Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vulnerable Customer Unit

Options
  • 04-07-2019 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are delighted to announce the set up of  our new Vulnerable Customer Unit (VCU). Our dedicated team will be available to give extra support to customers facing challenging circumstances, including age-related or cognitive impairment, financial abuse, illness, and addiction, or life events such as separation and divorce.

The unit is aimed at improving the financial well-being and support of our vulnerable customers and providing guidance to our branch and digital staff enabling our customers and colleagues to thrive.

You can find out more here

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-establishes-vulnerable-customer-unit-as-cases-of-financial-abuse-rise-1.3945681

Any questions please feel free to post and we'll be happy to help

Many thanks,
    Kat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Afarren868

Hi Kat
    . My dad has an account with BOI letterkenny for many years. He lives in the North of Ireland. Just recently and more by accident it has come to attention that a member of the family has now added name to account as joint account holder with dad having had mums name removed. Dad has alzeimers and has absolutely no recollection he even has this account never mind changing status on account. These changes have been made fairly recently and we are at our wits end. It's too late for lasting power of attorney, we must apply to courts which can take up to 12 months. Also, all dads other bank accounts have been handed over to their Legal Department as this member of family has tried to access them unlawfully in dads earlier stages of alzeimers having removed a 3rd party mandate form from bank premises and getting elderly alzeimers parents to sign - both diagnosed. Can you suggest what avenue to take. We do not want any access to this account nor any financial details. We want to know when this change was made as the family member is adamant it was many years ago. Dad has no correspondence either for account, it may now be redirected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Afarren868,

We really appreciate you taking the time to get in touch and check this with us.

We're sorry to hear of your recent situation and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Is it okay for us to send you a private message here?

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gr1980

Will the VCU operate in Northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Gr1980,

Thanks for reaching out to us here about this.

We absolutely have a Vulnerable Customer Unit for our customers in NI and UK. Our customer service are available for all customer queries and our VCU will be there to give extra support and guidance.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Hi,I have an issue that the VCU may be able to help with. I'd rather not post the details publicly. Would it be possible for somebody to PM me on boards please.??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi papac

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Yes, certainly going to PM you now for further details to help you.

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 6 New Irelander

Hi all,

We are delighted to announce the set up of  our new Vulnerable Customer Unit (VCU). Our dedicated team will be available to give extra support to customers facing challenging circumstances, including age-related or cognitive impairment, financial abuse, illness, and addiction, or life events such as separation and divorce.

The unit is aimed at improving the financial well-being and support of our vulnerable customers and providing guidance to our branch and digital staff enabling our customers and colleagues to thrive.

You can find out more here

Any questions please feel free to post and we'll be happy to help

Many thanks,
    Kat
    Hello!
    I don't have a smartphone and even if I do my eyesight is no longer the best. I read somewhere that I should get a so called Physical Security Key in order to access my account. I tried login to 365 today hoping to see anywhere online where I could apply for that but in vain. Can someone please lead me to the solution?
    Kindly, Thanks!
    Wanie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Kindly, Thanks!
    Wanie
    Hi Wanie,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. 

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulty ordering a physical security key. If you log in and select "service desk" > "ask a question", one of our colleagues will be happy to order this out to you.

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard

Kindly, Thanks!
    Wanie
    Hi Wanie,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulty ordering a physical security key. If you log in and select "service desk" > "ask a question", one of our colleagues will be happy to order this out to you.

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for coming back to me.

Since my normal access no longer working, I went into my local bank today but they don't seem to have any clue when this "key" is going to available either!

But at least she showed me how to log in into my 365 again which failed me the last time I tried. The site I always used which was bookmarked on my computer is no longer working. She asked me to try directly from....bankofireland.com instead of .....365online.com which I did. 

Having managed to get in again - I followed your advice and wrote them the same note as I did to you. Hope to hear from them soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed! I will let you know if I succeeded.

Thanks again.

Kind regards
    Wanie

Kindly, Thanks!
    Wanie
    Hi Wanie,

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for coming back to me.

Since my normal access no longer working, I went into my local bank today but they don't seem to have any clue when this "key" is going to available either!

But at least she showed me how to log in into my 365 again which failed me the last time I tried. The site I always used which was bookmarked on my computer is no longer working. She asked me to try directly from....bankofireland.com instead of .....365online.com which I did. 

Having managed to get in again - I followed your advice and wrote them the same note as I did to you. Hope to hear from them soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed! I will let you know if I succeeded.

Thanks again.

Kind regards
    Wanie
    We're glad to hear this and we're sorry for any difficulty experienced. You can certainly continue to log in here until the key is sent out you. Feel free to get back in touch if we can help with anything else. 

