Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish more dangerous than sex offenders"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

****ing hell! Has this been reported anywhere else besides The Sun?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Holy Crap the Sun has that news story, **** it must be correct
    They NEEEEVVVEEERRRR bull**** with there news stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Thanks for you sarcasim Cabaal but if you go to the other thread you will see that it was in the London Times too. Why does everyone slag The Sun off so much? They can't just make up stuff you know. There are libel laws. At least they don't charge for looking at their website unlike The Irish Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Why does everyone slag The Sun off so much? They can't just make up stuff you know.
    Ahoho.

Yes they can (I'll offer the Elton John series in the 80s as one example). They can be pursued through the courts in a libel case (and they have been) but that doesn't prevent them printing anything in the first place. And you can't sue in court as an individual if they slur a large number of people as a group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by sceptre
    And you can't sue in court as an individual if they slur a large number of people as a group.
    I doubt the English police will look very kindly on being called racists, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    I doubt the English police will look very kindly on being called racists, however.

ditto to that!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

That report makes the English police look overtly racist,
    thus I don't belive it; few things are rarely that black and white... (as it were).
    I also think you'll find that, interestingly, if you replace the words,

"Cops" with "Nazis" , "English" with "Germans" and "Irish" with "Jews"

It's like a primary school project on "the bold Nazis" and "the poor Jews" with the words changed.
    Nazis who wiped Ian Huntley’s sex files from their computers kept secret dossiers on hundreds of other residents — because they were Jewish.

Humberside police ordered officers to open files on Jewish people in the area in case they might be terrorists. They even kept records on German-born people of Jewish descent.

The revelation comes just days after Chief Constable David Westwood claimed his force was prevented by data protection laws from keeping records of unproven allegations of sex abuse against Huntley.

The pervert, who murdered schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, got a school caretaker’s job despite being probed over a string of rapes and attacks on young girls.

The Jewish database was opened as part of an operation to investigate if Jewish terrorists were using two ports in the force’s area.

In a secret memo in October 2000 officers were told to alert Special Branch when “anyone of Jewish origin, descent or background” was arrested, stopped in the street or in a car, or subject to inquiry “for any reason”.

Special Branch also wanted to know of anyone with an Jewish name seeking accommodation.

Anti-terror officers feared chemical plants in the area might be blown up by republicans.

But Humberside police stopped adding names to the list when Labour MP Kevin McNamara learned of its existence and complained to Home Secretary Jack Straw.

Mr McNamara branded the database “offensive and racist”. The force last night refused to say if the list had been erased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

what about irish sex offenders, what do they think of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Along with all the others.....
    are in need of serious help and locking up if needs be......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

The British have been keeping records on the 'Irish' for generations. So whats 'Newsy' about this story ?...

Apart from it being just another example of 'gutter sensationalist' journalism, and one of the reasons why I gave up buying 'Newspapers' many years ago.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You gave up reading newspapers because you became blind with old age you senile old geriatric gobsheen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Sangre
    You gave up reading newspapers because you became blind with old age you senile old geriatric gobsheen.

Jesus H Christ Sangre, there's no need for that, Paddy may have some interesting opinions, but thats a bit harsh dont you think.

Sangre,

You are now on my ignore list. As obviously, nothing you write is worthy of my attention.

Im sorry, Im just a Newbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

read that yesterday too (although not in the sun). Secret databases of Irish people being kept.. even the ones that havent comitted crimes. Is it with the entire police force or just with the Soham force however? The article I read suggested that it was just the Soham crowd that kept the details.

Needless to say of course, it is completely unacceptable that this kind of crap is going on in the supposedly 'civilised' world. I know if I was living in Soham and perfectly innocent (which, of course I am :D) I'd want to see a public arse-kicking. In fact.. I'd want to be the one giving the arse-kicking, with all the other Irish people on the database of course.

rymus,

Quote; " Is it with the entire police force or just with the Soham force however ? " end quote.

The British Foreign Office, Home Office, MI6, MI5 and Scotland Yards Anti- terrorist branch, along with all local police forces throughout Britain have been keeping very detailed files on all 'Irish' people residing in the UK for generations, and particularly over the past troubled 30 years. Allegedly, in the interest of the security of the citizens of the British Isles.

There really is nothing particularly sinister, "newsworthy"or alarming about this. Considering the past history of Anglo/Irish relations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Paddy20
    rymus,

Quote; " Is it with the entire police force or just with the Soham force however ? " end quote.

