Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions regarding the security key for the new 365 online banking changes

Options
  • 13-01-2021 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Per the guide regarding the changes:
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/ways-to-bank/online-banking/online-banking-has-changed/

(1) Can you set up your smart phone as well as opt for the physical security key? The smart phone does have the convenience factor but I'd prefer not having a smart phone as an absolute requirement for online banking e.g. phones may fail, get lost etc.

(2) Assuming you opt for the physical security key:
    -Will it be simple mail delivery via the letter box or does it require someone present i.e. signed delivery?
    -Will it require its own unique PIN and a debit card / banking card for authentication? (thinking of another bank which uses a security key setup).
    -Estimated time for delivery once requested?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Champ wrote: »
    Hi,

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/ways-to-bank/online-banking/online-banking-has-changed/

(1) Can you set up your smart phone as well as opt for the physical security key? The smart phone does have the convenience factor but I'd prefer not having a smart phone as an absolute requirement for online banking e.g. phones may fail, get lost etc.

-Will it be simple mail delivery via the letter box or does it require someone present i.e. signed delivery?
    -Will it require its own unique PIN and a debit card / banking card for authentication? (thinking of another bank which uses a security key setup).

Thanks.
    Good morning,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

If you have access to our new mobile app, it would not be possible to have the physical security key too. I would recommend that customers use the mobile app rather than the PSK. 

If your smart phone happens to be lost/broken, you can provision a 2nd device belonging to a family member or a close friend. This means that your user ID will be registered on their phone and in the case that your phone is lost/broken, you can still access your account until you get a new phone. 

More information regarding the physical security key will be available and we will be in touch with customers who are not already registered on the new mobile app. The PSK will not require its own Debit Card.

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Hi,

Thanks.
    Good morning,

If you have access to our new mobile app, it would not be possible to have the physical security key too. I would recommend that customers use the mobile app rather than the PSK. 

If your smart phone happens to be lost/broken, you can provision a 2nd device belonging to a family member or a close friend. This means that your user ID will be registered on their phone and in the case that your phone is lost/broken, you can still access your account until you get a new phone. 

More information regarding the physical security key will be available and we will be in touch with customers who are not already registered on the new mobile app. The PSK will not require its own Debit Card.

Many thanks,
    Megan
    Hello Megan,

Could you please give an exact date as to when we will not be able to access our online banking without either the new App or the PSK ? I need to know because I am currently in Germany and I do not have a smart phone. Can a PSK be sent to an address in Germany ? Also do I understand that the PSK can be used without having to insert a debit card or credit card into it ? I am hoping to return to Ireland at the end of March, can it be arranged somehow that my account is not altered until a later date?  

Many Thanks

Morgan The Moon. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Hi,

Thanks.
    Good morning,

Many thanks,
    Megan
    Hello Megan,

Could you please give an exact date as to when we will not be able to access our online banking without either the new App or the PSK ? I need to know because I am currently in Germany and I do not have a smart phone. Can a PSK be sent to an address in Germany ? Also do I understand that the PSK can be used without having to insert a debit card or credit card into it ? I am hoping to return to Ireland at the end of March, can it be arranged somehow that my account is not altered until a later date?  

Many Thanks

Morgan The Moon. 
    Good afternoon Morgan The Moon.

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie. 

Over the next few days, we will be updating our website in line with PSD2 requirements. This means that strong customer authentication is required when logging into your online banking. 

When you log into our original desktop website, you will be directed to a page which will ask you if you have the mobile app or not. If you select no, you will be brought to our original desktop website. You can order a physical security key from here.

The physical security key will be sent to the address we have on file whether it be an Irish or International address. You can change your address through the 365 Online Service Desk option. A Visa Debit Card is not required for this. 

If you require any further assistance, please log into the 365 Online website, select Service Desk and then Ask a Question option. Alternatively, you can call my colleagues on our mobile migration team on 0035312500362. One of my colleagues will be happy to help.

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Hello Megan,
                        We phoned through to your colleagues and they were really helpful. We managed to get concise information and hopefully all will work as described.

Thanks for your help.

Morgan The Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi Megan,

Okay so I set up the Mobile Banking App on my phone.
    It's activated and working fine, I can view my accounts etc on my phone.

So I go to the laptop and go to the 365online home page.
    I log in to the same old site with no changes?
    As in I enter the normal details from before and get presented with the same 365 site I've known for years with no changes either to the authentication process or how the site looks which has the same look and feel.

The guide says "When you log on to 365 online for the first time, you will be asked to set up your “security device”."
    I was never asked to set up a security device.

So my phone has zero interaction with my laptop login.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that the new site isn't live yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi Megan,

Okay so I set up the Mobile Banking App on my phone.
    It's activated and working fine, I can view my accounts etc on my phone.

