Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attaching scaffold planks to wall

• 15-06-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi,

I need to attach a number of scaffold planks, lengthways, onto an interior garage wall. What is the safest way to do this?

I have the planks left over. I'm going to sand and stain them. Then throw up a dart board in the middle of it all for the kids :)

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Is it a stood or solid wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

A scaffold plank is heavy (would an 8' board weigh close to 18kg?) and that's before you load them with anything. If this shelving is not to be permanent and you like the "industrial" look you could build shelves with 9" hollow blocks each end as spacers. Not pretty but could look ok in a garage den or games room. It's cheap and reversible. Otherwise you'd probably need metal angle brackets made to measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I assume it's cladding rather than shelving, right?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wouldn't use scaffold boards for this. You're using it to avoid the darts that miss the board from hitting the wall, right? They'll likely just hit the boards and bounce back at the thrower, rather than penetrate and stick in.

You need something soft for what you want. Dart board surrounds are usually a dense foam material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

keithdub wrote: »
    Is it a stood or solid wall?

solid

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I assume it's cladding rather than shelving, right?
    not shelving, just covering a concrete wall

awec wrote: »
    I wouldn't use scaffold boards for this. You're using it to avoid the darts that miss the board from hitting the wall, right? They'll likely just hit the boards and bounce back at the thrower, rather than penetrate and stick in.

You need something soft for what you want. Dart board surrounds are usually a dense foam material.

hi, yes this, it will be there for ages so what kind of wood would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think it's a fine idea. Recycling and all that.

I'd use concrete screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Frame fixing screws would be your best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Steel nails and hammer them hard if you just want a quick solution and aren't too concerned about aesthetics or ever taking them down again.

But +1 to what somebody else said about using a softer wood instead, if the idea is for stray darts to stick into the wood rather than bounce back. Then again, you could always put a patch of softer wood over the scaffolding boards. More nails! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

If you are going to the trouble of sanding and staining the planks already then you are making an effort with this. If you mounted those planks an inch or two away from the wall, you could install a cheap LED strip light behind it around the edges (battery powered lights can be bought). Floating wall effect, and I haven't meet a kid yet that did like mutli-colored leds.

Not the question you asked but, you know, for the kids as you put it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

If you are going to the trouble of sanding and staining the planks already then you are making an effort with this. If you mounted those planks an inch or two away from the wall, you could install a cheap LED strip light behind it around the edges (battery powered lights can be bought). Floating wall effect, and I haven't meet a kid yet that did like mutli-colored leds.

Not the question you asked but, you know, for the kids as you put it :D

I like this.

2x2 batons express nailed to the wall and then just screw the scaffold boards to the batons.

Just my 2cents

Yeah, that's a really good idea. Might even do something similar myself sometime.

I've various bits of timber just nailed to blocks in different places myself - some with hooks attached, some as a backboard with other stuff screwed to it. And my main work bench/storage underneath space is old scaffolding boards laid horizontally across cavity blocks, and nailed into place, like somebody above suggested here before we figured out OP wants to erect these ones vertically. But really they're just the quick and lazy way out, and doing something like that with the LED lights would be a really good option to take instead.

For the kids :)

So, I had initially planned to make a few raised beds for the garden. Got the scaffold and some 2x2, etc.. I live on my father in laws farm. He heard about my plans, over with the digger and I now have a vegetable garden running the length of the garden :pac:

Lads have been asking for a darts board so I have all that stuff going spare.

I didn't really realize the weight of the planks until I moved them.

I like the idea of the lights.

If I use the 2x2 as batons do I need to use three batons going across, top, middle and bottom? Concrete screws for batons and wood screws for planks??

Thanks everyone for your help, the kids are very grateful ;):D

tinner777 wrote: »
    So, I had initially planned to make a few raised beds for the garden. Got the scaffold and some 2x2, etc.. I live on my father in laws farm. He heard about my plans, over with the digger and I now have a vegetable garden running the length of the garden :pac:

Lads have been asking for a darts board so I have all that stuff going spare.

I didn't really realize the weight of the planks until I moved them.

I like the idea of the lights.

If I use the 2x2 as batons do I need to use three batons going across, top, middle and bottom? Concrete screws for batons and wood screws for planks??

Thanks everyone for your help, the kids are very grateful ;):D

I didn't read if you were putting planks in vertically or horizontally. Presuming horizontal because planks are long, but maybe you have high or no ceiling in garage. Also, if going vertical, you'd just stand them on the floor against the wall (wouldn't you?) and then you only need to stop them falling out.

So, if horiz. I'd put up four 2x2 vertically onto wall..maybe two or three would do the job but i tend to over-do things.
    Fix planks horiz. with wood screws. If you have concrete screws, yea, use those to fix batons to wall.. they'll allow you to remove planks in future but if using spring/express nails it's not that much harder to remove.
    You're on a farm.. there's prob timber lying around you can use for batons. Up-cycle. Cut a scaffold plank in half if you're stuck (though IMO that would be a bit of a waste). Also, if not already done, leave planks inside to dry out before hanging them.. they can be v. heavy when wet.

I didn't read if you were putting planks in vertically or horizontally. Presuming horizontal because planks are long, but maybe you have high or no ceiling in garage. Also, if going vertical, you'd just stand them on the floor against the wall (wouldn't you?) and then you only need to stop them falling out.

So, if horiz. I'd put up four 2x2 vertically onto wall..maybe two or three would do the job but i tend to over-do things.
    Fix planks horiz. with wood screws. If you have concrete screws, yea, use those to fix batons to wall.. they'll allow you to remove planks in future but if using spring/express nails it's not that much harder to remove.
    You're on a farm.. there's prob timber lying around you can use for batons. Up-cycle. Cut a scaffold plank in half if you're stuck (though IMO that would be a bit of a waste). Also, if not already done, leave planks inside to dry out before hanging them.. they can be v. heavy when wet.

Was thinking of putting four of them up vertically as I do not have the space for horizontal

tinner777 wrote: »
    Was thinking of putting four of them up vertically as I do not have the space for horizontal

Can you not just rest the end of planks on the floor instead of suspending them completely off wall? Baton top and bottom to keep them away from wall if going the back-lit route with two spring nails or concrete screws each to stop it all coming away. Otherwise, if going fully suspended put four horizontal batons on wall (again 2 or 3 might do the job but I'd prefer the extra security).

You also have the option of cutting the ends off the planks to get them to fit horizontally. IMO, horizontal lines would look better but this is a garage so prob doesn't matter.

Well, we finished it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Gotta admit when i read about it i thought that it would look desperate but it turned out great.

Yeah, looks good. Hope you and the lads have lots of craic there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement