Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More knowledgeable peoples opinion please

Options
  • 05-03-2021 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking at getting a new board, CPU and Ram.
    I am looking at a Ryzen 5 3600, Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II Motherboard and Crucial Ballistix RGB 8GB x 2. On amazon.de for 392.08.
    Would you change anything or see any issue with this as a match for my GTX1660?
    Also what would you suggest as good value if i was to go for liquid cooling to try a bit of overclocking?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€189.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (€119.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €388.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-05 18:06 CET+0100

Watercooling is unnecessary for a Ryzen 5 unless you can't fit a big tower cooler like Arctic Freezer 50, Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4, be quiet! Dark Rock 4, Scythe Fuma 2.
    But if you want it, skip past 120/140mm and straight to 240mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

First what are you currently running ? How long of a life do you want out of your system ? Do you want an Upgrade path?

If your old PC is long in the tooth then do be aware AMD are dropping the AM4 socket this year . I was going to upgrade my system from tthe R7 1700 and X370 to the R7 5700x and a x570 system . Unfortunately it will be a dead end system with no upgrade path . So i dont see the point at the moment .

Now if you have to build a new system then i say what you want is fine . WHile not needed i would recommend and AIO to anyone who is overclocking . While your proposed system is a good system it wont push overclocks too far b4 hitting instability issues . You could get away with an air cooler but its better to ere on the side of caution . ALso ram is more benificial to the AM4 processors . So i would suggest looking into ram overcloking first . Then afterwords start CPU overclocking .

That said i would suggest researching overtclocking as no platform seems to act the same . ALso dont push things from the start . Slowly creep your way until your system becomes unstable and crashes . Keep an eye on temps and see where your systems happy place is . I have a first gen ryzen system on the x370 platform . It sits happily at 4ghz and my ram sits a 3200MHz . Running 10-15 degrees above ambient and gets to 50 degrees C when gaming . That said my system has a custom loop with 2 360 rads so cooling temps are not much of an issue . I could bush it a bit more but anything after its current 4ghz i get way higher temps and a lot of instability .

Advertisement