So I go to the laptop and go to the 365online home page.
    I log in to the same old site with no changes?
    As in I enter the normal details from before and get presented with the same 365 site I've known for years with no changes either to the authentication process or how the site looks which has the same look and feel.

The guide says "When you log on to 365 online for the first time, you will be asked to set up your “security device”."
    I was never asked to set up a security device.

So my phone has zero interaction with my laptop login.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that the new site isn't live yet?
    Thanks Champ for coming back to us. 

That's right, once the update has taken place you will then see the changes to the site at login stage.

Hoping this helps 

Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dimma

Bank of Ireland Reps,, query for you.

Question in regards new 365 desktop login.
    so at present myself and my girlfriend have access to my 365 account online.
    We both have the app on our respective phones (mine being the number it sent the message to set up her phone as my number is one on file in account,,..Think you can have up to 7 devices..correct me if I am wrong?) 
    Not a huge fan of the app but thats another conversation.

question is as follows.
    If my girlfriend is at home and I am at work and she wants to access 365 online on the laptop (we perfer to pay bills etc via the PC version)
    will it send a message to her phone or mine or both as both phones have app associated with account and are secure devices.
    I am hoping you say both as both have the app on their phone??? otherwise it kinda locks the online version down to one person so what about joint accounts where two people need access to the same account (only one phone number is allowed on system)

Hope this makes sense 

hope to hear back on this query. sure loads of people in this boat as husbands/wife need access the same 365 account online on the laptop etc but not always in same room/house/work/home etc.....
    Thanks for your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi dimma 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. 

If you have a sole account and choose more than one secure device to access your banking with us, when logging in it will give you the option to select which secure device you would like the push notification to go to. Just a gentle note to mention we recommend not sharing your personal login details. 

Customers that have a joint account with us, each party to account will have their own separate login details and their own individual online profile. This will allow each account holder to access the joint account along with their other sole accounts they may have with us. Each customer will have their own mobile number registered and activated on their profile.

Hoping the information here answers your queries. Any further queries, please feel free to come back to us. 

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Question here for the reps about having 2 365 logins on the one device:

I have a personal BOI account, which I use the 365 app for. I also have a business account, for which I have a separate 365 login details for, but for which I never used the app for.

So the app is currently registered to my personal account. But now, if I want to access my business account, I'll need to register my business account login details to the app - will this overwrite my personal account details, or can both "profiles" operate on the one device? If not, each time I want to login into either account, will I need to unregister and re-register the business/personal account details and vice versa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Wowy,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today on Boards.ie.

You can absolutely have multiple user IDs on your own app. Each one would need to be registered separately, however, this would not overwrite any other User IDs that you have registered. 

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hello,

I have questions about the physical key. In the PDF linked to via https://personalbankin...banking-has-changed/ it says it's a small handheld device. How small, is it a USB stick, will it fit on my key ring? Is there a fee for it?

Also, I too have both a personal and business account, will the one key work for both or will I need two?

Hello,

I have questions about the physical key. In the PDF linked to via https://personalbankin...banking-has-changed/ it says it's a small handheld device. How small, is it a USB stick, will it fit on my key ring? Is there a fee for it?

Also, I too have both a personal and business account, will the one key work for both or will I need two?
    Hi MrCostington,

This device would be a bit smaller than the palm of your hand. There would be no fee to order this device.

If these accounts are on two different 365 profiles, you would need to order a PSK for each User ID. Rest assured if you use the app, both of these accounts can be registered to the same device.

Thanks,
    Richard

Hello,

Hi MrCostington,

This device would be a bit smaller than the palm of your hand. There would be no fee to order this device.

If these accounts are on two different 365 profiles, you would need to order a PSK for each User ID. Rest assured if you use the app, both of these accounts can be registered to the same device.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Thanks Richard for the prompt reply.

Can you provide more info on it please, does it plug into my PC, does it need batteries etc?

With all due respect, both here and on the Play Store, the app has, shall I say, less than favorable reviews, so I would like to be better informed as to which route I go.

Thanks.

Can you provide more info on it please, does it plug into my PC, does it need batteries etc?

With all due respect, both here and on the Play Store, the app has, shall I say, less than favorable reviews, so I would like to be better informed as to which route I go.

Thanks.
    Thanks for getting back to us.

The easiest way to log in would be to use your mobile phone because you probably always have that to hand. The mobile phone can be registered as a Security Device by downloading our Mobile Banking App. A tablet or iPad can also be used as a security device. 

The PSK itself would not need to be plugged in and it does not need to be charged. The battery life itself would depend on how often the device is used. We appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks.

If I try the app, can I change to the PSK later?

Thanks.

If I try the app, can I change to the PSK later?
    You're very welcome MrCostington,

The PSK would only be available for customers who have never had the app. Rest assured we're always happy to help if you run into difficulty and our dedicated app team are available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, and weekends 10am-4pm to help.

We hope this helps.

Thanks, 
    Richard

Advertisement