Thanks,
    Richard

• Advertisement

Kindly, Thanks!
    Wanie
    Hi Wanie,

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Physical Security Key (PSK)

Hi Richard,

I wish I do not have to go back and bother someone with this but then they don't make it easy for non-smart gadget user do they?

I got my PSK and I have gone through the steps from 1. to 4. then was asked....

Step
    5. Once these steps are completed, log into 365 (address given) and follow the instructions which are clearly outlined on scree, to finish setting up the security key. As part of this process, you'll need to enter the last 4 digits of the serial number on the device. You'll find the serial number on the back of the physical key (see image below).

On this page 365 (address given)- I see no where to enter that last four digits of the serial number! Do I missed something?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and kind regards
    Wanie

Hi Wanie,

We're sorry to hear this. Can we ask what appears on your screen once you enter your details and go on to the next screen?

Thanks,
    Richard

Hi Wanie,

We're sorry to hear this. Can we ask what appears on your screen once you enter your details and go on to the next screen?

Thanks,
    Richard
    Hello Richard!

Thank you for your prompt reply! I am so glad you are there.

Unfortunately (although I have made screenshot) as a new member to this forum I don't seem to be allowed to attach anything....

*Your reply cannot be submitted if it contains images or URLs in an effort to combat spam*

not even a URL:-( (emoji not allowed either)

So let try to describe this to you...

THIS IS THE PAGE GIVEN ... WITH 3 LOGIN OPTIONS.... and none of the three leads me to PSK

Have you set up a security device yet?
    To comply with payment regulations, you now require an extra form of identification when using your online banking. The easiest way to do this is to set up your smartphone or tablet as a security device. From now on, you'll use it to confirm your identity every time you bank online.
    Login or more information (choose)

Like a popup window with these choices
    To set up a security device, you'll need:

Online banking has changed
    Why are we making these changes?
    Regulations have been introduced that affect all payment service providers. These laws will help fight fraud and make you even more secure online.
    How will this affect you?
    To help confirm your identity, we've added two-factor authentication to our security process. To complete it, you must first set up a security device - we recommend your smartphone or tablet.

We now use Strong Customer Authentication ( S C A)(SCA)
    How will it work?
    As well as entering your 3 6 5365 PIN, you must also accept a notification we send to your security device before you can complete certain banking activities. This is designed to help keep your financial information safe.
    Need help?
    Please see our
    for help with any queries you may have.

Let me know if I made myself clear to you here.

Thanks Richard!
    Wanie

Hi Wanie,

Thanks,
    Richard
    Hello Richard!

Unfortunately (although I have made screenshot) as a new member to this forum I don't seem to be allowed to attach anything....

*Your reply cannot be submitted if it contains images or URLs in an effort to combat spam*

THIS IS THE PAGE GIVEN ... WITH 3 LOGIN OPTIONS.... and none of the three leads me to PSK

To comply with payment regulations, you now require an extra form of identification when using your online banking. The easiest way to do this is to set up your smartphone or tablet as a security device. From now on, you'll use it to confirm your identity every time you bank online.

Regulations have been introduced that affect all payment service providers. These laws will help fight fraud and make you even more secure online.
    To help confirm your identity, we've added two-factor authentication to our security process. To complete it, you must first set up a security device - we recommend your smartphone or tablet.

How will it work?
    As well as entering your 3 6 5365 PIN, you must also accept a notification we send to your security device before you can complete certain banking activities. This is designed to help keep your financial information safe.
    Need help?
    Please see our

Thanks Richard!
    Wanie

I think I am running out of time! Any chance that Richard or someone else will be able to help me complete the PSK procedure?

Appreciate a reply to know where I am at.

Thanks and kind regards
    Wanie

Hi Wanie,

Thanks,
    Richard
    Hello Richard!

How will it work?
    Need help?
    Please see our

Thanks Richard!
    Wanie

I think I am running out of time! Any chance that Richard or someone else will be able to help me complete the PSK procedure?

Appreciate a reply to know where I am at.

Thanks and kind regards
    Wanie
    Thanks Wanie for checking back in with us. 

When logging in online, if you have ever had a digital device (smartphone or tablet) attached to your online banking, you will be greeted to login with the notification going to the device registered. 

If you have never had a digital device attached, you will be greeted with the option to order the PSK.   https://www.bankofireland.com/physical-security-key/

Of course, we can arrange for a colleague from our Online Team to give you a call and talk with you through the changes, if it's the PSK you are opting to use, a colleague can order this for you. 

Please send us a private message with your full name, contact number and Branch your account is linked to. 

If you have any difficulties sending PM, come back to us here and we'll send you a message. 

Hoping this is helpful to you.

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Provingmender

Morning all, I was wondering why me and a lot of other people are having trouble with with topping up their revolut and tap prepay master cards by doing online visa debit transactions???...it seems there being blocked on purpose,...but other transactions go through without any problems.

