Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak after county council put down pipes on my property

Options
  • 24-10-2020 4:20pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello. Almost 2 years about my local CC asked if they could built a footpath using some of my land out the front. I said ok and they put down a new tarmac drive for me for being a good sport. While they were at it they realised I had old lead pipes and replaced them. Now those pipes seem to have sprung a leak. I've a constant pool of water out the front.  It's at the point where the new pipes meet the old pipes. I don't have a water meter so will be quickly unnoticing this if I've to dig up the new tarmac myself. I'll make a water feature out of it. Any idea what one should do? Should the CC come back and fix it? Thanks. 

EDIT: to be clear, the leak is very much on my property, not on the public road.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 485 Verified rep Irish Water: Allanah

Hi dory,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

We're sorry to hear that. Irish Water are responsible for maintaining the public water and waste water network. As the leak is on your property, this would not fall under Irish Water's remit to resolve. We recommend that you contact a registered plumber to repair this.

Thanks,
    Allanah

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

Hi dory,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

We're sorry to hear that. Irish Water are responsible for maintaining the public water and waste water network. As the leak is on your property, this would not fall under Irish Water's remit to resolve. We recommend that you contact a registered plumber to repair this.

Thanks,
    Allanah
    And what about the first fix free scheme as part of the leak reduction programme?

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Irish Water: Jose

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately, she isn't eligible for the fist fix because she doesn't have a water meter.

You are eligible for the First Fix Free scheme if you are a domestic customer with:

- A confirmed leak on your external supply pipe
    - A water meter installed on your property
    - Are registered with Irish Water
    - Have a working and accessible inside stop valve

Please check: https://www.water.ie/for-home/first-fix/

Thus, in this situation, it is outside of our remit to resolve.

Thanks,
    Jose

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for pointing that out Joe.

That's really unfortunate. I would have a meter only the people installing them didn't want to do it as it was out on the main road and would have meant closing the road. I was fully paid up on my water bills before the bills stopped.

But now that leak is just gonna stay leaking forever and ever.

Advertisement