The British Foreign Office, Home Office, MI6, MI5 and Scotland Yards Anti- terrorist branch, along with all local police forces throughout Britain have been keeping very detailed files on all 'Irish' people residing in the UK for generations, and particularly over the past troubled 30 years. Allegedly, in the interest of the security of the citizens of the British Isles.
    So which agency do you work for P20? As you have this highly sensitive info maybe you would like to reveal who else they have "info" on? Or is this another example of BS and sensationalism, a bit like the story in the Sun?

There really is nothing particularly sinister, "newsworthy"or alarming about this. Considering the past history of Anglo/Irish relations.

Well maybe you should read the story before you come up with a ridiculous acessertation like that. The fact that they kept records on Irish people is actually beside the point. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

NEWS FLASH – UK POLICE KEEP FILES ON POSSIBLE TERRORISTS!!

SHOCK, SHOCK, HORROR, HORROR!

Seriously, if the database is full of people’s details just because they are Irish – it’s wrong. However, if the proposed UK national ID cards go ahead there’s not much of a point arguing about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

the Sun has always been anti Irish, anyone worth their salt would not buy that gutter press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by monument
    NEWS FLASH – UK POLICE KEEP FILES ON POSSIBLE TERRORISTS!!
    The problem is keeping files on people with a very low possibility of being terrorists, while not keeping them on a probable serial rapist (and now convicted murderer).

Originally posted by Victor
    The problem is keeping files on people with a very low possibility of being terrorists, while not keeping them on a probable serial rapist (and now convicted murderer).

I was messing - this is afterhours after all - so after that I did say...

Seriously, if the database is full of people’s details just because they are Irish – it’s wrong

Originally posted by dendenz
    the Sun has always been anti Irish, anyone worth their salt would not buy that gutter press

If anything that article was pro-Irish but more probably neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

rymus,

do u mean the britain or do u mean british isles because that would mean their protecting the republic as well. protecting us from our own people eh sounds odd.

Big Ears,

I am confused by your phraseology. Perhaps you could pose your question, in 'plain; english?.

As far as I am aware. The Republic of Ireland is a 'free state', and the Brits have no sway here. Especially, not with me!.

Carry on reading the British sensationalist gutter press. If you enjoy being brainwashed and treated as a halfwit. Its your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

If you really want to find out what The Sun and other "Irish" tabloids really think about us, get a copy of the same paper printed on the same day destined for sale in England. It's really quite an eye opener.

Personally if the tabloids weren't liberally sprinkled with t1ts I wouldn't buy them at all. How's that for honesty?
    Why don't we just but a Playboy once a month and stop letting on that we are buying a "newspaper".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Big Ears,

I am confused by your phraseology. Perhaps you could pose your question, in 'plain; english?.

As far as I am aware. The Republic of Ireland is a 'free state', and the Brits have no sway here. Especially, not with me!.

Carry on reading the British sensationalist gutter press. If you enjoy being brainwashed and treated as a halfwit. Its your choice.

I think what he means is that Ireland is part of the "British Isles" whether you claim it's a free state or not. The fact that the Brits have "no sway" makes about as much scense as asking me which bean made me fart!

He did not ask you if the "Brits" have any sway, he merely alluded to your knee-jerked mis-informed and incorrect previous posting which stated, and I will quote your words as you may understand them better, "'Irish' people residing in the UK for generations, and particularly over the past troubled 30 years. Allegedly, in the interest of the security of the citizens of the British Isles. emphasis on the British Isles. Now the question is, as Ireland is part of the British Isles, why would British Police have any interest in protecting the citizens of our country, what juristriction do they have here, and more importantly, what the fnuk are you talking about?

Hobart,

Quote; " Now the question is,as Ireland is part of the British Isles " end quote.

What a load of Horses**t. I would hate to be standing anywhere near you, if you uttered that 'insulting' claptrap in public in Donegal.

But Ireland is part of the British Isles. Both islands (Ireland and Britain) are referred to as the British Isles. Just because it doesn't fit your political outlook, does not mean it's not true. Are anti-Europeans allowed to proclaim that Ireland is not part of Europe when it obviously is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hojo

Hobart,

Quote; " Now the question is,as Ireland is part of the British Isles " end quote.

What a load of Horses**t. I would hate to be standing anywhere near you, if you uttered that 'insulting' claptrap in public in Donegal.

So what your saying is that being Irish and British is to different things?

What about the prods up north who think off themselfs as Irish but in the British context and that Ireland should be reunited with Britain? :rolleyes:

The brits are right to keep an eye on the irish after all the RIRA are happy to kill their own people Omagh. Well the RIRA claim to be to be off the same people.

I have put you on my ignore list. As nothing you have to say or write is of any interest to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Paddy20, you're a muppet. You aren't making any sense what so ever and when someone actually makes a valid point to you you just throw them on your ignore list. Aswell as that, you type like some sort of retarded monkey animal.

That? "is" all,.. for NOW!"

oeNeo,

Very civil polite behaviour for a moderator, you set a fine example. Now you have the honour of having joined the above 'hojo' the 'sicko psycho' on my - permanent' ignore list. Try moderating that!. Happy New Year & Goodbye.

P.:) :ninja: WoaaaHaaaHaaaHa....

But if you put anyone who disagrees with you on your ignore list, don't you end up here on the boards on your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Of course we're more dangerous, not in the sick dirty way peados are, but in the whole "i'll kick your head in" way.

We're all supposed to be psychos remember!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

paddy 20 let me explain something to u. Britain :england scotland wales

uk:england scotland wales northern ireland

british isles :england scotland wales Northern ireland republic of ireland

british isles is not a government but a region. U may not like it(ireland =british region) being called the british isles but it is. British may not like the sea on the west of them to be called the irish sea but it is.thats just the way things are.

the british isles are just like scandinavia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hojo

paddy 20 you think that I'm a 'sicko psycho' ? Why because I think the british should keep an eye on non britians that choose to live in their land?

You are a sad case and have one hell off a chip on your shoulder. By the way the only way you will see a united Ireland is under british rule. ;)

Big Ears,

Thanks for that info. I must admit that I was not aware that the British Isles, includes the 'Republic of Ireland'!.

You are also correct. I do not like it. I was born in Ireland, my passport states that I am a citizen of the Republic of Ireland. There is no mention of the British Isles in it, and imho there should not be.

I am who I am as well as what I am, and I will not be changing my opinions at my stage of life for anyone. I am happy that Ireland is now a part of the E.U.

Happy New Year to you & yours.

P.:ninja: :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Id much rather be a part of Britain than an Ireland ruled by republican idiots like paddy20 I must say...

I'd say something witty and scathing.............but Im on his ignore list.

• Advertisement

Sangre,

No you are not on my ignore list. You were only on it for about 2 days, as you apologised for your insulting personalised post directed at me.

See, I really am a generous forgiving spirit, but do not tell anyone else.

At present there are only two people on my ignore list. Thats 'hojo' & 'oeNeo', and its great not to even see their written garbage.

Happy New Year to you & yours.

P.;) :ninja:

Originally posted by Sangre
    I'd say something witty and scathing.............but Im on his ignore list.

Say something witty and scathing!

Sangre,

No you are not on my ignore list. You were only on it for about 2 days, as you apologised for your insulting personalised post directed at me.

Eh...no I didnt say sorry and how the hell would you know if i did if i was on your ignore list?

Sangre,

RE; Your apologetic post on page one of this thread.

22/12/2003 @ 01:10 am,

Quote; " Im sorry, Im just a Newbie " end quote.

P.;) :ninja:

Im sorry did you say something?

You're on my ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ROFLMAO!!!!!

I found that amusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Have the words "sex offenders" appeared at all in the last 40 posts????

Mighty good trollin' :D:D

Originally posted by Big Ears
    paddy 20 let me explain something to u. Britain :england scotland wales

uk:england scotland wales northern ireland

british isles :england scotland wales Northern ireland republic of ireland

british isles is not a government but a region. U may not like it(ireland =british region) being called the british isles but it is. British may not like the sea on the west of them to be called the irish sea but it is.thats just the way things are.

the british isles are just like scandinavia

Things change - maps change - governments change - names change.

It was called the British Isles for a reason, since that reason is no longer valid – the Irish Republic is not a part of Britain, (or simplified part of one of the islands is not owned by Britain) – it is technical no longer the British Isles.

Any one foolish enough to say the republic is part of the British Isles has a poor understanding of English language. Before someone starts the English language is still called such because it has basically not changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by monument
    Things change - maps change - governments change - names change.

what hasn't changed is the fact that the Republic of Ireland is still a part of the British Isles

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    what hasn't changed is the fact that the Republic of Ireland is still a part of the British Isles

Yes, but at the present time it is wrongly named so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement