Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your own policy regarding lending of DVDs / CD's / fragile media etc to people

• 26-11-2003 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I hate being unnacommodating to my friends but this issue I've got to the point now where it's just pissing me off.

You see I don't know if any of you have this problem I've a LOT of DVDs / CDs etc which means people are often eager to borrow from me. That in itself is fine, but I've noticed that when I lend stuff to my friends they don't usually don't seem to take nearly as much care of what they've borrowed from me as I would.

The usual situation is that stuff comes back either scratched, smelling like it was filed under 'A' for ashtray, covered in what only could be described as 'crud' or with the 'teeth' that hold the CD/DVD in the case looking more like Shane McGowan than Rose McGowan. This isn't deliberate damage - it's just how these individuals mind their own stuff in general it seems.

It's gotten to the point where I literally don't want to lend my stuff out to people anymore but I'd feel bad at the same time saying NO to them because I know for a fact that those people would readily lend their stuff to me if I so requested - only difference is they always theirs back in the same condition as when they lent it to me in the first place.

Anyway I was wondering would it be weird to just tell my friends 'NO' you can't borrow my stuff and does anyone else here have a zero-lending policy when it comes to people borrowing their stuff? Or does this problem even bother anyone else out there or am I the only one who even cares about keeping their music etc in good nick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mr Pinchy

I'm the same with certain stuff but it all depends on who it is. I had someone who never returned a PS game (45 pound at the time) so with that person it became zero tolerance, and other people who dont take care of the lent items, well then it depended on how fragile/expensive the item to be lent was. Also depends on whether they are tight with their things - I have a strict two way policy. But in the end, stuff is stuff and it can all be replaced.

That said, there are some things I have that I wont lend to anyone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I've got a lot of DVDs and lend to people, have no probs with it. If someone gives me back one of my DVDs in bad shape, I won't lend to them anymore. They should know better. If someone lends me something I take care to not damage it in any way, I expect only that from people I lend to. You damage, no lending anymore.

A lot of people though are good and have no probs lending to them. Keep a shortlist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i usually dont lend stuff out anymore since loads of things have gone missing or come back looking like it been rolled over by a bus. some people i dont mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

I had someone who never returned a PS game (45 pound at the time) so with that person it became zero tolerance

same here man, lent those games in good faith and they came back looking like a dog had tore the ****e outta em. so i never lend my stuff until i know that the person will take care of my DVD, CD , Game etc...
    Anyway I was wondering would it be weird to just tell my friends 'NO' you can't borrow my stuff

nope man perfectly normal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't consider DVD or CD to be fragile media. Mine have taken far more abuse than vinyl or a videotape ever could.

I tend not to borrow or lend stuff because a) I usually forget to give it back, and only remember when I find it 6 months later under a big pile of clothes (in its case of course), and b) Nobody ever asks to borrow my stuff.

If I want a CD, I'll buy it. If I want to watch a DVD, I'll rent it. (My mate has hundreds of DVDs, but they're all cult DVDs, so I either own them already, or hate them)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In theory I'd have no problem lending them to certain people. However, it's illegal to lend your stuff so I'd never condone it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im never giving somone my stuff ever again ive lost so much from ppl not brining it back r saying
    but sure didnt i give it to x to give it back to you

or
    ye i gave that back to you months ago

its to annoying to give them stuff now so i dont bother . if they dont bring me the cds to do a off site backup in case of fire etc... they wont get anything off me thats in digital form .

and if its somthn like a camera r a tv r a console r somthn forget it ive seen many of them break my stuff so bugger off and buy ur own r give me twice what its worth just in case u brake it ( for the hassel of having to go out and buy it again )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Only lend them to your closest friends. dont lend it to anyone who ya know will use it as a frisbie, skin up board. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Perfectly understand where you're coming from. A mate of mine used to always borrow my cds, copy them on his computer and then sell them on! Feck that! I'm not paying 20 quid or whatever it is for a cd so he can get it for nothing and then make a profit from it. Wouldn't mind but this guy doesn't even lend back cause he owns NO cds at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I only lend stuff to my closest friends, and have never had any issues with stuff coming back in bad condition. If it did, I simply would not lend any more to whoever damaged it.

You should expect to get your stuff back the way it was when you gave it away. If it doesn't, perhaps you have the wrong friends? :D Seriously though, I simply would not lend any more to a particular person if they broke/damaged stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by James R
    Perfectly understand where you're coming from. A mate of mine used to always borrow my cds, copy them on his computer and then sell them on! Feck that! I'm not paying 20 quid or whatever it is for a cd so he can get it for nothing and then make a profit from it. Wouldn't mind but this guy doesn't even lend back cause he owns NO cds at all!

Eh... I'm afraid that's not a mate you have there. It's an ásshole! You should've given him a sever beating for that shít.

