Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision time

Options
  • 17-08-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I went on an intense training course to become a tiler. I have a few jobs to do at home to fine-tune skills and was going to go out on my own. I was offered a job today in sales . Money not great about 400 pw plus commission. I would say another 100 pw in comission is probably pushing it to max. I would prefer tiling I think but it's hard to turn down regular cash. I don't need a lot. Mortgage paid and redundancy put by. What do I do.aaaahhhhhhhh. I knew I would be offered a job as soon as I decided I was tiling. Aaaahhhhh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sales by day, tiler in the evening and weekends until it gets off the ground. I couldn't get a tiler for love nor money the last time I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Was thinking the same but job doesn't finish til 6 and really does anyone want to mess about with a tiler over 4 evenings instead of a day and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Was thinking the same but job doesn't finish til 6 and really does anyone want to mess about with a tiler over 4 evenings instead of a day and a half.

I'd rather 4 evenings after work over a day and a half - a day and a half means me taking potentially 2 days out of my holidays - evenings would defo suit better!

Getting any tradesman these days is verging on impossible - no one wants to do the little jobs that a lot of us just can't do ourselves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Do it yourself and go tiling. If your confident your work is good then you'll have no problem picking up jobs. Advertising is key to it really but its difficult to get a tiler and you'd make 500 quid in two days for what the sales job is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think take the job, if it turns out there is enough demand in tiling nothing stopping you from quitting job in a few months.
    In the meantime can do some odd jobs evenings and weekend if you are happy to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you go down the sales route you'll probably end up completely focused on that and wreaked by the end of the day.

There'll always be sales jobs out there. If you really want to be a tiler and have trained up, I'd say go for it.

I also had a really hard time getting a tiler in a few years ago when I was getting my kitchen done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

If you're confident of your abilities approach a few tile shops and have a chat with the managers leaving your name and number, you're in a good position to start off now as you've no mortgage and a few bob put aside, cheap start up costs and you've an interest in the job which is worth a lot, tiling is the one trade i have ever any problems pinning down to do jobs, they're like hens teeth these days, fortune favours the brave as they say

I was really hoping not to be offered a job for a couple of months tbh. That way I could give tiling a go and see was it for me as a career. But it's hard to turn down regularly money even if it's not that good. Have to make my mind up by Thursday. I feel sleepless nights coming.forgot to mention the sales job involves weekend work which rules out weekend tiling to suit people working all week

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you?

Being on the tools full time is pretty hard in the body: fine when you're 30 maybe, not so much at 50.

How old are you?

Being on the tools full time is pretty hard in the body: fine when you're 30 maybe, not so much at 50.

47. Was planning on maybe working 4- 4.5 days a week tiling to give the body a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement