Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite in Ongar?

Options
  • 03-07-2020 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    Please does anybody knows if in Ongar (stralem crescent) the houses has got pyrite?
    We saw an house that we are interested but we would like to know if the Ongar area is affected by the pyrite.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Some parts were affected but I would imagine they've all been treated & set right by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/residents-ongar-village-stuck-pyrite-15437143

Pretty sure a lot of this issue still hasn't been resolved, the big issue being the area was never handed back to the council and this has been dragging on for years, I saw recently even in relation to the bins in Ongar village that Fingal council couldn't empty them as the handover still hasn't gone through. Paul Donnelly & Cllr Daniel Whooley might be able to provide you with some info.

I'm pretty sure I read an article in the Irish times /Indo also which talked about Ongar village and the pyrite issues but cant find it, you can see walking down the main street there has been little to no work carried out since the place was originally built and large cracks across a lot of the buildings, I would be very careful purchasing down there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There was another thread about pyrite in Dublin 15 recently, here. I had spotted an ad on Daft for a house in Ongar where it was mentioned in the ad that it had pyrite issues and as a result was on sale for a very low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Vivok

There is no pyrite on Stralem Crescent in ongar. We underwent the full testing and it was conclusive there is absolutely none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PaulD3391

Hi. Buying a house in Delhurst Terrance. Has anyone heard anything about pyrite in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Is it known at what point Pyrite became an issue? it seemed to be begun to be dealt with in 2007, have the sites for the hardcore which pyrites or had pyrite came from in the hardcore been identified and the locations to which their products distributed?
    For some reason I took it that prior to 2004 this wasnt an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

1874 wrote: »
    Is it known at what point Pyrite became an issue? it seemed to be begun to be dealt with in 2007, have the sites for the hardcore which pyrites or had pyrite came from in the hardcore been identified and the locations to which their products distributed?
    For some reason I took it that prior to 2004 this wasnt an issue?

Construction of the “Ongar Village” area only began in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

Sold my house in Hayworth Mews last year which had been pyrite remediated under the government scheme.
    Some properties do have the tell tale signs with visible cracks up around the windows and doors. Mine looked fine from the outside but the floor had raised inches over the years.

Look at the footpath outside the property mine had raised. You can see the same in the carpark in Dunnes aswell. Neighbours across the road was fine so again it can be in the foundations but just not react bad enough to cause any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I would be conformable to buy a pyrite remediated property, a lot of estates in D15 are affected by pyrite and most home owners probably never bothered testing.

Advertisement