Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

One step closer

519243.jpg

519244.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

What are you using to clean/polish the crank and chrome parts?

CormacH94 wrote: »
    What are you using to clean/polish the crank and chrome parts?

https://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/aluminium-alloy-brass-steel-11pc-bench-grinder-metal-polishing-kit-6-x-1-2/

You'd need a bench grinder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

cletus wrote: »
    I think I'm missing something here. Might be the wine, though...

Had few when replying - that's the donor crank?

Apologies, I hadn't noticed that the ring wasn't straight.

saccades wrote: »
    Had few when replying - that's the donor crank?

Apologies, I hadn't noticed that the ring wasn't straight.

No apologies necessary, the ring was perfectly straight, just one tooth bent. Straightened it up, and gave it a lick of a file, good as new.

They are indeed the doner cranks, and well they look too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Made all the final little tweaks to my spare parts build yesterday.

Adjusted the spongy brakes, dialled in the rear indexing and took off the naff specialized (frame is very much not a specialized!) sticker someone had lacquered on. Had to re-apply the lacquer so it’s in the shed drying off now!

Before and after in one photo

519334.jpg

Last step is to pick a set of tyres

519423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,652 ✭✭✭✭dahat

New tyre, new cassette, good old clean and lube for a big weekend on the bike.

However the drivetrain now feels a little rough and the chain is fine so I fear I need a new 52t chainring, not best pleased as they ain't exactly easy find on short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Last step is to pick a set of tyres

It's gotta be a set of tan walls right!? :D

Put bar tape on the bike for its maiden spin in the morning.

Also 3D printed an aerobar mounted Garmin mount. Works quite well!

• Advertisement

Well, I've a set of these to install yet, so I might leave it at black

519509.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time replacing the internal gear cables on the bike last night. Thought I'd done a decent job but obviously made a bags of it as loads of FD rub on my spin today and needs a readjust. What was nice was that there was an internal cable guide which meant I didn't need to use any magnets for the routing. Less nice was that it was a bit clogged with crap at the end and needs replacing next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

New chainring arrived today so off for a maiden voyage, no major mishaps but the crank arm did fall off as I forgot the nut. :P

Happy out with how she handles on those big 38mm tyres it's like floating on a cushion of air. :)

A few little bits to tidy up but I'm calling it done and onto the next one. :D

Oh it needs to be christened also. ;)

50109033177_b6ce92b491_c.jpg
    50108224763_8940dfd8e5_c.jpg
    50109111513_6a546c5ce5_c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

today i fixed punctures for the first time in decades. as in, i patched tubes. i must be exceptionally lucky, i've managed to puncture at the rate of just over one per year; i've amassed 9 punctures in 7 years. have just been hanging the tubes up in the garage, got 5 of them patched this evening. four of them seemed not worth repairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

today i fixed punctures for the first time in decades. as in, i patched tubes. i must be exceptionally lucky, i've managed to puncture at the rate of just over one per year; i've amassed 9 punctures in 7 years. have just been hanging the tubes up in the garage, got 5 of them patched this evening. four of them seemed not worth repairing.

I ran gatorskins for too long. Horrible tyres but no punctures . None.

I’ve just moved to Pirelli p zero 4S and the difference is incredible.

Do sticky and great in the wet.

I’ll probably puncture tomorrow now but so far 200k or so all is well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least two of the punctures i had were snakebites, i just got lax about tyre pressure.

Placed an order this morning for new handlebar and tape. Figured I'd have a look at the old bar, see how and where it bent. Pulled off the old tape (slowly) and got as far as the shifter.

Turns out the bar wasn't bent, but the shifter had moved inwards on the bar, wrinkling the tape in the process. Both of these gave the bar the appearance of being bent.

Got back onto Bike24 quick as I could, cancelled the order (luckily enough it hadn't shipped yet), repositioned the shifter, and rewrapped the tape.

Job oxo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Turns out the bar wasn't bent, but the shifter had moved inwards on the bar, wrinkling the tape in the process. Both of these gave the bar the appearance of being bent.

Thanks be to God that orange bar tape wasn't damaged......;):pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fitted mudguards and that took far longer than it ought to have (discs brake adapter and hangover to blame), fitted a rear rack and wired up a dynamo onto the tour de fer.

Wrapped the bars and gave it new shoes so it's all brown.

Waiting on a new front rack now and need to find my rear dynamo

Fitted some wonky bars and new bar tape for upcoming trip. :)

50167919567_6b7c521938_w.jpg

• Advertisement

How do you find the podsacs stuff. I'm thinking of picking up some of it for a trip next summer

How do you find the podsacs stuff. I'm thinking of picking up some of it for a trip next summer

I wouldn't say it's bad but built to a price point. I had to get the bar extender to stop it buzzing the tyre. Apidura would be great but the price is steep. I have an endura rear saddle pack and the quality difference is night and day. I also have the top tube lower bag and fork bags/rack these are very good for the price but they're a lot smaller than advertised not that you'd want much weight on your forks either way.

I'll probably use them to failure and the invest in some better gear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can't for the life of me get my podsac (I've the exact same one) to stay remotely neat on any bike.

Even with under bartape cables, the cables that are there seem to be in the way, preventing me from properly attaching it.

I have a woho rear bag. It's good quality, but fiddly. They do have brilliant stabiliser thing though for rear bags too

Anyway, i fit a front rack to my new genesis today. Just need new cages now and I'm set.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me get my podsac (I've the exact same one) to stay remotely neat on any bike.

Even with under bartape cables, the cables that are there seem to be in the way, preventing me from properly attaching it.

I have a woho rear bag. It's good quality, but fiddly. They do have brilliant stabiliser thing though for rear bags too

Anyway, i fit a front rack to my new genesis today. Just need new cages now and I'm set.

Yeah it's a bit of a mess the straps seem to be in all the wrong places. I ended up getting one of these to secure it better and it somewhat works now. One thing to note though I carry my tent in that bag and you'll want to have a very small tent or very wide bars as you don't get a whole lot between standard road bars. Flared bars are definitely required if you want a bit of comfort and not have to jam your finger into gaps.

5cff0e9e99207f4ec00171be-large.jpg?cache_buster=93d3af921055ff87d4e6e45bfde5b41c

Te restrap bags are very good particularly the saddle bag but big money again.

https://eu.restrap.com/

The alpkit stuff seems to get good reviews also

https://alpkit.com/collections/bikepacking

So today I put tubes and tyres on the Muddy Fox, and took it for its first spin in 30 years.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement, but I'd like to especially thank saccades and Iwillhtfu, both of whom contributed materially to this rebuild. Thank you again, I am indebted to you both.

I still have the wheel discs to put on, but I couldn't resist trying it out

521678.jpg

That is class. Well done and may it bring you smiles for miles ��

Ok, I promise these are the last pictures :D

A final before and after

521708.jpg

521709.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

I've been looking forward to these photos.

That's class, really nice job (with updates throughout the build too). Perfect for pottering and the pub.

Happy to know those bits have been saved from the bin too.

today i realised that my carbon seat post on one of my bikes is cracked. don't know when it happened, main suspect is that i overtightened the clamp at some point.
    thankfully it's in one of my steel bikes and is a standard 27.2mm post so should be easily replaced.

the crack runs prefectly vertically right along the cut in the seat tube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Ok, I promise these are the last pictures :D

A final before and after

521708.jpg

521709.jpg

Nice to see your bike featured on the GCN Tech Show :D

Advertisement