Morning all, I was wondering why me and a lot of other people are having trouble with with topping up their revolut and tap prepay master cards by doing online visa debit transactions???...it seems there being blocked on purpose,...but other transactions go through without any problems.
    Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch.

If the card is working with other retailers it is possible the fault could lie with Revolut. You can certainly have this checked out by calling 0818365365 or login to App, select Services and scroll to Send a Message, a colleague can check reason for decline with you. 

Hoping this helps, 

Many thanks,
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

So, my disabled 93-year-old mother called crying this morning only to tell me that she had blocked herself signing into her 365 account because she put in her old UserID rather than her new one recently added due to security requirements (I had been on that call with her and your agent). When she called long-distance from California to BOI in Dublin, she was cut off twice after giving a long list of verifying account numbers and details to two different gentlemen. She then called back again and spoke to a young woman who again asked for verifying information. After she had done so, mom said she was put on hold for over 20 minutes only to be then told since she only had small recurring pension payments on her account, they COULDN'T verify it was her!!!! She asked to speak to a supervisor, she said, but was placed on hold again and waited another 10 minutes without anyone picking up the line. She finally hung up and called me.

Let me get this straight--so if you are a Covid shut-in disabled elderly on limited income with very few transactions, stuck away from home overseas due to Covid, trying simply to access your account to print a recent statement and find if a solicitor's check has posted, you are out of luck!! She was told she has to use her debit card to create a transaction and then call back to use THAT as verification. So, my 93-year-old mother should get in her wheelchair and schlep out to a store to buy something, anything, so "secure" Bank of Ireland can verify it is her after she has already provided her name, her birthdate, her checking account number, her debit card number/code, the amount of her weekly pension payments, and the approximate amount of the expected solicitor's check?!!? Are you telling me that only rich people with multiple transactions can access their accounts if a simple mistake is made? I am so angry right now, I can't see straight.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards. We understand that you have been in touch with us over on our Facebook page and my colleague has responded to you there. Please be assured that we do certainly appreciate all feedback we receive from our customers.

Thanks Jen

Can't find their response yet, but will keep looking. Not to my FB Messenger or yet in Notifications. Sigh, will keep searching.

• Advertisement

Just had to leave a follow-up to the story of all this back and forth. Took my elderly Mom out to the grocery store in her wheelchair to make your required transaction to prove she is who she said she is. As we limit our outings due to Covid, figured that would be an easy transaction to make. Well, her card was declined at that store and again at the one next door! Aaaaaggh! What??? So, she was told to make a simple transaction and the card failed at 2 stores. If she were a holiday traveler with family, her debit card wouldn't work to buy groceries?

So we finally went to her American bank, used the debit card in the ATM and were, at last, able to withdraw $20 for which her bank charged a $5 foreign transaction fee! Thanks, BOI! Came home with the money, receipt and finally enough to satisfy BOI for sure, or so we thought. But that would be too easy!!

Now with an 8-hour time difference from California, we had to stay up until past midnight in order to make the necessary call to BOI Customer Service again to go through the rigamarole to confirm transaction for proof of identity. Mom, 93 years of age, who also has macular degeneration and glaucoma, asked the agent if I could again read out details for her because of failing eyes, as we had done in July and as I have done throughout US and with other Irish medical and financial institutions since becoming her F/T caregiver in 2008. "No," he said even though she would give verbal permission and we had done same in July. So I brought out her huge magnifying tool and she struggled through the reading of her account information. The agent wasn't too sure about her responses, hesitant though ACCURATE. Said this wouldn't do!! So she is calling at 1am from the US phone number she has always had associated with her account since opening, is disabled and near blind, has provided ALL accurate account info, plus recounted her recent ATM transaction, plus pension amounts and recent deposit, and--again--sacrosanct BOI thinks she hasn't "proved" herself! I got really angry and asked for a supervisor. We waited on hold for about 10 minutes long distance from California until finally our poor beleaguered agent came back on and said she could go ahead with PIN unblocking.

After countless days of trying, innumerable hoops she crawled through dragging her cane figuratively behind her, at a cost of time, anxiety and a few dollars, she finally was able to access her little account simply to print her statement and check her balance. 

So BOI is worried about money laundering and international fraud? I think they should be more worried about the long-time customers leaving in droves for banks with intelligent staff with some discernment and understanding of the needs of elderly customers! 'Nuff said!

