Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turbo sound whoo diagnostic

• 23-06-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

friend of mine has as well passat 1.9 tdi 105cv b6

And it does this sound on releasing the gas...doesnt matter if cold or hot..

No performance issues qhat so ever

https://www.dropbox.com/s/boika8o6y5m2f6s/hukacka.mp3

Is it normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Bikerguy wrote: »
    friend of mine has as well passat 1.9 tdi 105cv b6

And it does this sound on releasing the gas...doesnt matter if cold or hot..

No performance issues qhat so ever

https://www.dropbox.com/s/boika8o6y5m2f6s/hukacka.mp3

Is it normal?

Has he just recently got it?
    Loads of lads love the aul choooooooo in a diesel
    Same lads that drive up and down in their town all day everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Has he just recently got it?
    Loads of lads love the aul choooooooo in a diesel
    Same lads that drive up and down in their town all day everyday

Nope he has it over year....

Is it a faulty turbo or just ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Pigeon stuck in the engine bay.

They get drawn in there in those diesels by the smell of stale tayto and redbull emanating from the cabin.

Nope he has it over year....

Is it a faulty turbo or just ok

Just sounds like a decat or straight pipe.
    You'd know if there was a vacuum issue in the turbo there'd be an issue with boost.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Pigeon stuck in the engine bay.

They get drawn in there in those diesels by the smell of stale tayto and redbull emanating from the cabin.

you forgot they particularly enjoy the smell of John player, and get blinded by the black smoke emanating for the rear.

• Advertisement

Just sounds like a decat or straight pipe.
    You'd know if there was a vacuum issue in the turbo there'd be an issue with boost.

Defo no straight pipe.... or decat....

Its like blow of valve...owl like..sound when turbo release presure.. as in the short sound clip....

So now on serious note... the car has no performance issue or oil consumption.... 0 just the sound....

Car is not smoking at all...

Defo no straight pipe.... or decat....

Its like blow of valve...owl like..sound when turbo release presure.. as in the short sound clip....

So now on serious note... the car has no performance issue or oil consumption.... 0 just the sound....

Tdi never came with a blow off valve, be fairly easy spot if one was added to it.
    Does it make the sound if reved and released while not moving

Tdi never came with a blow off valve, be fairly easy spot if one was added to it.
    Does it make the sound if reved and released while not moving

No..not at all...

Only when driving....under load....more in 2 and 3 gear...then higher speeds.

No..not at all...

Only when driving....under load....more in 2 and 3 gear...then higher speeds.

not a blow off valve so it would do it when ever boost was built and throttle released .
    Hmmm upgraded turbo by previous owner maybe, you should feel a vacuum leak if it was that.

not a blow off valve so it would do it when ever boost was built and throttle released .
    Hmmm upgraded turbo by previous owner maybe, you should feel a vacuum leak if it was that.

There is no power difference between stock...and his...i have b6 as well.... i drove it...mine is stock ....

No leak.... at all... i mean no sound on building boost...only when realeasing the pedal or changing gear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That is the sound of gas passing the impellor of a variable-vane turbocharger when you lift off the accelerator - diesels don't have "throttles", BTW. Such sounds are largely tuned out by engineers, and sometimes tuned back in again via straight-pipe kits, as in your case. It's quite harmless.

jimgoose wrote: »
    That is the sound of gas passing the impellor of a variable-vane turbocharger when you lift off the accelerator - diesels don't have "throttles", BTW. Such sounds are largely tuned out by engineers, and sometimes tuned back in again via straight-pipe kits, as in your case. It's quite harmless.
    Thank you very much

Didn't they have an issue with sticking vanes actually.
    Also we all know I meant the peddle when I said throttle like most Irish call it, same way an American would call it the gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Didn't they have an issue with sticking vanes actually.
    Also we all know I meant the peddle when I said throttle like most Irish call it, same way an American would call it the gas.

A lot of modern-ish diesels do have these sorts of sticky-tar problems - give it a good shot of Dipetane and redden the hole of it. Also, would that "gas" be gasoline or exhaust gas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

If the car has been remapped, you can get a bit of a Coo out of it. No harm.

Advertisement