Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding bike stock

Options
  • 15-06-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey guys, I've been looking for a bike for the last few weeks but it seems like most places are sold out. I've been looking at vitus, giant and trek bikes mostly. Are there certain points during the year when manufacturers/shops put more stock on the market or is it just a shortage at the moment with the pandemic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Peck3277 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been looking for a bike for the last few weeks but it seems like most places are sold out. I've been looking at vitus, giant and trek bikes mostly. Are there certain points during the year when manufacturers/shops put more stock on the market or is it just a shortage at the moment with the pandemic?

Bicycles are the new toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18

Lemming wrote: »
    Bicycles are the new toilet paper.

canyon seem to have stock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Shortage caused by two things.

1. Covid 19 has caused the bike market to explode.

2. New models usually released from about August onwards meaning current models would have been selling out to make way for new stock, this happened quicker because of issue number 1 which the bike manufacturers couldn't react to in time.

Looks like from July onwards new models will be hitting the shops. Trek have already started shipping 2021 models of their road bikes I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

So the 2021 models start to sell in the late half of 2020? I just presumed Jan would be when they come out. Is there a general good point in the season for stock? Would retailers usually have new season stock in say Sept/Oct?

I was hoping to buy around now and have a few months of biking in the good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Peck3277 wrote: »
    So the 2021 models start to sell in the late half of 2020? I just presumed Jan would be when they come out. Is there a general good point in the season for stock? Would retailers usually have new season stock in say Sept/Oct?

It's typically 2nd half the of the year when next years models start to surface at shows and/or be made available to the public (usually not long after in any case).
    I was hoping to buy around now and have a few months of biking in the good weather.

The combination of covid-19 and good weather has lead to insane levels of demand for bikes. Combine that with ramping down of current stock in preparation for incoming years models and , well, see my previous comment. Nothing for it but to wait for stock at this point. I know of a few bike shops near where I live (Sheffield, UK so not much use to you) that have just received, or are expecting to shortly receive, stock deliveries. It'll happen, you might just need to wait a little bit longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

It's typically 2nd half the of the year when next years models start to surface at shows and/or be made available to the public (usually not long after in any case).

The combination of covid-19 and good weather has lead to insane levels of demand for bikes. Combine that with ramping down of current stock in preparation for incoming years models and , well, see my previous comment. Nothing for it but to wait for stock at this point. I know of a few bike shops near where I live (Sheffield, UK so not much use to you) that have just received, or are expecting to shortly receive, stock deliveries. It'll happen, you might just need to wait a little bit longer.

Nothing for it just to wait then! Gives me a bit more time to change decide on which I want, cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I know of a few bike shops near where I live (Sheffield, UK so not much use to you) that have just received, or are expecting to shortly receive, stock deliveries. It'll happen, you might just need to wait a little bit longer.

I wonder if this is 2020 stock and if other shops are replenishing their 2020 stock before waiting till 2021 gear is ready. Ive been looking for same bikes as OP for past 2 months and nothing, it seems strange that they haven't started up manufacturing and sending out bikes and are going to wait till Aug/Sept because of the 2021 season even though there is obviously huge demand still right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Demand is huge but manufacturing globally has been impacted. Factories have either been shut for months or operating with reduced staff. That then applies to every other business along the chain from the bike being made to landing in your local shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18

roughly when will the 2021 bikes be announced/ listed on websites? Does anyone know about Canyon specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

ec18 wrote: »
    roughly when will the 2021 bikes be announced/ listed on websites? Does anyone know about Canyon specifically

Usually August, however Trek have been releasing them since start of June and Commencal have been showing the new meta this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Looks like chain reaction have new stock in now!

Advertisement