Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found my old Post Office Savings Deposit Account (Green Booklet) from 1998

Options
  • 23-06-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

It has one Lodgement of £20 pounds. Do you think I can withdraw it now? 22 Years later :D I was 8 at the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

try it, just bring ID with you

i remember i withdrew money from one that had been sat around for 12 years or so in like 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Of course you can but it may not be a case of strolling into the post office and withdrawing it.

Had something similar with and old book and needed to file a form in and send it off with the old book to get the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I Googled 'dormant accounts an post' and got this ...

How do I reclaim my money from the Dormant Accounts Fund?

The Act states that An Post must, within 28 days of receipt of a claim, request from the NTMA the return of the money transferred. The NTMA will return the funds to An Post within 21days. An Post will then return the proceeds of the account or investment to the customer within 7 days. In total, it may take up to 56 days for a claim from the Dormant Accounts Fund to be processed. Interest, if applicable, will continue to be earned up to the date of repayment.

Who Should I contact if I have further enquiries regarding Dormancy?

Please contact our customer call centre on 1850 30 50 60 where the operators will be happy to deal with your query.

https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Savings+and+Investments/Dormant+Account+FAQs.htm

And this ....

https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/what-is-the-procedure-to-reactivate-a-dormant-acco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

coylemj wrote: »
    I Googled 'dormant accounts an post' and got this ...

How do I reclaim my money from the Dormant Accounts Fund?

The Act states that An Post must, within 28 days of receipt of a claim, request from the NTMA the return of the money transferred. The NTMA will return the funds to An Post within 21days. An Post will then return the proceeds of the account or investment to the customer within 7 days. In total, it may take up to 56 days for a claim from the Dormant Accounts Fund to be processed. Interest, if applicable, will continue to be earned up to the date of repayment.

Who Should I contact if I have further enquiries regarding Dormancy?

Please contact our customer call centre on 1850 30 50 60 where the operators will be happy to deal with your query.

https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Savings+and+Investments/Dormant+Account+FAQs.htm

And this ....

https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/what-is-the-procedure-to-reactivate-a-dormant-acco

Great find. Thanks! I will withdraw it, why not! Could be 100 quid by now!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

BaRcOe wrote: »

Would be interested to hear how much it was!

• Advertisement

Starting with £20 (€25.39), even if they paid you 2% interest for every year, you'd only get €40.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

coylemj wrote:
    Even if they paid you 2% interest for every year, you'd only get €31.

Not quite.. The OP mentioned pounds. So 1.27 x 31, if they use the original pound to euro conversion??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Would be interested to hear how much it was!

I'll report back here with the amount :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

I'll report back here with the amount :cool:

Interested to hear what you get back :)

tedpan wrote: »
    Not quite.. The OP mentioned pounds. So 1.27 x 31, if they use the original pound to euro conversion??

+1 realised that and have corrected the post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

coylemj wrote:
    +1 realised that and have corrected the post.

Oh yeah! Hopefully the OP gets more, let's see what happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When my granduncle died in 2007 we found a Post Office book with no activity since 1957. We closed it and got the money- not much.

Advertisement