Post edited by GearMaven on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TirnanOg15

Temporarily staying with family in America and have some questions; your agents helped me when I locked myself out twice since July:

1. Have US cell phone by company called Tracfone which does not allow international texting. If I buy an international card for it, however, I can use phone to make overseas calls but can't text. YOU can text ME however, and that has been working very well since we changed to more secure functions back in July. (I usually call from landline when I contact BOI. This landline was also listed in my account from beginning.) How can I get reminder of my User Id if I have mixed up current one with old one and now don't know which is which? I made mistake of only changing the last number in new User ID and now confused. So afraid of locking myself out of 365 online because it was very hard to get straightened out before. Could I call from here on landline or my cell phone and ask you to send reminder text re User ID to my US cell phone which IS listed in my account and which was confirmed in late September? Please advise.
    2. When I was signing onto 365 today, it said User ID or password were in error. So, I thought I typed User ID wrong and tried again. Said it again. So I was going to try what I thought was old User ID on the cell phone app, but when I opened the app, it only asked me to complete my 3 password numbers. When I entered the absolutely correct password numbers, it said it was incorrect and said I would be locked out if got it wrong again. So I have one more chance to get correctly logged in! But I'm confused...if the app only requested my password and not my User ID, does that mean it had saved my User ID automatically? Since I hadn't used the app since before last User ID change a week or so ago, could it have had old User ID saved as cookie and that is why it refused correct password? If not, I don't know why it refused login. Help!
    3. When I needed to confirm my account to unlock back in September, they needed a recent transaction to identify me. My daughter took me to local grocery store and I tried to use my debit card/ATM to purchase the groceries at a self-checkout terminal. It was denied. I tried at another store and it again was denied. When I did, however, go to a local bank and use the ATM outside, my card was accepted and I could withdraw cash. What might have caused the problem in the grocery stores? If I want to purchase anything while here, I don't want to be embarrassed by a card refusal at Macy's or a restaurant.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. I am not comfortable with all the technology but am trying my best. Appreciate your help.

Ethna

Hi Ethna

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

When you first register App on a device or delete and reinstall App, it will always ask you this once to put in the User ID and then 3 digits of the 6 digit PIN. Going forward,at login it will then only ask 3 digits of PIN and you do not need to input User ID.

The User ID would generally not change and always remain the same. Just to mention, if you have locked the login details, you would need to make an inbound call to an Advisor, they can reset by asking 3 digits of the PIN and if this fails, they can verify you and help you set a new PIN. Team are available on 0035314044000 - weekdays 9am-5pm. The debit card should work worldwide for you where the Visa logo is displayed. As it is not working for point of sale, if you call on above number they can help with login access and check reason why card is declining for you.

Hoping the above helps,

Many thanks,

Alison

Thank you for answering two of my questions--first in a very roundabout way. My daughter translated what you said for me in easier language.

To clarify for others: if you change your User ID because of being locked out, you must uninstall the 365 app and reinstall/setup the App again but with NEW User ID and your usual PIN. Do not try to use the App BEFORE doing this or you will get error I did with potential for being locked out again.

Re question 1 above, if US Tracfone cell phone does NOT permit international TEXTING, how can I get a Reminder of User ID? As said, it does allow International phone calls IF I buy a special international add-on card for that purpose. Is there another way to get User ID reminder if have confused latest changes? See copied from Tracfone at :https://support.tracfone.com/faqs/can-i-send-a-text-message-internationally?device=general-tracfone-account-help

"Can I send a text message internationally?

No, although your phone may support it, it is not offered by TracFone at this time."

Hi,

Thanks for checking back with us.

You may be getting confused a little between the User ID and the PIN. The User ID is the number that stays the same and the PIN is 6 digits whereby you will be asked 3 at login, this can be reset or changed if needed. When logging in for first time on App, the full User ID is input and then only 3 digits of the 6 digit PIN.

I'm afraid relating to the SMS option for User ID you would need to first check if your device /mobile provider. If it is not an international service they provide, you will need to give a call on 0035314044000 and a colleague can certainly relay this to you.

Hoping this helps,

Many thanks

Alison

Thank you for clarifying. Oh, no! Then I think I thought I was changing the User ID back in both July AND September, since both my User ID and PIN were 6 (six) characters! So no wonder I couldn't sign in again in September, but strange, I believe I signed in right after changing what I thought was the User ID in July! How could that have worked if I supposedly was changing the PIN instead. I know my notes show I thought I was changing the ID both times. I will definitely need to call on Monday because now I'm too afraid to enter anything into the login fields for fear of bring kicked out (I had one more try left), which is a miserable experience long distance. Wish they gave you a few more tries to login or had a much easier online process for verification and reminder of User ID or password for the elderly as in the US banking system. Must really have loads of criminals to make it so difficult at home. Thank you for your help.

Success! Just wanted to thank you, Alison, as I bit the bullet and tried one more time instead using what I thought was the User ID as my password and using my original User Id. It worked! You were very right that I was actually changing the password each time. Whew! At last I have access to my account, statements, etc. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi TirnanOg15,

We're happy to hear this is now resolved and working as it should. I'll ensure to pass on your thanks to Alison. If you need help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Hi, would someone please PM me, my mother in law has an issue that may fall under the VCU. Thanks

Advertisement