I lend to my close friends, and they always return my stuff in the same condition. If they didn't I wouldn't lend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i dont usually give a loan of my stuff to anyone except for the few i know that will take good care of them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've had to many CD's made **** of by people so unless they have a good track record and they own and look after loads of there own CD's then I either don't give them any CD's or I make them a copy of the CD on a cheap-o-cd (cheapest blank media I can find) and give them that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

it just depends on who is the friend and how calm and sensible they are, but i have been given cds back that look like they were used to hold up wobbly tables or somthin. usually theese people dont take care of their own stuff, so id never lend my stuff to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Whenever I give a lend of CDs/DVDs/Games they usually are returned with Ice-Cream on them.

Now maybe its some joke that Im not aware of, but I thinks its more than co-incidence that almost all games I give to friends of mine, are returned with dried ice cream on them.

I mean how often do most people eat Ice cream at home? Not enough to get it on my stuff constantly surely.

Orangerooster im looking at you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

That was one time!i lend lots of stuff to people if i remember to give it to them and its always returned in good condition!apart from my ps copy of quake 2 which is gone forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I've been burned by this a couple of times.
    Back when Warcraft II was big, I got the WCII battlechest, leant it to a friend of mine and it went right round the neighbourhood and I eventually got it back with no case. P**sed me off nicely.
    I also leant another friend a couple of Games at once, one was Quake III which was a copy on a CDRW and the other was Lander (which I've never seen in the shops since I got it). I gave him the orig case for QIII cos it had the CD key. After a year and a half of asking for them back and him telling me they were in his flat in Dublin. He eventually admitted (in October I think) that he'd lost them and that he'd replace them. I havn't seen anything of them since.

I don't run after people who I've leant things too. If I've leant them stuff then I have a right to have it given back to me within a reasonable amount of time. Should I have to hound after my friends to get my things after they asked for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I've lended and learned.
    There's 3 types I've identified:

Type 1:
    The ones who will return you stuff in a relativly ok manner....eventually.

Type 2:
    The ones who 6 years later say, "oh by the way I have you <cd/dvd/game/book/vital organs/etc>" and you could swear they laminated it as there's no evidence of any wear and tear- later they tell you that they never watched/read/listened to/whatevere'd it- after 6 years....ARRGH!

Type 3:
    Type 3 doesn't give a sh1t. Type 3 will return your books tattered, you beautifully bound hardback collection of <insert favourite author here> now has no cover, the pages are dog-eared, and is that curry? My lord I hope it's curry!
    That's if you get them back @ all. Type 3, of course, is your friend up until he/she gets what they want, your stuff, and it might never again see the light of day. They'll sell it, or worst of all, lend it to someone else equally despicable.
    BASTARDS!!!

Now in the case of the latter, I've learned something, say it's your favourite cd/tap/whatever and someone wants it "just for tonight I'll copy it and give it back to you tomorrow"- fair enough- not that it's very easy to get that CD/tape/record whatever as it's a limited edition rare-pressing of some obscure Brasillian psychedellic band from the 60's/prolific techno producer from detroit nobody ever heard of/some Lee Perry dub of Pete Tosh which only sold 300 copies/live Gallagher and Mark Knoffler bootleg and you're one of the few people on the planet that has it or even knows it exists.
    Suddenly your best friend in the whole wide world seems to have vanished, as thought some rift in the entire fabric of space and time has developed, erasing your friends existence and any record of him borrowing your stuff- but for the memory in your mind. We've all been there- but here's my advice.

See you talk to him again (or her sorry) and you'll be told that your stuff;s been lent to someone else. And so the detective game begins friends of friends of friends until you meet a brick wall- generally someone you know has your sh1t but the bastard's holding out on you, short of breaking into their house and robbing it back (that's the backup plan) the trick is this- next time you see a copy of that tape or book or whatever- nick it. You're in someone's flat, house, at a party, where-ever- just nick the f***ing thing. and here's the logic of it- it's either one or 2 things- it's your copy, that which was robbed from you, or, if you rob it- your copy will find its way back to them. "Oh I used to have a copy of that but someone stole it" Things go in cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

scabby c*nts!

i'll lend anything of my to anyone (within reason), if they damage it, they buy me a new one. simple as that

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by ferdi
    scabby c*nts!

i'll lend anything of my to anyone (within reason), if they damage it, they buy me a new one. simple as that

same policy as myself.... your break it, you replace it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    short of breaking into their house and robbing it back (that's the backup plan)
    I've done that :D
    My next door neighbour had one of my SNES games for ages. They all went away one day leaving a small upstairs window open. It was easily accessible so I climbed on up through the window, got my game, and back out the window again.
    Unfortunately someone saw me and told him when he got back :(
    The joys of being 12 :)

Advertisement