Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I qualify for a medical card?

Options
  • 13-08-2020 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

So I'm 22 and though live with my parents and going to college, don't work at the moment. I'm always reluctant to fork out €60+ for a GP.

I've heard that I can get a medical card/GP card (if those are different) but I heard that's only if you're financially disadvantaged. Although I don't have a job, my family isn't poor by any means.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say your chances of getting a medical card are vanishingly remote. None of my kids managed to get one despite periods of unemployment or low wages in the early days. Its not so much a matter of 'you can't have one' as pushing the application on and on till eventually you get a job, so you are not entitled anyway, your parents put you on their insurance or you give up. Not sure if it makes it any easier if parents have medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

If your a student you should be able to see the college doctor for free. Not sure if all colleges have a doctor but the university I went to had an on campus medical centre that was free for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

So I'm 22 and though live with my parents and going to college, don't work at the moment. I'm always reluctant to fork out €60+ for a GP.

I've heard that I can get a medical card/GP card (if those are different) but I heard that's only if you're financially disadvantaged. Although I don't have a job, my family isn't poor by any means.

Gp visits were free in College.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

they probably count parents income

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭bmc58

Don't get sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

From the Application Form - paragraph 2 applies to you.

I am aged between 16 and 25. How do I apply?

1. If you have a weekly income of less than €164 and
    you are either living with your parent(s) or living away
    from their home attending school or college, and your
    parent(s) has a Medical Card or a GP Visit Card, you
    must complete Parts 1A, 1C, 1D, 5, and 6 of this form.
    Your doctor of choice must complete Part 6A.

2. If you have a weekly income of less than €164 and
    you are either living with your parent(s) or living away
    from their home attending school or college, and your
    parent(s) don’t have a Medical Card or a GP Visit Card,
    your parent(s) must complete all parts of this form.

3. If you have a weekly income of €164 or more, you must
    complete all parts of this form.

4. If you live away from your parental home for any reason
    other than attending school or college, you must
    complete all parts of this form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Like the above poster states...

If you are 16 to 25 years old, and have an income of less than €164 per week, you're assessed on your parent or guardians income. They must submit a full application means test in order for you to be assessed.

If you work and have an income of €164 or more, you can be assessed independently.

Advertisement