freefall will be brilliant though, you'll have an amazing time! And don't worry, you won't be nervous when it comes to exiting the plane, you'll sorta go on auto-pilot and not feel anything at all until you're out which is handy enough. Ah I'd love to do a tandem myself if only I had the money. Good luck though, I'll pledge 20 euro, just pm me or let me know when you're collecting it and I'll get it to you somehow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

count me in for a tenner.

also, I have a digital camera with a 10x zoom on it (10x opt. 4x dig), so we might get some good pictures of you screeming like a little girl. could be good anyway.

where's offaly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

its a small place near Tipperary:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Don't let Kallina hear you asking where offaly is......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

At that price, we should ALL do it...

I know I want to...

Especially as its for charity... think of the children, like...

I'll throw twenty quid at you for it Truckle... be sure to take (and post up) photos of the event...

tbh i'm not from ireland, and only know dublin. only place i've ever been apart from dublin is meath. i made it as far as bray once on the dart though, if that counts for anything. :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

what you need is this brillant new invention called................................A MAP (and yes i am serious there is such an invetion to tell you where places are )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

Id sponser you in the region of 30-40 or so pm me when you get your details sorted.

• Advertisement

Just got an email back from goskydive.ie , they said that Our Lady's Hospital, Crumlin, does not accept donations earned from skydiving/parachute jumps, so I'll have to pick another charity :(

Since Im looking for donations off you lot, I'll leave it up to you to decide where the money goes. Post saying where it should go to, and the most popular choice wins.

(And try really really hard not to say "MY DRINK FUND" ect)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

eh what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Tellox
    Our Lady's Hospital, Crumlin, does not accept donations earned from skydiving/parachute jumps

Never heard that kinda BS before - what kind of moral issues could the hosp have with jumps? Sounds bloody stupid to me, charity turning down ethically gained funds.

Al.

Originally posted by agent smith
    eh what he said

Really, I do appreciate your posting on a thread which is aimed towards raising money for a charity, and saying "Just so you know, Im not donating anything!".

Also, how does the children to lapland appeal sound?
    http://www.childrentolaplandappeal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

You ****er, you beat me to it. Myself and a friend were in a cafe today and saw one of the leaflets they pass out for it, and I picked one up saying I might just do it this year cause my cousin said it was one of the greatest experiences in his life when he did it. Always wanted to do one, so maybe we could get a boards team to go or something. Just the thought of doing it makes me wanna **** myself, but at the same time, i'm shivering with joy at the very thought of how cool it would be.

And no to donations, I'm broke as it is, and struggling to pay rent. If I have a job, then I'll sponser you a few quid, but I'd prefer to do it meself tbh. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well what will u give me for fiffey squid? ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Post saying where it should go to, and the most popular choice wins.

Childline.

anything for the kids.

as for the map thing, if I could find a decnet map of ireland on the net i ould be more than happy to look it up, but the fact of the matter is, since mapflow went all greedy on us there isn't much in the way of detailed maps of ireland out there. maybe the RAC maps, but they still aren't great for ireland.

Big Ears, could you tell me the location of every rural town in france?

give me a break won't ye, there's no need for the BIG CAPS to come out because I asked a question. especially when it's about donating money to charity ffs.

anyway, I'd like to increase my sponsership to €20 to include a €10 donation on behalf of Big Ears for supplying advise rather than a donation. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Our Lady's Hospital, Crumlin, does not accept donations earned from skydiving/parachute jumps, so I'll have to pick another charity :(

you could just get the money and donate it as "a good samaritan" rather than someone who got it from skydiving if theyre against that. its a bit ridiculous alright tho, i mean im not a charity and id never turn down free money wherever it came from (within reason):D

After speaking with some people,I've decided that Childline it is.

And anything for you az ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'll try and donate as much as possible, let us know when the jump is going a head and Im sure I could donate a few quid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

offaly is in the dead center of ireland ( basicly ). if he goes ahead with the dive ( do id like to have a reason to go out and watch ) id tell ya where it is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

After speaking with some people,I've decided that Childline it is.

I withdraw my offer. I have serious issues with the ISPCC. I see them as a business not a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Would you be interested in a jumping partner.......I was thinking of doing it around march.....or asap, let me know.

thanks joePC....

• Advertisement

the more the merrier, just remember that you'll be paying your own fares. Anything donated goes straight to the selected charity. Yellum, what other charity would you suggest?

So far theres;

Childline
    ChildAid
    XLC Schools Project
    Terminally ill children to Lapland appeal; http://www.childrentolaplandappeal.ie

Any other ideas?

Also, the jump will most likely be taking place on the 1st of march

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Just so you know, I'm not donating anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 OWEN_SPLAT_DEAD

Best of luck.

Now a picture

:)
    > you
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V
    _
    > you + ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

eh you don't wanna jump from 10,000ft, anything over 7000ft is dangerous, you suffer muscle weakness and a false feeling of wellbeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'd love to parachute from a plane...... I'm not however going to pay you to do it for me.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement