Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked door removal

Options
  • 30-06-2020 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi all,key broke in locked door,removed pins off hinges,but because door is locked I can't remove door...do I need to cut door to get to lock??

Any advice appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Took barrel out of hinge,bit of give,but I presume it won't budge because door is locked??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

niallo76 wrote: »
    Hi all,key broke in locked door,removed pins off hinges,but because door is locked I can't remove door...do I need to cut door to get to lock??

Any advice appreciated..

I had a key locked an internal door that wouldn't unlock. It was a glass door so options were limited. I took architrave off and tried guntering the lock. As it was costly and glass I got a locksmith , he tried popping door open with an inflatable, he ended up removing lock cover and drilled the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I think the handiest way would be to get a locksmith in. But if you want to do it your self, remove the architrave and stop bead, remove the screws holding the frame push or pull the door and frame out. It's a lot of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

Even with the door locked it should pry out, try gripping the hinge on the door itself and pull the door towards you or better if you can get somene on the other side and push the door out on the hinge side.
    Another option is use two coat hangers with a small bent over end on it until you can flick the snib back inside if its a basic type lock.
    Another way is to get a skinny disc in a grinder and try get it between the door and frame and cut the snib off, adviable to try wedge the door over as close to the hinge side to give a bit of room so you dont burn the side of the door or frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Can you still see the remains of the key in the lock?
    Using a small needle nose pliers would it be possible to turn it to align with the keyhole?
    Then push the remains of the key out?

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The first and easiest step is to, of course, see if you can get the broken key out of the lock. Assuming it broke somewhere along the shaft, a q-tip with a daub of blu-tac should be enough to turn the key to the right alignment and pull it back, if you take your time.

I'm surprised with the pins out of the hinge like that, that you can't lever the door out of the frame on the hinge side. It's an internal door and the mortice for the lock isn't exactly engineered to minute tolerances, so assuming the door wasn't a tight fit to begin with, you should be able to get it out. Big flathead screwdriver or a thin pry-bar to lever it out of the frame by the hinges would help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Personally I would lever the door as much as possible towards the hinge side so that I could get a 4” grinder in to cut through the brass part that engages with the door frame. This should be a quick simple solution and should not cause any collateral damage if done carefully.

Advertisement