Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible-Is there anything it cant do??

• 22-11-2003 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Just seen an excellent documentary about the Bible Code, basically a mathematical theory that there is a hidden gospel within the Bible uncovered by the use of skip codes.

This hidden book reveals details of human history, both past and future.
    It has apparently revealed the Kennedy and Rabin assassinations and nuclear holocaust in 2006 and this has been backed up by scientific statistical evidence.

The mathematical flaw is that if you take a large enough text, you can find anything you look for using the skip code method.

Just wondering what people think of this, do you think it might be possible or is it a crock of s***?

And if you believe in the possibility, does the existance of the Bible Code remove human morality, as we did not have freedom of choice due to everything being predestined?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

tell me more about this holocaost. That's mad. There was something about 9-11 in there somewhere..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which version / translation of the Bible and which code ?
    Or maybe it's the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Talmud or the Koran or other book..

And as for it being Gospel - which Gospel is the most accurate ?

Let's face it there is some merit in the muslim instance on leaving the Koran in the original langague..
    But the translations are kinda scary - real old testament stuff..

By using codes you can show that Shakesperes did not write his own stuff - it was Julius Cesear !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

It was exposed as a crock of sh** that evolved from wishful thinking on behalf of the 'discoverer'. I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mr Pinchy

It all depends on which side of the argument you prefer, thats what makes the whole thing so damn freaky.
    They did an experiment with the names of thirty historical Rabbis, and the Bible code revealed their places and dates of birth. So statistically, the code may coincidentally reveal the places and dobs of maybe 8 rabbis, but all 30? But because these rabbis lived so long ago, there are historically different versions of their names. When different name versions are used, it didnt work.

Also, the author (not the code discoverer) of a book about the Bible code, left three predictions with a law firm which turned out to be true when opened. He also tried to warn Rabin about his assassination but he refused to see him.

To answer the questions about this, it works on the Old Testament bible, and in the original Hebrew language. There are even messages hidden in Genesis.

If you believe they exist, that is...

Strange occurance all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The mathematical flaw is that if you take a large enough text, you can find anything you look for using the skip code method.

Just wondering what people think of this, do you think it might be possible or is it a crock of s***?

You've answered your own question there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Originally posted by Mr Pinchy
    It all depends on which side of the argument you prefer, thats what makes the whole thing so damn freaky.
    They did an experiment with the names of thirty historical Rabbis, and the Bible code revealed their places and dates of birth. So statistically, the code may coincidentally reveal the places and dobs of maybe 8 rabbis, but all 30? But because these rabbis lived so long ago, there are historically different versions of their names. When different name versions are used, it didnt work.
    Except they were discovered to have used a variety of convenient spellings and versions of each and every rabbi and all statistical sugnificance was lost in the process.
    When they were offered the cahnce of repeating the test with independent experts they blocked the publication of the test results........

To answer the questions about this, it works on the Old Testament bible, and in the original Hebrew language. There are even messages hidden in Genesis.

And since then they've discovered messages in Moby Dick and several other novels while proving the meaningless nature of the exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I saw someone do the same trick with the MS contract on Windows.

You can basically get anything if you try hard enough.

Also strange how in Bible code 2 book they only tell of 9/11 after it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Watch the film PI ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

"if your a fool looking for nonsense you'll find it anywhere"

pretty much sums up the bible codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bible is bollox, catholic church is bollox.

People can find whatever they want in the bible, it's so open to interpatation.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I saw someone do the same trick with the MS contract on Windows.

You can basically get anything if you try hard enough.

Also strange how in Bible code 2 book they only tell of 9/11 after it happens.

But there is a difference -
    While some people dispute that the Bible was produced only by divine inspiration, no one questions the Devils authorship of the EULA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I side firmly with the poppycock opinion.

Drosnin (the author of both editions of The Bible Code) insists that while most of the content are postdisctions, he has predicted certain events. I believe the Schumacher-Levy impact on Jupiter was one he held up as having "predicted". Unfortunately, in that case, while he did "find" the message predicting the occurrence of the impact, complete with date before the event occurred, it was after the impact (and date) had been publically announced by NASA et al.

Best review I've seen of it was in SciAm. Here's an excerpt :
    Just like the prophecies of soothsayers past and present, all such predictions are actually postdictions (note that not one psychic or astrologer forewarned us about 9/11). To be tested scientifically, Bible codes would need to predict events before they happen. They won't, because they can't--as Danish physicist Niels Bohr averred, predictions are difficult, especially about the future. Instead, in 1997 Drosnin proposed this test of his thesis: "When my critics find a message about the assassination of a prime minister encrypted in Moby Dick, I'll believe them."

Australian mathematician Brendan McKay did just that, locating no fewer than nine political assassinations secreted in the great novel, along with additional discoveries in War and Peace and other tomes (see cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/moby.html). American physicist David E. Thomas predicted the Chicago Bulls's NBA championship in 1998 from his code search of Leo Tolstoy's novel. He also recently unearthed "the Bible code is a silly, dumb, fake, false, evil, nasty, dismal fraud and snake-oil hoax" from Bible Code II

I just love that last sentence.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Which version / translation of the Bible and which code ?
    Or maybe it's the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Talmud or the Koran or other book..

probably not the dead sea scrolls or the koran, what with it being the Bible code and all.

It's also very interesting that all the predictions (or postdictions) seem to be concerned nearly specifically with Israeli or american history. although perhaps that's only the ones i've heard about.

he also has a fail safe, re the end of the world. apparently the predictions don't *have* to come through. so if/when the world doesn't end in 2006, he'll say that we managed to prevent it occuring.

cod mathematics, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by bonkey
    (note that not one psychic or astrologer forewarned us about 9/11)

Actually someone claimed to be psychic on the USENET a few weeks before it happened and told people something terrible was going to happen in NYC on the 9/11 and when it does happen 'they' (government) will come for them for warning others.

Might still be around, I remember it because a lot of people said they were going to report him.

However it turns out 9/11 was the best kept public secret before it happened. A kid in a local school told his class that the towers would not be there the next day, and there were a few other such reports of people warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

It's not genuine at all. It's such a big text and there are so many combinations of letters and the hebrew is interpreted that it's not a real prediction at all. They have found many 'predictions' in other texts. It's only because it's the bible. If someone found a similar code in the register of electrors (I'm sure you could) then it'd be ignored. People only believe it becuase they want to believe in miracles.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by irish1
    Bible is bollox, catholic church is bollox.

People can find whatever they want in the bible, it's so open to interpatation.

:D

You are an idiot.

I can prove this without codes, bibles or bollox.

1. You dont know what this thread is about and you still dont because...
    2. You didnt read the thread before jumping in with both feet.

Couple this with your outburst of completely off topic religious intolerance and I think the prosecution rests...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Agreed the irish1 probably missed the point, but the fact about interpretation is partially apt when it comes to the Bible Code. Many modern words would probably not have an ancient Hebrew word so the person searching for 'secret messages' would have a lot of leeway when it comes to reading the bible.

For example when trying to predict Clinton's presidency, he converted Clinton into Hebrew-alphabat and then found the word 'president' near it. But it was chief not president that was found, and he just read that off the bible, with no letter skipping involved. Not very propetic.

There are many examples of hidden messages eg: geNerAliZatIon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

By using codes you can show that Shakesperes did not write his own stuff - it was Julius Cesear !

I Knew It!!!

(BTW DeVore is right about Irish1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

For the record, theological scholars have rubbished these code claims. It's all a moneyspinner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement